Trunk Light stays on for a few mintues... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Light stays on for a few mintues...

LordNor
05-15-2005, 09:04 PM
I've got a little bit of a problem.. My trunk light stays on for a few minutes whenever the rest of the lights in the car come on, and then it stays on even after the rest of them have gone off. I did a little bit of modifications to it. I've included a wiring diagram of what I've done. I think it should work, but for some reason the light won't go off now.

http://www.thecornwellfamily.com/grandamgt/pictures/albums/diagrams/TrunkLightControlVer2.sized.jpg

As you can see, I'm getting power for the lights from a different source. I cut right where the plug for the trunk lamp was and have it wired to the relay. It turns on just fine and I can turn on either set of lights. The only difference in what I have above is there is a diode between 86 and 85 to protect against voltage spikes. The reason I did this was to allow me to use higher power devices in the trunk and still have it operate only when the trunk lid was open.

Any ideas?

LordNor
05-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Ttt

swordfencer
05-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Try hitting the relay and see if the light goes off. From the looks of your diagram, you could have a relay that is sticking. You might also have a switch that is sticking as well.

LordNor
05-19-2005, 08:10 AM
When I first noticed it was a problem I whipped out the service manual to try and find a wiring diagram to see how things were connected. After about 10 minutes of shutting everything off and closing the trunk I heard the relay click. (It was really quiet and there was nothing else in the garage.) It shutoff at the normal timeout period. That's why I don't think the relay is stuck. My closest guess is that I've got something attached to a floating ground or what ever senses to turn the light off isn't detecting enough current. If it's the case of not enough current, a few resistors in parallel to ground should solve that problem. I had a pretty bad headache when I was looking at the manuals so I wasn't thinking too clearly. I'm going to have to give them another go.