can top speed void warranty? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : can top speed void warranty?

cad_99gt316
05-13-2005, 09:01 AM
one of my friends brought this to my attention. he heard that newer cars (in general) have something in the warranty that if u go over a certain speed, then ur warranty will be voided. i guess the computer can tell if uve been going too fast. this sounds far fetched. i dont beleive it. but has anyone heard of anything like this? (is that better, ICEMAN?)

Kdawg207
05-13-2005, 09:18 AM
i will go on a short limb and say yur friend likes to hear himself talk

pontga00
05-13-2005, 09:20 AM
The SRT4 has that....my cousin's tranny exploded and they knew that he had reached redline many times and that he had reached top speed. The computer logged all that info.

GrahamKracka
05-13-2005, 09:21 AM
if that was the case...my warranty would have been voided.....a long time ago

Kdawg207
05-13-2005, 09:25 AM
I know it all gets logged...they use it accident investigations....but never have I heard it void a warranty

blake
05-13-2005, 09:46 AM
i dont think speed matters as much as if you redlined/over-revved it

GrahamKracka
05-13-2005, 09:54 AM
i dont think speed matters as much as if you redlined/over-revved it

^ done that too...My ex thought it would be funny to put my shifter down to 1st @ 75 mph....it was way over redline for about 3 secs lol...and it made funny noises too.....5000 miles and a new tranny later....:)

tonystewart
05-13-2005, 10:06 AM
^ done that too...My ex thought it would be funny to put my shifter down to 1st @ 75 mph....it was way over redline for about 3 secs lol...and it made funny noises too.....5000 miles and a new tranny later....:)

Did you smack that ho?

pontga00
05-13-2005, 02:21 PM
I know it all gets logged...they use it accident investigations....but never have I heard it void a warranty

Oh yeah...it didn't void his warranty...but they kinda gave him some **** for it.

MagusXIII
05-13-2005, 03:56 PM
My question is this. As long as you do NOT modify the engine to go over the FACTORY SET redline and top speed, how can they void your warranty?? :wtf I mean, my Cav has a 6500rpm redline and a 110mph governed top speed. That is from the FACTORY. As long as I do not do anything to eliminate those limits, then GM cannot do a thing to me even if they wanted to. And my airbag module will easily tell if I went over the GM-set redline/top speed.

SilverGAGT04
05-14-2005, 12:13 PM
No, top speed will not void your warranty. There is a "black box" in some cars that record "abusive maneuvers" but that is mainly in use for seeing if a powertrain failure was driver error or product defect. SVT mustangs have this and I know a guy at a Ford dealer. This guy brought in his SVT mustang that was knocking BIG time. The recorder was accessed and the peak RPM reached was over 7200 RPM. (The car was highly modded for people that donít believe that) Average shift speed was over 6800 RPM. Needless to say, that was driver abuse. That guy didnít get a motor under warranty. Actually the factory warranty was scratched all together.
Unless your circumstances are anything like that, I wouldnít worry about it. Yes the SDM (air bag module) records speed and other things like which belts were buckled, yaw rate of car after hit (if it has the sensor) and whether the brakes were applied or not and other stuff like that. That is only if the car is hit and the airbags are set off.

The factory will only pull the warranty if you abuse your car (most of us do lol) or you seriously modded your car and caused a powertrain failure.

Heres an example... You put a exhaust on your car, maximum additional hp output, 5 maybe 10 hp. Your car is no way over powered.

or maybe... You put on a nitrous system, something crazy like a 100 shot system. So your putting 275 hp to your trans and on a shift you snap the input shaft on the trans. That is not going to be covered and may as well forget your warranty. This is the only way I can explain it.

korbendallas68
05-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Of course we're only talking about newer cars. My 95 would never be able track all that info.

SilverGAGT04
05-14-2005, 12:39 PM
That is correct, mainly in the past 4-6 years.

rocketfast123
05-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Did you smack that ho?

I prefer a baseball bat myself.