Sraping noise from steering [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sraping noise from steering

HotLikeFire
05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
When I turn.. braking or not.. I get a scraping noise from my steering shaft.. at least thats where it sounds like its coming from..

I have new tires... brakes will need to be redone soon.. not sure what helse it could be... and of course i am not auto-savvy.. any ideas?

Oh and.. hi everyone :)

Kdawg207
05-16-2005, 12:52 PM
i have no idea....but thats a great pic you have up

HotLikeFire
05-16-2005, 01:15 PM
thanks.

But I'm actually looking for help on my car :)

Kdawg207
05-16-2005, 01:17 PM
i know.....lol....just noticing...not droppin a line lol

i'm sure someone will have the answer

DumpsterDamon
05-16-2005, 01:30 PM
is it like a metal on metal scrape or more of a grinding noise?

HotLikeFire
05-16-2005, 01:33 PM
is it like a metal on metal scrape or more of a grinding noise?

almost like a grinding noise.

DumpsterDamon
05-16-2005, 01:36 PM
check your power steering fluid recently?

HotLikeFire
05-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Nooooooope. How would I go about doing that?

mwolverines
05-16-2005, 01:47 PM
under the engine where it says power steering fluid. check it.

HotLikeFire
05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
You guys make me feel like an idoit. But thanks, i'll do that :)

CoopGT
05-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Could be a hub bearing . Are any of the idiot lights coming on ( ABS or no traction)? Don't know if that will help but I thought I'd put that out there .

CruzinGT33
05-16-2005, 04:15 PM
i know.....lol....just noticing...not droppin a line lol

i'm sure someone will have the answer

lol burned!!

J/k, I'd check powersteering fluid, could be a stuck caliper maybe.

1hotgagt
05-17-2005, 06:45 AM
hey jessi my gf lives pretty close to maple grove mayb ill stop by one day and check your car for you.

tomh
05-17-2005, 07:15 AM
well i have the same problem with my car after putting new tires on it. It turns out that the black plastic stuff around the wheel well (I dont know the actual name for it) was bent in and it makes one hellava a grinding noise

tonystewart
05-17-2005, 07:37 AM
My car was making an aweful noice when I let my brakes wear down too far. It was a terrible experience. I ended up having to replace the front two rotors. I had no idea my brakes were so worn. It's tough to tell some times. Look around your front rotors (the shiny disks behind your rims) for scrape marks or rings that go all the way around. If they are present you def need new brakes. It's prob not the problem, but your hot.

Joker694
05-17-2005, 07:54 AM
My car was making an aweful noice when I let my brakes wear down too far. It was a terrible experience. I ended up having to replace the front two rotors. I had no idea my brakes were so worn. It's tough to tell some times. Look around your front rotors (the shiny disks behind your rims) for scrape marks or rings that go all the way around. If they are present you def need new brakes. It's prob not the problem, but your hot.

its tough to tell but it was making an awful noise? the awful noise should have been the hint that you had a problem. your wear bars should let you know when your pads are getting low, you will hear them squeaking as your tires turn. let them go too far and you will grind your rotors and have to replace them as you did

HotLikeFire
05-17-2005, 08:10 AM
well the noise isn't THAT bad, it's mostly when i'm going slow and taking a turn that I notice it.

CoopGT - occasionally those lights pop on if I hit a bump while turning to quickly and lose traction.. not the ABS but the traction idiot light.. but once I resume traction it turns off.. so I don't think that is the issue.

I need to get the tires rotated and I think i'll have them check the brakes and the things you mentioned while they're at it.

Meanwhile..i'll check that power steering fluid ;) hehe thanks guys.

tonystewart
05-17-2005, 12:15 PM
the awful noise should have been the hint that you had a problem. your wear bars should let you know when your pads are getting low, you will hear them squeaking as your tires turn. let them go too far and you will grind your rotors and have to replace them as you did :erika:

Thanks dude. You're tons of help. Anyway, that's how it happened with me. It really did not sound too bad at first and it only happened when I drove slow. Hope you figure out the problem.

Joker694
05-17-2005, 01:31 PM
im just surprised that you didnt hear your wear bars at all, they are pretty loud. unless you have your radio blasting you can usually hear them pretty easily

tonystewart
05-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Yeah. That's a good point I usually listen to my radio pretty loud. The inside of my car is really loud in general. I have a custom flow master cat back and it really resonates throughout the car. I would get dynamat, but I like the way it sounds.

Joker694
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
yea that would explain it, thats why I try not to have my radio too loud, so I can hear any unusual noises. can't blame you for loving the sound of your exhaust though...I am the same way with mine