Gauge says im sucking power...any ideas? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gauge says im sucking power...any ideas?

shogun99
04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
I have the autometer volt meter gauge set up and it usually stays around 14. That is the volts i was told that i should always be at. But lately its dropped down to 12 regularly and even 10 sometimes!! usually when it hits 10, it only stays for a little bit. I havent added anything new and my battery is fairly new. Only thing i can think of is that i boosted my friends car a little while ago.....would that explain it?
Is 12 volts anything to really worry about?

SilverGAGT04
04-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Did jumping your buds battery draw to much from your alternator causing it to be damaged? It is possible...

cavingman
04-29-2005, 05:14 PM
you can always go to a shop or something and have them test your battery and alt...

AaronGAGT
04-29-2005, 06:34 PM
lol when i first read it... i was like "wtf... just cuz you put a turbo on a friend's car, you think your battery hates you?"

Maybe alternator probs... get that ish checked out son

DoCDooM
04-30-2005, 04:26 PM
I have the autometer volt meter gauge set up and it usually stays around 14. That is the volts i was told that i should always be at. But lately its dropped down to 12 regularly and even 10 sometimes!! usually when it hits 10, it only stays for a little bit. I havent added anything new and my battery is fairly new. Only thing i can think of is that i boosted my friends car a little while ago.....would that explain it?
Is 12 volts anything to really worry about?

It sounds like you have shorted one of the 3 rectifier diades in your alternator.

Get an AVR check (alternator / Voltage Regulator) at your local Canadian Tire store (MUCH cheaper than dealer with the same results)

That willtell you which item is the problem or if it's your battery not holding a charge, any problems with weak battery, slow engine cranking on start etc.?

MagusXIII
04-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Just a small question. How would jumpstarting a car draw power through the alternator in such a way to damage it? I have never heard of that happening nor experienced it. But then, I am not familiar with current GM alternators as my Cav is my first GM car since 1994 when I owned a 1982 Malibu. Considering how batteries are connected in parallel for a jumpstart, I do not understand how that could happen. Maybe one of our electrical wizards could enlighten this stupid Jbody owner? :D

SilverGAGT04
05-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Did you hook up your battery to his battery? With cars getting more and more fragile, you are supposed to be hooked to your battery if you are giving the jump. Then you are supposed to put the positive to the battery getting the jump. The neg is supposed to be put on a clean, good ground to reduce the possiblity of creating a short or spike. Let me know if you get what I mean.