Prestone 50/50 coolant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Prestone 50/50 coolant

rambob
04-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Has anyone tried the Prestone 50/50 coolant. It's pre mixed and it mixes with any type of coolant including Dexcool. My mechanic told me it is actually better than Dexcool. Any opinions? Thanks.

SilverGAGT04
04-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Never heard of it.

Payam81
04-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Use: Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant
It's designed for GM cars with DEX-COOL

http://www.prestone.com/products/14.gif

http://www.prestone.com/products/14.htm

stangdude
05-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I sell it every day. It IS compatible with Dexcool and wouldn't suprise me if it is better. Dexcool sucks, it is only good for eating gaskets. I've had GM mechanics tell me to recommend my customers flush all dexcool out of their vehicles after their warranty is up to prevent problems.

grande
06-04-2005, 11:15 PM
yup trash that dexcrap and go on with the 50/50. i flushed my wife's 99 se from dexcool to 50/50 and after we replaced the LIM i put the same back into it. just bought an 03 gt and i intend to flush it asap and run anything but dexcool.

badboy2451
06-05-2005, 12:40 AM
i used 50/50 to fill up my tank after my water pump went out, ive never had any problem with it at all

Malaclypse
06-05-2005, 03:51 AM
To anyone hardheaded enough to believe that Dexcool causes gasket failures...

I've changed lower intake gaskets on 75+ cars and trucks, filled them all with dexcool and haven't seen them come back at all. There is no quantifiable data that suggest dexcool causes gasket failure.

The only difference between dexcool and ethylene glycol coolants is the structure of the additive package. That only makes a difference in the life and properties of the coolant. Dexcool and Ethylene Glycol transfer heat about the same, but Dexcool resists scaling and provides better lubrication over a longer period of time due to the composition of its additive package.

I have no experience with the premixed Prestone coolants. I tend to mix my own coolant of 75% water and 25% dexcool along with two bottles of water wetter. This is something suitable for the temps in the south. The prestone coolant likely won't hurt anything... but don't listen to all the crap that's said about Dexcool. So long as a vehicle is properly maintained, dexcool is not an issue.

Panacea
06-05-2005, 08:14 AM
I sell it every day. It IS compatible with Dexcool and wouldn't suprise me if it is better. Dexcool sucks, it is only good for eating gaskets. I've had GM mechanics tell me to recommend my customers flush all dexcool out of their vehicles after their warranty is up to prevent problems.

I've never heard of it eating gaskets...

Y2KGA
06-05-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't buy the fact that dexcool eats gaskets either. If you leave any coolant into long you will have problems, period.

I know someone with a 1995 Grand Prix with a 3100 motor that was purchased new. This car was built before GM started using dexcool. It has had its LIM replaced twice. You can't blame dexcool, just poor engine and gasket design.