transmission problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission problems

1hotgagt
05-04-2005, 06:43 AM
yesterday i was on my way home and i was on a slight incline at a light waiting to make a turn and i stepped on the gas and didnt move then my car shifted hard and then i went like my tranny dropped out of gear and then just caught. also when i park on a slope or incline and put it in park and take my foot off the brake my car like "rolls" before it comes to a rest is that the tranny slipping and not caughting? and around 30 mph my car will just drop off and then pick up again once i hit 40 mph im thinking of having a tranny flush im close to 59000 miles now any ideas of what else it could b if not tranny? or any imput

GrahamKracka
05-04-2005, 06:51 AM
how far does it roll? if its only a few inches its just the parking brake on the front wheels..i have the same problem(my tranny is brand new and barely has 1000 miles on it..so it cant be the tranny..unless my new one is ****ed). As for the other problem...i dunno..but thats what i would think

brsexton
05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
The rolling part on a hill is normal. It is a parking claw that holds the car in place. After letting off the brake, it must catch on this claw to hold the car. There would be a problem if it did not catch though. As for your other issue, This sounds like you could be low on fluid. You really should get the transmission serviced and go from there.

1hotgagt
05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
it rolls a couple of inches before it even catches and also i forgot to mention that if im on a hill and i put it in reverse and take my foot off the brake it will roll forwards too even when in gear i ahve to use to feet on brake and gas or i will just roll. i am planning on gettin fluid friday.

action
05-04-2005, 09:55 AM
If your stopped on a steep hill you have to hold the car with the brake even when in gear. If not the car will roll down the hill. As you apply the gas the torque converter spins andd locks and accelerates the car up the hill. You should never hold the car on a hill with the gas pedle for extended periods (applying part way), you will definantly burn something up!!!

SilverGAGT04
05-06-2005, 05:54 PM
It overheats the torque converter and fluid.