loud ticking noise coming from around my belts...2.4 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : loud ticking noise coming from around my belts...2.4

tommyortom
04-29-2005, 11:40 PM
on my 99 malibu w/ the 2.4...there has recently been some really loud ticking noises coming from my engine.....i dont think its my engine making the noise, but something near all of the belts and the alternator on the left side if you are looking at it from the front of the car. they seem to go away when i turn my wheel, and i cant hear them if im going ......it only does this when im idling or parked. it may still be ticking, but i might not hear it because im moving.

anyone have a clue what these noises may be? also..sometimes when i take a turn somewhat sharp...i hear some weird noises too.

badboy2451
04-30-2005, 01:12 AM
that happens on my 3.4 also, never found out what it was...but i can say that i put a gatorback on andi dont think i hear it anymore, would go check but my car is in the shop

GA SE/T
04-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Hmmm, I'm only assuming but the ticking noises could possibly be from the ignition/coils, possibly the timing chain, or that last "J" you smoked is geting to you???? :whistle: J/k (I'm not calling you a pot head or anything). I've noticed that as my car/engine has aged that I have been noticing "ticking" sounds coming from the engine bay are getting a little louder or noticable as time goes on. For me it is my ignition. For some reason it has gotten louder but I'm not too worried. Also on my car to the left, there is a whining sound I get every now and then and I finally figured where it comes from. On the A/C compressor, when it gets wet it starts to wine so I spray a lil' WD40 and it goes away...... As far as the noise to the left of your engine bay, it could be a sound from your alternator as well. It's kinda hard to pinpoint a noise someone hears because it may sound like something totally different to other people......... :boogie:
Also, when you make "somewhat" sharp turns you may have noticed a "humming" noise especially when you turn all the way to the left/right while busting a b**** (U-turn), well someone told me that that noise may relate to your power steering pump or steering gear mechanism so I dunno of anything else......maybe some other people could chime in????

00SilverGA
09-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I had some ticking noise coming from mine 2.4 in the same area you describe and it turned out that my drive belt tensioner was about to come apart.

rocketfast123
09-22-2005, 12:58 AM
great another problem i got to keep an eye out for :(

00SilverGA
09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
great another problem i got to keep an eye out for :(

It wasn't too bad because I have a warranty. It would have cost me about $ 235, and also my car had about 92000 miles on her. I don't know how many miles yours has but I wouldn't worry unless you start to hear the noise. It was a rattly sound like something bouncing around in a fan but it only happened when I turned the blower on.

Ajaxus
09-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Also, when you make "somewhat" sharp turns you may have noticed a "humming" noise especially when you turn all the way to the left/right while busting a b**** (U-turn), well someone told me that that noise may relate to your power steering pump or steering gear mechanism so I dunno of anything else......maybe some other people could chime in????

uhhh, power steering, yucky. had mine go two years ago when i first bought my car, and im pretty sure there are some others here that have blown out the power steering pump. definitely something to take a look at. also, other than the sounds the car is making, does it still idle the same? or is it a bit rough? (car kinda shudders) any changes in performance and/or handling? or is it just the noise?

mr_eh
09-23-2005, 05:02 PM
mine sounds like a time bomb ticking, never cared to fix it..