1993 GRAND AM SE Fuel Consumption - HELP! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1993 GRAND AM SE Fuel Consumption - HELP!

turfsniffer
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Hello,

I was hoping that someone here can help me out.

OK so here is some info on what I have.

Grand Am SE 1993, 2dr with 6 cylinder engine.

Mileage is clocking 150,000.

The car seems to run smooth enough but I am starting to think there maybe a gas problem.

I get a string smell of gas inside and outside the car.

The gauge is acting funny, not telling me the true amount of gas in the tank - for example this afternoon I had a half tank, travelled approx 3 miles and parked it for a number of hours. When I start the engine its telling me there is less than a QTR.

Does anyone know if this car has a high consumption of fuel and would it be right having to re-fuel it twice within 100 miles?

Your help is greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Matt95GT
05-04-2005, 05:20 PM
If you smell gas and it mysteriously disappears when not driving, I but you have a fuel leak.

Theory #2: Running rich. When was the last time the O2 sensor was replaced? Howabout spark plugs? No/intermittent spark would do it too... and you can tell alot from plug condition when you remove and inspect them. Are your exhaust tips overly black with soot?

Edit: on second thought... if must be a leak. Even running pig-rich with double the fuel pressure and large injectors, my car still made it more than 100 miles per tank.

turfsniffer
05-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I just purchased the car last week and from what I was told the O2 was reaplaced last year.

As for the Spark Plug, I didnt know that could be cause, I will get these checked out.

Also, yes there is black soot in the exhaust, infact, when I rev the engine the smoke is black.

Im suspecting a leak somewhere, the car needs its 3rd tank of gas since i have owned it and I have only clocked 115 miles.

Thanks again, any advice would be great!

EASTERBUNNY
05-05-2005, 06:06 AM
It's Also Possoble To Have A Evap System Leak Which Would Cause You To Have A Strong Smell Of Gas Inside And Out Side The Car

Matt95GT
05-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Oh, and a few other things I thought of...

If you have a bad fuel pressure regulator it'll dump fuel into the vacuum line and into the engine. Pull the vacuum line off while it's running, nothing should come out.

Also, you have a MAF sensor... if it was damaged the ECU could be injecting way too much fuel. But, I'm almost thinking it's mechanical... sounds like you're literally dumping fuel.

Ridenour
05-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Leaking injectors could lead to horrible mileage + raw gas smell

turfsniffer
05-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Hello All,

So here is the latest.

I noticed yesterday that my back bumper was covered in thick black soot, more than before and after Matt's post I knew something was very wrong.

We ran a computer read out which gaves us code 13 & code 44, the O2 sensor.

So I replced the O2 sensor, which had a hairline crack on it. Once replaced I filled the car up with more gas and let her run for a bit.

Now the car seems to be running more smoothly, clocked 60 miles on it and not much change in the fuel gauge - also, the fumes from the exhaust are cleaner.

So it would seem that my issue is solved, but I am watching this very closely.

I will see how many miles I will get with this full tank and hopefully that will be it.

Thanks everyone for your help with this, I have learned so much from your posts.

Best regards,

Gavin.

Randy G
05-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I have a similar GA, and I'm getting 27-29 mpg at 55 mph highway speeds.