SES Code P1404 (did search) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES Code P1404 (did search)

vin1978
05-02-2005, 09:28 AM
My wife's 2001 GAGT is showing the code P1404 (IAT-B Circuit Malfunction/EGR Temperature Sensor) when the guy at Autozone scaned the car. He cleared the code out, but 2 miles later the SES light came back on.

I did a search here and it seems as though I should change the EGR Valve. I called the dealer to see if they could give me some insight, but he said that if I used a REAL OBDII scanner I would have gotten a more specific scan that would be either the EGR or the IAT not both.

Is he trying to scam me or is there some truth to that. Also, any other advice would be great. Thank you!!!

EDIT: Once again thank you for your help. I did some more searching and found a few threads that talk about the actual removal of the EGR valve. It sounds easy, but where the heck is it?? I am pretty mechanically inclined, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Let me know if I am nuts for trying it my self. :hammer:

Mike Jung
05-02-2005, 09:38 AM
According to: http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

P1404 = EGR Valve Stuck Open Or Circuit Performance / Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance (Closed Valve)

iceman
05-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Yep..

manual says

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The EGR position sensor is 0.2 volts more than the EGR learned minimum position when the desired EGR position is commanded to 0 percent.
The above condition is present twice.

Diagnostic Aids
Inspect for the following condition:

Excessive deposits on the EGR valve pintle or seat--Remove the EGR valve and check for deposits that may interfere with the EGR valve pintle extending completely or cause the pintle to stick

vin1978
05-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Thank you. You guys have been very helpful everytime I have posted a question.

:)

iceman
05-02-2005, 12:43 PM
No prob... let us know how it works out. Thanks for searchin :ec:

eaglesrealm
06-13-2006, 09:24 PM
No prob... let us know how it works out. Thanks for searchin :ec:

I thought I read somewhere online or in my Haynes manual that you should replace it and then clear the SES code before starting it the first time?!?

Does it really matter? Can I buy the EGR, replace it, and then take it to AutoZone for clearing the DTC?

I also have the P1404, which can be the IAT sensor?!? I am betting it to be the EGR based on the odds of an EGR failing over an IAT sensor, plus the IAT looks clean and nice. Did not do an Ohm check yet on anything.

All input is appreciated, thanks guys...and gals!

eaglesrealm
06-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I thought I read somewhere online or in my Haynes manual that you should replace it and then clear the SES code before starting it the first time?!?

Does it really matter? Can I buy the EGR, replace it, and then take it to AutoZone for clearing the DTC?

I also have the P1404, which can be the IAT sensor?!? I am betting it to be the EGR based on the odds of an EGR failing over an IAT sensor, plus the IAT looks clean and nice. Did not do an Ohm check yet on anything.

All input is appreciated, thanks guys...and gals!

Well - I wasted my money tonight on an EGR - based on the P1404 code and playing the odds. Changed to a new EGR, had the code cleared, came back on during a drive with the second engine cycle on. Any other ideas? I may just leave it, since it does not seem to be hurting anything. Know anyone that needs an EGR valve?!?

brsexton
06-15-2006, 08:15 PM
It may have not been the EGR valve itself, but the EGR ports may be clogged with carbon. I had this happen on a Mazda.

eaglesrealm
06-15-2006, 08:18 PM
It may have not been the EGR valve itself, but the EGR ports may be clogged with carbon. I had this happen on a Mazda.

I looked into the intake area and tried to see if I could get anything out, but there was no build up that I could see of get to. How far back would someone need to clean?