1997 Grand Am GT TCC Plug Location [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Grand Am GT TCC Plug Location

nebula72
05-19-2005, 01:17 PM
From what I have read I believe my TCC Selinoid is bad. Where is the plug that I can disconnect to toubleshoot on my 1997 Grand Am GT 2.4?

thanks

tom

Malaclypse
05-19-2005, 10:18 PM
On the side of the valve body underneath the transmission side cover. Good luck checking your wiring without removing it from the vehicle.

Check continuity to the large connector going into the transmission. If its good to there just pull the tranny and rebuild it while you have it out.

nebula72
05-20-2005, 04:10 PM
is there any way to override the TCC without taking the tranny cover off? I heard something about jumping some wires under the brake pedal...

Malaclypse
05-21-2005, 02:13 AM
There is a switch mounted next to the brake pedal that affects your TCC. Buuuuttt... I'd say that its a really bad idea to ovverride your TCC completely. Think about the heat that would build up in daily driving without a TCC.

On the highway in traffic my trans temp can hit upwards of 200 degrees even WITH the largest trans cooler kit B+M offers. I'm surprised my transmission lasted this long without a cooler personally. If I didn't have a working clutch in my TC the temps would be well into the 250s - 300s... And that's catastrophic for a transmission.

In this kind of situation... my belief is this: "Fix it once and fix it right." I'd suggest a trans rebuild along with replacing the solenoid and/or harness and adding a transmission cooler.

nebula72
05-21-2005, 09:19 PM
i didnt want to permanently override the TCC. I just wanted to see if overriding the TCC will make my rough idle go away. If it does then the TCC will be replaced. If the idle stays the same (rough) then I have to find a real good quad 4 mechanic on Long Island as my regular guy could not find the cause. How do I overide TCC at the brake pedal???

thanks

Tom