Irregular Idle, Hard Shifts, SES Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Irregular Idle, Hard Shifts, SES Light

GroovyGT
05-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

I read through the posts and couldn't find my car's symptoms exactly. Some were similar, but I could use some advice.

Car has been running fine since I've had it. It now has 87,000 miles on it.

It was running smooth this morning, but when I went to come back to work, my idle was all over the place, jumping from about 400 to 1200 rpm's. My shifts are now VERY hard, especially when shifting into drive. Once I got to work, I tried shutting the car down and restarting. All the same things happened, and I now have an SES light.

Also, there is a strange creaky noise coming from under the throttle body. This is new as well.

Any ideas??

atc3434
05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Probably a TPS sensor, they are pretty notorious for failing and causing crazy idles and bad shifts. A failing MAF sensor can also cause those sympotms, but my monies on the TPS. Do a search, you'll find more info.

SilverGAGT04
05-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Alright, check this out. It has been happening quite a bit lately at my dealer. Check the IAT connector for broken wires. I bet you have a broken pink wire on that connector harness. Check that and repair if necessary.

Ridenour
05-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Actually I'd say that sounds like a bad MAF. I had the same exact symptoms when I had mine unplugged :( - It thinks it's like -37 C, so it adjusts everything accordingly. Go get one for 30 bucks at a junkyard, and it may solve your problem.

GroovyGT
05-18-2005, 08:37 PM
I was hoping it would be the MAF, but it isn't. I had a GMS MAF, but I put the stock one back on earlier today and it didn't fix the problem.

I hope it's the IAT wire or the TPS. If it is, then I can toss the GMS MAF back on. :D

Thanks for the info everyone. If it ends up being some other funky thing that no one thought of, I'll post it up.

SilverGAGT04
05-24-2005, 06:49 PM
So, what was it?

1/2dolla
05-29-2005, 09:07 PM
bump to see what it was

amd_hcds
05-30-2005, 07:54 AM
What's IAT?

Ridenour
05-30-2005, 09:57 AM
^ ^ Intake Air Temperature sensor.

GroovyGT
07-18-2005, 11:54 AM
It turned out to be the wiring harness that's connected to the MAF. When I put the GMS MAF on, I had to stretch it over to plug it in. When I did that, the shaking of the motor eventually severed a wire, so the computer was getting no signal from the MAF.

I had a new harness put in, and the tech lengthened it, so now it has enough play to allow for engine movement.