GAGT.com Dedicated Server Update [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : GAGT.com Dedicated Server Update

Jeremy
05-05-2005, 11:23 AM
*** UPDATE ***
We purchased our new dedicated server and are in the process of getting it built and put on the new host companies NOC. We're hoping to have the site transfered over to the new server by the middle of next week.

We thank you all for your patience and understanding as we're working through the bumps that come up when you run a site as large as this one.

On a side note, I'm sure ya'll have noticed the Premium Membership banner at the top of the forum by the PFYC banner. We're not doing this to turn the site into a pay site, but we're looking for any financial help you guys can spare to keep the site going. Ryan and I are looking to expand what we offer our Premium Members, without taking anything away from our regular members. With the new dedicated server, we may have more options to put some of our ideas in place (cough..cough.. subdomain & server space..cough..cough).. but who knows. The more help we get from you guys, the better we can make the GAGT.com experience.

AMRAAM4
05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
W00t! Can I be the sites agent? I feel I fit the "Drew Rosenhaus" mold

badboy2451
05-07-2005, 10:26 AM
so im not tooo familiar with all the subdomains and server space...what exactly else can you do to the site now with this dedicated server??

ndprunner22
05-07-2005, 03:19 PM
each premium member could have their own "subdomain" where they would store/access pics of their car and have like a mini cardomain each premium member would also have space to store these files

well thats what i think it should be for at least

lightningGA
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
each premium member could have their own "subdomain" where they would store/access pics of their car and have like a mini cardomain each premium member would also have space to store these files

well thats what i think it should be for at least

I would love to be a premium member....but I can't post most pics of my car due to forum rule #14. :mad:

AMRAAM4
05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
I would love to be a premium member....but I can't post most pics of my car due to forum rule #14. :mad:
That rule isn't really needed anymore now more than ever. Dedicated personal server + own URL + privately funded/run = "other company" can go p1ss up a pink and black rope with their stupid ass legal bullsh1t.

lightningGA
05-07-2005, 07:44 PM
That rule isn't really needed anymore now more than ever. Dedicated personal server + own URL + privately funded/run = "other company" can go p1ss up a pink and black rope with their stupid ass legal bullsh1t.

that would be cool if it wasn't needed any more......I'd become a premium member that day :D

gatorademan
05-09-2005, 09:26 PM

So that means that after we get our own server we can talk about/discuss/post pics of product from "those who we don't speak of"?

AMRAAM4
05-10-2005, 06:57 AM
So that means that after we get our own server we can talk about/discuss/post pics of product from "those who we don't speak of"?
yes, so long as there are no derogatory comments that are meant to be taken by readers reading the post as a direct fact of what the company or its owners are/look like/do/have done/etc. (that would be libel). Now, opinions, sarcasm, jokes are in the eye of the beholder but in all actuality you can generally discern those easily.

The main problem is..."someone" likes to legally attack people's jokes or opinions because they have a fragile self esteem. They or anyone else can say what they want, but that is the truth. I think all of us have been on the wrong end of jokes or bad stories, but we suck it up and move on. Not to mention those who know the real info, generally reply to those situations by performing better/being a better person/selling more product or whatever the optimal outcome of the situation will be, and showing those making the accusations as wrong. Obviously in the aforementioned situations this does not occur. I will not name names, but I heard some very strong info that there is a company (or 2) who wanted to sponsor LS1GTO.com, however, their donation was graciously not accepted :heh: :heh: There are quite a few previous Grand Am members over on that VERY POPULAR GTO board, too.

Jeremy
05-10-2005, 07:13 AM
yes, so long as there are no derogatory comments that are meant to be taken by readers reading the post as a direct fact of what the company or its owners are/look like/do/have done/etc. (that would be libel). Now, opinions, sarcasm, jokes are in the eye of the beholder but in all actuality you can generally discern those easily.

The main problem is..."someone" likes to legally attack people's jokes or opinions because they have a fragile self esteem. They or anyone else can say what they want, but that is the truth. I think all of us have been on the wrong end of jokes or bad stories, but we suck it up and move on. Not to mention those who know the real info, generally reply to those situations by performing better/being a better person/selling more product or whatever the optimal outcome of the situation will be, and showing those making the accusations as wrong. Obviously in the aforementioned situations this does not occur. I will not name names, but I heard some very strong info that there is a company (or 2) who wanted to sponsor LS1GTO.com, however, their donation was graciously not accepted :heh: :heh: There are quite a few previous Grand Am members over on that VERY POPULAR GTO board, too.

Don't go putting words in our mouth Bob. Just cuz we're moving over to our own dedicated server doesn't mean we're going to be changing the rules about "you know who". The two issues are not related.

02andahalfgt
05-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Forum rule 14 should stay in affect, dedicated server or not. No matter what is said in any tone 'he' is still going to try to act tough and start trouble. The Guru's don't need that headache and I don't blame them. If you absolutely NEED to talk about those products or view/post pictures they have a whole website of their own set up. /$.02