clunk sound at low speed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : clunk sound at low speed

grandamgt2002
05-01-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm having this clunk sound (just once or twice) when my wheels are turned all the way when backing up or going forward and when either turning left or right.
sound is coming from the drivers side.(low speed)

I also had a whining sound at high speeds. So I changed the wheel bearings about a month ago due to bad abs sensors. This week I changed the cv drive axle on the drivers side and that fixed the whining, but now I still have this clunk(2002 gmgt with 160,000 miles) when turning fully to left or the right, front or backwards. Now I,m wondering if its the struts. any ideas?

brsexton
05-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm having this clunk sound (just once or twice) when my wheels are turned all the way when backing up or going forward and when either turning left or right.
sound is coming from the drivers side.(low speed)

I also had a whining sound at high speeds. So I changed the wheel bearings about a month ago due to bad abs sensors. This week I changed the cv drive axle on the drivers side and that fixed the whining, but now I still have this clunk(2002 gmgt with 160,000 miles) when turning fully to left or the right, front or backwards. Now I,m wondering if its the struts. any ideas?

I had the same issue (Popping noise) with my 03 Alero. The stabilizer bar bushings needed to be lubed. That solved my problem. I have not had to noise since, but I do spray lube on them once every few months. The noise sounds much more serious.

badboy2451
05-02-2005, 08:40 AM
mine only happens when it rains...along with the whining steering column

anybody elses like this??

LDBGT
05-02-2005, 09:14 AM
it could be your stabilizer bar links... that would explain it alot or possibly balljoints but if it weas then you'd also hear it on bumps and such... id say check the stabl;izer bar bushing as said above or the links...

SilverGAGT04
05-02-2005, 06:06 PM
I think it might be a strut plate/bearing thats sticking.

cals400ex
09-30-2005, 03:40 PM
old thread, but my is most noticable when it rains too. it is getting to the point where it goes it not over small bumps even when it is dry out. i need to get this figured out...

Cryogenic02GAGT
10-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Clunking while making a strong turn in reverse is 99.9 % of the time one of your universal joints (you have 2 to each axle) have them checked for lubricant in the boot and replace boot and lube, or if it has done enough damage you may need to replace the axle. the problem is pobably the passanger side.