Grand am quality ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grand am quality ?

93 GT
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Okay , the good things about my mothers '93 grand am...

She got it for a little under 2 grand a cuple years ago with a little under 200,000 miles on it.

If its wet out it can peal out all the way into 3rd gear (I only did it once and never will again)

Mother won`t let my sis drive it because it has so much power (LOL)

It almost always gets us to where we need to go .

And now for the bad...

Its got way TOO MUCH plastic , realy it shouldn`t be leagal to have this much plastic on a car.

I change the oil every 3,000 miles but every time I can see some metal in the drain pan (we use good oil and filters , not the cheap crap)

there is alwase something going wrong with it , often times something plastic breaking.

For the suspension I`ve had to replace the struts , mounting plates , lower balljoints, tie rod ends, and the CV joint boots . It looks like the tripods will be going out soon do to all the grease they have been spittin out.

The drivers side floor board is always wet (the coolent never gets low)

I`ve had to replace the heater core and the heater hoses that go to and from it

I`ve had to replace the coils

I just got done replacing the heater hose that is under the coil pack (on 3.3 engines) and the little plastic fitting it hooks into that screws into the intake manifold. I replaced it with a brass one like the factory should have in the first place. BTW that hose didn`t just leak , it ripped down the side.

The window switch and motors are getting screwy with me

Now the tranny is leaking (well more like a stream) frome the side pan or the case where it bolts together. It don`t matter witch one , ether way I gotta hook the engine & tranny up to my chain lift and take off the drivers side motor mount. There might be a chance that I will need to remove the tranny . If that happens I`ll prolly just replace it with the old tranny from my sisters sunbird and save my time and sanity from working on the grand ams tranny .

Any one else have this much truble with one grand am ?

Joker694
05-04-2005, 01:55 PM
you have a 12 year old car with 200,000 miles and it is giving you trouble??

93 GT
05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes alot more truble than her 20 year old Econoline 150 van and my 29 year old Maverick put together .

Oh yea the van has almost 194,000 miles and the Mav has well over 200,000 miles.

bigbenSC
05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Did you own those other vehicles since they were new? How do you know that previous owners didn't repair some parts of the vehicles? That analogy is incorrcect. Do you know what the engineered shelf life of a new vehicle is today? 10 years. That is how long cars are designed to live for without having major overhauls. Cars get old and need fixed- thats just how it is. You have nothing to be unhappy about with your 12 year old car. Now if this was a 2 year old car and was having the problems you speak of then you could bitch about them.

Sorry if this seems like a rant, but I hate how consumers expect everything to last forever without routine repair and maintainence. Other engineers can understand.

Matt95GT
05-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Sounds about on par for a car with that age/miles. Consider yourself lucky that you dont have more serious transmission problems, they are common on that engine/tranny combo.

You'll learn to appreciate all the plastic after friends open the door into signs/trees/etc a few dozen times. Or you jack the car back down on top of a jack stand bending the fascia in/up 6-7 inches and can fix it with nothing more than a heatgun. :whistle:

ChrisB
05-04-2005, 02:26 PM
That Maverick have 3 on the column?

93 GT
05-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Did you own those other vehicles since they were new? How do you know that previous owners didn't repair some parts of the vehicles? That analogy is incorrcect. Do you know what the engineered shelf life of a new vehicle is today? 10 years. That is how long cars are designed to live for without having major overhauls. Cars get old and need fixed- thats just how it is. You have nothing to be unhappy about with your 12 year old car. Now if this was a 2 year old car and was having the problems you speak of then you could bitch about them.

When my mother got the maverick it had less than 50,000 miles on it . It still had the original shocks all round , it still has the original heater hoses , original exhaust system including the cat, carb may have been rebuilt but from what I could tell it wasn`t, besides routine maintainence the engine wasn`t never messed with . The head gasket blew on her way to scool one morning (nursing school) but it didn`t stop her from driving it 400 miles (couldn`t miss a day at school ;) ) untill she bought the grand am. After she got the grand am she gave the mav to me and we brought it out to my uncles house to keep it out of the way untill it got warm enough to work on it . Four months later I primed the carb , cranked it over, she fired right back to life and I drove it home . I`m not saying we never had truble with it but when something did go wrong with it we could still drive it home, it has only been towed once. In 5 + years my mother was driving the maverick the radiator went bad (pin hole leak by the cap) , the U joint went bad , a ball joint went bad , a tie rod end went bad and a radiator hose went bad. I`m sure I had to replace a cuple gaskets as well.

My aunt bought the van from the original owner when it was still purdy new . The onlythings she told me she had to have replaced was the front bumper (she got backed into) and the right rear door (boat came off the hitch and slammed into the door) . I`m sure the u joints or something like that have been replaced before we got it but it looked all original to me. I have replaced the fuel pump , rebuilt the carb , and replaced the stock timing chain with a dual roller since my mother has had it.

You'll learn to appreciate all the plastic after friends open the door into signs/trees/etc a few dozen times. Or you jack the car back down on top of a jack stand bending the fascia in/up 6-7 inches and can fix it with nothing more than a heatgun.

I can only remember a bumping the door into something a cuple times and yes you`r right . Its nice not needing to need to do body work every time. When I was talking about the plastic though I was talking about the plastic radiator end caps , the plastic heater core end caps and tubes, the plastick power stearing tank, the plastic center caps on the wheels , and I was a little shocked when I found out the valve covers were made out of plastic.

That Maverick have 3 on the column?

Well kinda , it was a column shift 3 speed auto (C4) . The colum shift isn`t hooked up any more though...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/76maverick/gaugesafter.jpg

ChrisB, if ya wanna see more of it...

engine... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/76maverick/afterengin1.jpg

the car itself...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/76maverick/newpicofmymav.jpg

rocketfast123
05-05-2005, 11:14 AM
That's not alot a problems for a car with 200k+.

Y2KGA
05-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't complain about a 12+ year old car with 200,000 miles on it. 200,000 miles is quite an accomplishment for any car. You said you bought it a few years ago, how many miles does it have on it now?

orangej
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Well, I think you have a right to your say! My grand am I've had forever and everytime I turn around, something goes wrong. It's a 92 w/130,000 miles and as you all do, I take really good care of my cars. I have a 95 Mustang I've owned just as long as the ga and I haven't had as many problems, same w/ my 95 cougar. The grand am has lots of plastic as well and stuff breaks all the time. I could list it all but you've already heard it. To list the other cars problems, I could do if you like. The lists are much smaller. The Mustang has 160,000 miles and cougar 145, 000.

93 GT
05-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I was wrong , it has under 170,000 on it now . I don`t know where I got 200,000 from :wtf . The way it acts it isn`t gonna make it to 200,000 , the engin is starting to get all screwy with me now. I hope its just the injectors.

I prolly wouldn`t be so gripy about the darned grand am if it was a little easier to work on. There has only been a cuple times that I`ve worked on it without bleeding :( .

Panacea
05-05-2005, 03:12 PM
He's 17 guys....

Seriously dude, all the things you specify are common replacements. Most cars need those things changed at about 70-100k miles. I would sh!t my pants if my car lasted 170,000miles.

70 BOWTIE
05-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Man I don't think mine will last 100k I can't get it to run more than a block before it just dies.I bought it used soooo I'm gonna replace the coil's and seeif that is the culprit. :clap:

PontiacGA
05-06-2005, 06:15 AM
I wouldnt say it's a lot of problems either. I've been VERY lucky with my 93. Replaced the tranny at around 150K (I hear most 99+ lose it before 100K? Is that true?), replaced the shocks/struts after 120K, and my car has been lowerd since around 15K. Other than a window regulator replacement twice, the car is as strong as ever with 164K on it. Wouldnt trade it off for anything. :)

What I dont understand is your comment on plastic? It's a newer car, not something from the 60's. EVERY new car has plastic everywhere since the 80's. It's cheaper, lighter and easier to shape (or mold).

And about the bleeding, didnt you ever hear the old saying about if you dont bleed when working on a car, you didnt do it right. lol