check oil light check engine light check guages light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : check oil light check engine light check guages light

grand am QT
05-05-2005, 09:14 AM
i just got my oil changed. my check oil lights on. i brought it back to the place that changed my oil. they said they cant find a problem. they checked the censor. they cant figure it out. they called a mecanic over he cant figure it out. my check engine light is on and i cant find a problem. and my car has allways gotten bad gass milage like 12 miles to the gallon, well now its getting 4 or 5 miles to the gallon. and i just cant afford that ive had my car back for a week after it sat for 4 months and all these problems happend. and what does the check guages light mean? its a 1992 4 door gt if any one has any ideas or suggestions that would be great. thanks :)

Matt95GT
05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Check oil = low oil level (sensor in bottom of oil pan)
Check engine (should actually be 'service engine soon') = ECU is throwing a code
Check gauges = high coolant temp or low oil pressure or low fuel level.

What is your oil pressure when at idle? How's the oil level (check dipstick) If either are low I wouldn't go run the car let alone drive anywhere.

If the SES light is on, get the code read - and not from a lube monkey at the Quick change oil place.

Raven1
05-06-2005, 07:49 AM
You have to reset your light. Look in your owners manual. Their is a panel as you open the drivers side door and their is a reset button in their. The owners manual will tell you step by step how to reset the oil light.

iceman
05-06-2005, 07:52 AM
That's the change oil light, not check oil.. This is a 92 not 99+

Raven1
05-06-2005, 10:01 PM
ok sorry. I was at work reading my emails. Misread!

grand am QT
05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
no its a check oil light
and yeh its a service engine soon light

Matt95GT
05-12-2005, 10:12 AM
So you're saying both the "Check oil" and "Service Engine Soon" lights are on, right?

To diagnose the "Check oil" light... first do the obvious and use the dipstick to check your oil level. If it is filled properly, you most likely have a bad oil level sensor... which is very common on the 92-95's. (both my cars included) To me, it isn't worth the trouble to drop the oil pan and swap it, so I leave it be.

Onto the "Service engine soon light" (assuming your oil level is not low... if it's low, take care of that first)...
Do you notice any ailments when driving? Any other issues? If not, it's likely something minor (emissions related). Since you have a 92 you can get the code using the following 'paperclip' proceedure:

1) Look under the steering wheel for the computer diagnostic port. Mine was behind a little plastic cover that popped off, but in some cars, it's out in the open.

2) Get a paperclip and unfold it. Put one end of the paperclip in the upper-rightmost terminal, and put the other end of the paperclip in the terminal directly to the left of that one. You should notice that these two terminals have metal contacts in them, so that's how you should know, if the instructions don't make sense.

3) Turn the key to the "On" position, but don't start the car. You should notice that the engine fan turns on and that the Service Engine Soon light starts flashing (or Check Engine light, depending on which one your car says). It will flash out a sequence of flashes and pauses, which are the codes. The first thing it will do is flash out a code 12 three times. That is: flash, pause, flash flash. And it'll do that three times. That just means that the system is in diagnostic mode. After the code 12s are done, it will flash out any trouble codes stored in the ECM. For instance, my old Grand Am always flashed out a code 41. That is, flash flash flash flash, pause, flash. It also flashes out each trouble code three times, just like it does for code 12. After it is done with all the trouble codes, it'll flash out a code 12 again to tell you it is done.

4) After you retrieve all the codes, let us know what they are here on the board. Several of us have manuals in which we can look up the codes and give you an indication as to what is wrong. Generally it's just a sensor of some sort, but not always.

5) After you fix the offending part, be sure to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the codes from the ECM. Even though you fixed the problem, the ECM will store the trouble code unless you clear them.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
09-18-2005, 09:10 PM
for check engine light . check gas pipe at gas tank mine had holes . smelyt no gas smells either.