pepboys issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : pepboys issue

D0M1N8R
05-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Had my car worked on at pepboys and they did a oil change, brake inspection, replaced all brake pads, replaced front rodors, replaced wipers, alignment, balanced all wheels.
As soon as I drove my car out of the place I noticed lack of power and 1/4 mile later engine started making all kinds of noises.
Took it back same day and next day they took a look at it and double check I guess everything. There trying to say its nothing they did.
Took it to citgo garage and they only told me its a internal problem. couldnt really communicate with the guy so I took it to a gm dealer down the street and they said it needs a new motor just by listening to it. They didnt want to get involved. So I took it to another gm dealer who will be checking it tomorow.
I wanted the oil analyzed by they said there not a lab.
I've spoke to 2 managers and a area manager at pepboys.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do and where to take my oil to be tested? 2 local labs here wont do it. one because they only do test for busnesses with accounts and the other because they dont test oils.

D0M1N8R
05-01-2005, 06:59 AM
I should also mension my car is a 2000 grand am 2.4L 4 cyl with 48,650 miles on it.

Mike Jung
05-01-2005, 07:23 AM
...where to take my oil to be tested? 2 local labs here wont do it...

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

http://www.wearcheck.com

urweak
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
where you low on oil before? are you low on oil now? the 2.4 doesnt do to well on low oil levels, you probably spun the #3 bearing, thats the most common problem on these motors b/c of the damn oiling system. I would contact a lawyer, see what you can do, b/c your probably looking at 2 grand or so to get the motor replaced.

D0M1N8R
05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys for the help.
Ive contacted Blackstone labs and they said they can help me out with this!
The oil was as far as I know on level and never has had a low oil problem.
The mechanic back at gm thinks there is something in the oil as well now. He suggested getting a sample to a lab at this point and I'm glad I was already on that path trying to find out where to take it. He noticed some metals in the oil and also another liquid which is not oil and does not know what it is.
I think pepboys dumped something they shouldn't have in the oil. We shall see.
Thing that really surprised me is how affordable these analyzes really are.. If I get a new motor it just might become part of the regular maintenance plus it would be nice to have a very detailed history just in case I run into another issue some day. Right now though I have a pretty good history of oil changes on the motor. But a lab result would probably be much better to show that the car really didnt have a problem before.

02andahalfgt
05-02-2005, 04:46 PM
I never trust taking my car to places like Pepboys and this just confirms my belief. The dumbass probably spilled his coffee in there. lol

Have you talked to the people at Pepboys since you had it at the dealership?

D0M1N8R
05-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Yes I've been talking back and forth with pepboys.
The results made it back from the lab. Basically there findings is the oil looks like 5w30 which is correct. Now I need to find out more about that bearing urweak mentioned. I'm guessing at this point they started it up with little to no oil and added oil after. The results that cam back from the lab does say that the wear was high enough to show a bearing failure.
All I know is I took my car there for general maintenance and it ran great. When I drove it out it ran like crap and 1/4 mile after I had some knocking in the motor.

atc3434
05-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Sounds like Pep-boys owes you a motor.

D0M1N8R
05-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Urweak, Could you please let me know where you get this information from?

D0M1N8R
05-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Looks like this matter is going to court. Any information regarding the possible ways that pepboys could have damaged the motor would be very appreciated. There trying to play it off like coincidence that my car ran fine before they touched it and 1/4 mile after driving it out of there my motor starts wrapping and I need a new one.

Mike Jung
07-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Just wondering ?

Was it what Pepboys did?

Or was it the junkyard engine that was in your car ?
(You mentioned it in your other thread.)

bwwelk
07-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I had a 97 z24 with 2.4 litre ..One sunday afternoon drove it home from church ran totally fine .. After eating dinner with my parents me and my girlfriend got in the car , started it up and it started rapping . Later found out that the oil pump had shut down and spun a bearing , my friend had a 98 that did the same thing also...

D0M1N8R
07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm to this day pretty sure its something they did. Thing ran like a champ when I brought it in. They performed there services and all of a sudden things got no sack. not even a 1/4 mile down the road from there garage its nocking.
What did they do? I can only make assumptions. Most likely started it dry and realized it then filled it with oil. But damage is already done.
The timing is far to perfect for them not to have anything to do with it.

2002GT
07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
i hope you come out on top! good luck!

slickjoe
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Put pepboys outta business. I hate the store.

polo77
07-11-2006, 12:31 PM
i agree!!!!

lvemy3100
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I feel your pain...

I have only had 1 experience with Pep Boys...

went in for an alignment and they tried to tell me that I needed to give them 950 to fix it or they couldnt let me drive my car out of there and that it would be somehow against the law if they did... lol

turned out that all I needed to replace was 1 panhard rod bushing aside from the alignment (that I went in for to begin with). I found this out from the tech that was assigned to my car.. he ended up quiting after fixing my car without the knowledge of his boss and then helped me out further by calling the police for me so that I could get pep boys to release my car to me.

so in the end yea i did end up with a free alignment and install of a bushing but it just goes to show how much they care about their customers... THEY DON'T

nail em if you can....

lone_wolf025
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I think what its going to come down to is the actual problem that arose in the engine itself. Assuming a bearing was spun, or whatever else the problem may be, I would get a confirmation on it so that way you'll have the facts in hand when you go to court. You have the oil test results, now all you need is the mechanical results.

Hurricane
07-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Just wondering ?

Was it what Pepboys did?

Or was it the junkyard engine that was in your car ?
(You mentioned it in your other thread.)

If there was a junkyard motor in there you're probably better off saving the lawyers fees.

There is probably no record as to what the condition of that motor was when it was put in. All the oil analysis tells you is that there was a major failure after the oil change. What you would need is an analysis on the oil they drained out of your car to compare it to. If that was clean, your case looks better. But if there was any indication of wear it would point more towards a coincidental failure.

Hopefully your lawyer only charges you if you win. Even if you don't you'll probably be on the hook for expenses.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of national chain garages because the quality of the work typically isn't very good.

Good luck, you're probably going to need it.

GrandAmGT1996
07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
What ended up happening...Im guessing you went to court since it was over a year ago since all this happened.

slickjoe
07-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Well it depends i guess on how much longer the engine would have lasted once it was damaged (supposedly after the oil change). Then the court can take that into consideration.