gas pedal sticking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : gas pedal sticking

Gold99HO
04-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Yea, it was reallly scary last night i blew past a red light because of it. I was doing about 45MPH then some how the gas went all the way to the floor with out me pushing it! i checked to see if the C control was on and it wasnt next thing i know am doing 95,100,105 and i couldnt stop so i just shut the car off brakes lock up let it sit for a sec and it was fine.... The pedal released itself I am not sure if it has anything to do with the DHP or not, But am going to contact someone about it there

P.S the TB plate did not stick

intrikitemo
05-22-2005, 08:11 PM
check throttle cables

grande
06-04-2005, 09:47 PM
glad you didn't wreck. i just bought an 03 gt and have found a recall about replacing some throttle stuff because of it sticking. the car was wrecked and has been off the road awhile, and since i've started driving it i notice the pedal seems to "stick" like the throttle cables/assembly/whatever these cars have/ needs greasing or lubricating. i'm thinking whoever was driving it had the throttle stick and that's how the car got wrecked.

i know you're not driving the same year car but i wonder if you're having the same problem?

Braves299
06-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Tps?

atc3434
06-04-2005, 11:03 PM
You let it get to 105 before shutting down? Man! I used to have a 1976 Nova, the throttle would stick all the time, soon as it would take off, I'd just shut down, fix it, and be on my way. Finally bought a new cable, problem solved.

Joeyavhu
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
It may be the recall that GM has out.
2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE NHTSA Recall ID Number: 04V528000
Recall Date: NOV 01, 2004
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
Potential Units Affected: 92863
Summary: CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 124, 'ACCELERATOR CONTROL SYSTEMS.' IN HOT AMBIENT CONDITIONS, THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ARM MAY STICK AT THE ATTACHMENT TO THE BRACKET AND NOT RETURN TO THE ENGINE IDLE POSITION WHEN THE OPERATOR LIFTS HIS FOOT FROM THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL.
Consequence: FAILURE TO RETURN TO IDLE COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ARM AND REPLACE THE ACCELERATOR AND BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY WITH A NEW ASSEMBLY, IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 20, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.
Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP., 04092
( http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/2003/pontiac/grand-am/se/ )

The_Wraith
08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
I got my car used this July, I didn't get it @ a Pontiac dealer, just some general used car dealer, but it only had 20,3xx miles on it. It's a 2004 GT sedan, 3 of the rims had damage, one was really bad, and some paint scratches. And it look liked part of the rear bumper was touched up/repainted (badly) etc... But the price was cheaper then one with the same miles from a Pontiac dealer.

But anyway I had this issue. Didn't really notice at first, about 3 weeks after I had the car I took it to a Pontiac dealer (since it still has factory warranty) for a noise I was having, turned out the pass-side wheel hub. I told them it seemed like my gas pedal was sticking as well.

Of course they didn't find this problem. So another 3 weeks go by, and I notice the thing is sticking when I leave work. So I take it by the dealer on my way home from work, (while it’s still doing it) so they can see, and yep, it’s sticking, will have to order part (Have to replace pedal assyb.).

So a week later when I get back from VAC, and the part is in I take it in. (on SAT) I call before they close to see if it’s ready, the guy says there just finishing up now. So when I get there, he say’s we ran into problem and will have to fix it on Monday, but you can use this loaner car (beat up ’99 Bonneville) well turns out the genius, for got to put a clip back on for the break pedal, and I guess the break pedal went to far in and trashed the break booster, so they had to replace that now.

Anyway, my gas pedal is fine now… seems, that when my car was sitting in the hot sun all day at work is when it would stick. If I drive the hour home with the air on full blast is would just start working right again…hehehe very scary…. It was like the cruise controls was on.

Now the weird thing is, the recall was for 2003, and mines a 2004. so that’s why they didn’t find the problem at first (the guy did say he remember a recall for such a issue, but when the check the status of mine nothing showed up) well my car was made in May 2003, but listed as a 2004 model… so there recall system sucks…

It may be the recall that GM has out.
2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE NHTSA Recall ID Number: 04V528000
Recall Date: NOV 01, 2004
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
Potential Units Affected: 92863
Summary: CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 124, 'ACCELERATOR CONTROL SYSTEMS.' IN HOT AMBIENT CONDITIONS, THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ARM MAY STICK AT THE ATTACHMENT TO THE BRACKET AND NOT RETURN TO THE ENGINE IDLE POSITION WHEN THE OPERATOR LIFTS HIS FOOT FROM THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL.
Consequence: FAILURE TO RETURN TO IDLE COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ARM AND REPLACE THE ACCELERATOR AND BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY WITH A NEW ASSEMBLY, IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 20, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.
Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP., 04092
( http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/2003/pontiac/grand-am/se/ )

Ajaxus
08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
hm, well that recall came out i late 2004...so there might be a possibility the problem exists in the 04 and they just havent gotten around to it yet. try contacting pontiac and telling them your problem is the same as that in the 03 and see if someone there has an idea. at the least you would be helping contribute to another recall.

i believe that regardless of where you got the vehicle, any gm dealer is required to take a look at your car. but i could be wrong.

EDIT: that sucks for the thread maker, but you probably should have stopped the car alot sooner. seems like you waited awhile to get it to a stop. :eek:

Rebelboy1987
08-30-2005, 05:11 PM
ghosts, haha

The_Wraith
08-31-2005, 04:35 AM
I did get it fixed, they fixed it under warrenty, it's still covered by the 3year 36k miles warrenty.
But yeah, if I didn't have the warrenty, I would of got stuck.

hm, well that recall came out i late 2004...so there might be a possibility the problem exists in the 04 and they just havent gotten around to it yet. try contacting pontiac and telling them your problem is the same as that in the 03 and see if someone there has an idea. at the least you would be helping contribute to another recall.

i believe that regardless of where you got the vehicle, any gm dealer is required to take a look at your car. but i could be wrong.

EDIT: that sucks for the thread maker, but you probably should have stopped the car alot sooner. seems like you waited awhile to get it to a stop. :eek: