Noise...plz help. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Noise...plz help.

dano9258
05-17-2005, 11:28 PM
I just got my tires (Goodyear eagles) rotated. I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT. Right away, i noticed a very loud road noise. I dont know what it is. Also, whenever i turn the tires alot at slow speeds, it leaves black marks on the pavement. Is this a problem? Also, is this noise a transmission problem or what? The tires dont look flat or anything. The front two are slightly less inflated but have always been that way. PLZ HELP! Thanks.

AznGA
05-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Do you have RSA's? They are known for noises.

SC/TGrandAm
05-17-2005, 11:46 PM
A lot of times when you rotate at first it does make road noise or ride bumpy for the first few days depending on how much you drive.

or possibly you have a tire out of round, they didnt get the wheel seated back on right, or in my case I had a similiar issue where the d!ckwads put a lug nut back on and stripped it out and I didnt notice until I went to take my wheels off and ended up snapping the lug off.

Theres a few diffrent things that it could be, im guessing your tread doesnt have much left and that could be part of it. Personally the RSA's leave alot to be desired, I would start shopping for a better tire if you expect something that rides nice and quiet.

dano9258
05-18-2005, 12:51 AM
What is RSA? Also, i had the tires rotated almost a month and a half ago. ANd the noise gets louder as your speed goes up (cant hear it much until you hit 30mph). They did strip one of my lugs awhile back, but that was replaced.

AznGA
05-18-2005, 12:53 AM
Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires are what 99+ GA GT comes with from factory.

brsexton
05-18-2005, 07:11 AM
What is RSA? Also, i had the tires rotated almost a month and a half ago. ANd the noise gets louder as your speed goes up (cant hear it much until you hit 30mph). They did strip one of my lugs awhile back, but that was replaced.

I had the same issue with my Alero. I got my tires rotated and then I started getting a grinding noise that sound like a small plane taking off as the speed would increase. It turns out it was a bad wheel bearing. Not sure why it started after the tires were rotated.

dano9258
05-21-2005, 06:36 PM
If i dont get it fixed, will it hurt the car? B/c im strapped for money right now. Also, could i do this myself...how hard would it be? THanks.

White00GAGT
05-21-2005, 06:38 PM
When i had my rsa's there was a rubbing noise like one of the tires was flat, don't think it was anything serious and the tire was fine

dano9258
05-21-2005, 06:39 PM
So you never fixed it?

kse73
05-21-2005, 06:42 PM
your alignment might be off - if thats the case, you're wearing your tires unevenly. You'll have to replace them a lot sooner if this is the problem.

dano9258
05-21-2005, 06:45 PM
I dont think its the alignment, b/c my car goes straight without touching the steering wheel.

cavingman
05-21-2005, 06:47 PM
take it back to the place that did it and be like whats up. they should check it out for free. probobly would have been a good idea to do it right after you noticed the noise though...

kse73
05-21-2005, 06:47 PM
maybe its camber related....which would explain the tire marks upon sharp turns. I dont know how a tire rotation would throw this off though. Im exhausting my knowledge of our wheel setup and this point.

dano9258
05-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Ok. Thanks for all of the ideas. Does anyone know how hard it would be to replace wheel bearings on my own?