when you get into an accident.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : when you get into an accident..

badboy2451
04-29-2005, 11:36 AM
so monday morning some guy decided to merge into the passenger front end of my car, tearing up the the fender, wheel and tire, along with deep scratches on my rocker and front bumper

they are tryin to give me used parts offa 2000, is this normal or should i demand new parts??

pontga00
04-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I would demand new parts...then buy some used ones and pocket the difference.

botlfed
04-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Some insurance companies will not replace with new after a car has reached 5 years of age. I would inspect every part they are going to put on the vihicle though. just to make sure that they are in good shape.

I would demand a new wheel though

brsexton
04-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Yep, this is normal for insurance companies. I hate them. Someone backed into my wifes car screwing her deck lid and bumper up. His insurance would NOT use new parts on her car. I almost got a lawyer, but decided it was not worth it. They try to cut corners any way they can.

badboy2451
04-29-2005, 12:58 PM
thanks for the input guys...guess ill have to deal with ****ty old parts then

Braves299
04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Damn, I'm sorry to hear. You got any pics?

badboy2451
04-29-2005, 01:14 PM
no, i was hopin to get some but i still live in the pre-cell carmera phone era so i dont have any...im gettin ready to take it down the shop right now since i can still drive it (sorta of) and il try and use my brothers phone to get some pics

pretty much the whole fender got smashed, along with fender liner, wheel is demolished and so is tire...ill just try and get some pics lol

nobody was hurt tho, and thats all that really matters(since his insurance is paying for the fix and the rental :))

pontga00
04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
pretty much the whole fender got smashed, along with fender liner, wheel is demolished and so is tire...ill just try and get some pics lol

I hope you're at least putting the donut on if the tire is demolished.

DrFabulous
04-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Glad no one got hurt, hopefully you get out of this with no problems.

bigbenSC
04-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Insurance companies will always spec out used parts that can easily refinished (doors, hoor, fenders, most sheetmetal really) Wheels are usually new because the cosmetic stuff is harder to fix. Plastic stuff (moldings, fascias, mirrors) are usually new as well. I have a friend who is a claims adjuster, so I figure he must be know what he's talking about. Also, they will usually never replace a part of your car with a used part that is older than the original part. Seeing as how you have a 99, parts from a 2000 should be ok, and I wouldn't complain.

Payam81
04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Good reminder to everyone to go through their insurance policies and read the "fine print".

I personally knew PROGRESSIVE does NOT always specify OEM parts (and nither GEICO, ALLSTATE, STATEFARM or USAA) but the difference between them and 21st. Century, which does specify OEM parts in every case, was too much to justify. Basically we were gonna be paying 500 bucks a year more on an '02 GA SE if we had gone with 21st. and a 250/500 coverage. We ended up with PROGRESSIVE with a 500 CSL policy + Comprehensive for about 1 grand a year.

Of course in the insurance world everything is releative but that was our case.

Here is a good comparison link which will show you some of the difference between some of the better known companies:

http://www.21st.com/cg/comparecoverage.do

bigbenSC
04-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Non OEM parts are a big problem. Do whatever you can keep them off your car. They do not go through anywhere near the safety or durability testing that the OEM parts go through. If you have to choose between used parts or non OEM, always go used!

badboy2451
04-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Non OEM parts are a big problem. Do whatever you can keep them off your car. They do not go through anywhere near the safety or durability testing that the OEM parts go through. If you have to choose between used parts or non OEM, always go used!

all the parts that they are giving me will be OEM BESIDES the headlight...they want to give me some sh!t from japan or something like that, thats not gonna go over well wheni talk to them tomorrow

i got some pics of the damage, but they are on a phone and cant really tell becuase of ****ty quality but i will post them whenever i get the chance

thanks for all the input agian!

brsexton
04-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I just think if someone hits you and its not your fault, you car should get new parts. No questions. Insurance companies are not fair.

95-GT
04-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Just as bigben said, they have to use parts from the same year or newer, and the quality of the parts have to be in good condition. If they cant find anything, they will go to a knock off, imported part thats cheaper quality. If you take it to a good repair shop, they will deny using imported junk, and purchase OEM parts.

stangdude
05-12-2005, 09:53 PM
i can relate with this crap, i got sandwiched and had plans to pay the difference and get GT bumpers put on my SE, but difference between the "reconditioned" parts the insurance company provided and the OEM GT stuff was gonna be $700 so back to stock i go...However, they couldn't find any reconditioned parts around here and the insurance company wanted to do aftermarket parts which are a pain to get to fit right, luckily my body guy is cool and told them to go to hell and ordered the OEM parts and made them agree to pay.

customcarsff
05-13-2005, 10:59 AM
hey dont know if anyone thought of this. but get the check to fix it and buy the parts yourself. i mean if your gonna get used parts might as well get them for used prices. get in there and do it your self. i'm actually doing the same thing and its costing me half as much.

MagusXIII
05-13-2005, 04:00 PM
My friend's GF got hit really hard in the rear quarter of her 1998 GAGT. The trunk lid and something else had to be a used part. If they were not used, the insurer would have declared her car a total loss. Damage was around the 5500 dollar mark.

So as much as you hate 3rd party or used parts, will you accept them if it means the insurer will fix it over totalling it?