Electrical Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

White99GAGT
05-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Well I just bought the GAGT last week with a known issue form somebody I work with and now I am stumped with this problem. It is seem I have a short somewhere and just wanted to get peoples opinions or suggestions about it. I was thinking it might be a bad multi function switch and want to know if the switch might be the root of my problems. Also thought it might be caused by a bad BCM so does the BCM control all these function. And all fuses are good and relay seem to be working. Thanks for you help.

The problems:

1) When headlights are on either by the switch or automatically my blinkers blink really fast. Called dealer and no recalls, I was thinking it was because of the hazard switch really but hazards flash normally.

2) Horn works sometimes and not others, when it is not working it will and pressed it will light up cruise control button and fog light switch. When car is off the instrument cluster warning lights will all light up and stay lit till horn is released.

3) Cruise control goes out when headlights are turned on or blinker is being used and reengage when headlights are turned off and blinker are not in use.

4) Drivers headlight is out, bulb is good but the wires are showing a ground and no power.

5) Headlight stays on after car is turned off. Where exactly is the sensor for the DRL.

6) When switch for fog lights is turned on the parking lights become brighter, other times the fog lights turn on very dim.

rizer
05-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Man, sounds like one of the trouble boards we had to figure out at school, heh. Talk about cross-shorts

Have you tried following any of the wires? Theres diagrams floating around here.

White99GAGT
05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
All right I have some good news for myself, after being bored for a little while I decided to try messing with car once again to trace some of the problems. When I was checking out the relays on the passenger side I noticed there was some dried up liquid or something on the fog light relay casing. So I pulled the relay and replaced it with another one and I also pulled out the export relay (What ever that is for) checked contacts and put it back in it place, right after that I checked to see if that did anything and what do you know blinkers are blinking normally, horn is working, fog lights are on and bright, cruise control stays on when engaged. The only issue that remains is the driver side headlight is still not getting power. But I guess that can wait till tomorrow when there is daylight.

I don't know if it is possible but I guess the fog light relay was the cause of most of my problems.

Does anyone know what color wires should there be and which one is the ground wire, power wire for high and low beam? I have two blue and one pink i believe.

iceman
05-10-2005, 10:30 PM
I posted the diagram before, can't remember off the top of my head, but pin B (center) will always be +12v, and A or C will go negative to turn low/high beam on.. I just don't remember which is which so you will have to poke around. Take a look at the HID how-to install, there should be a pic of the 9007 connector and a pin-out

does this car have a sunroof by any chance?

White99GAGT
05-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Yes it does have a sunroof. Thanks for your help.

White99GAGT
05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Okay here's another question for any reason on the fuse block, for the driver's side headlight fuse slot, should it have power on both sides. One side is reading high voltage and the other is reading really low voltage. The passenegr headlight fuse slot is only showing power on one side. Also the really low voltage on the drivers side fuse solt will disapper when the high beams are turned on. Any suggestions.

White99GAGT
07-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Ok, found what my problem was a bout a month ago and figure I will post it just incase someone else has this problem. It looks like a had a bad relay for the fogs light which corrected some of the issues but the main problem with my headlight being out was that the wires for the headlight itself were actually fused together in the wire loom, so after a couple of hour of cutting and slicing to fix the bad wires, my electrical issues are just about gone.