Doing 1 of 2 lims...need help with distributor dummy shaft... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Doing 1 of 2 lims...need help with distributor dummy shaft...

Breadfan
05-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm workinng on my sisters car right now, got everything down and cleaned...ready to lay the LIM gaskets on. Anyway, I have a new distributor dummy shaft o-ring, but I can't get the shaft out. It is a round silver piece with a center "cap" that came out when I was pulliing on it. It seems to have a bit of play, but will not come out. I'm pulling and twisting, and removed the distributor hold down fork...am I missing something? Is it imperative I do this part?

Anyway, I''m gonna put the lim back on in the meantime - she's coming to pick it up this afternoon so clock is ticking. :)

BTW, my car will probably have this done next weekend... :)

Breadfan
05-22-2005, 08:51 AM
BTW, is 168in-lbs the same as 14ft-lbs?

I figure 168/12 = 14...my torque wrench only has ft-lbs...(doing the rocker arm bolts)

Rogue9
05-22-2005, 10:31 AM
go find an online conversion.
I don't believe its as simple as a foot to inch conversion.

Breadfan
05-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Looks like it is: (thanks for the tip though):

"You can find that conversion on the Torque conversion page here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/torque.htm

To convert foot pounds to inch pounds, multiply by 12.
To convert inch pounds to foot pounds, divide by 12. "

Breadfan
05-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Any tips on that distributor dummy shaft? The lim is back on, getting ready to reconnect the fuel lines...

AleroME
05-22-2005, 12:54 PM
our cars are distributorsless. So i guess not many will know. What kind of engine is it?

Breadfan
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes our cars are distributorless but the block design for the V6's dates back to the early 80's. So the block actually has provisions for a distributor -- it's blanked off and a "dummy" shaft spind in place of the distributor.

In the end I could not get it out so I just left it. Car only has 49k anyway, so hopefully that o-ring isn't bad already...

Anyway, man I'm tired...that's a heck of a job, I did it on my own which might have slowed me down a bit. I took my time, until the end my sister showed up and I had to finish.

In the end I had trouble starting the car...sounded to me like it was out of timing but I knew that wasn't the case. I was really frustrated and worried I botched the job somehow...turns out the tube going from the PCV valve to the manifold had popped out of the manifold.

I knew it had a vacuum leak and was trying to find the cause, since that little cap was under the bracked for the t.b. I missed it...also I had missed plugging in the IAC plug.

So got that in and it fired right up...

Drove it, and sprung a leak... :(

Turns out in my haste I must've not tighened the lower heater hose bracket...you know the metal hose that goes from the thermostat housing back towards the firewall. Well, when I hit the gas, or a bump, it must've pulled and the end popped out of the tstat housing.

Suffice to say I was fried and it was too late to take stuff off and get that bolt tight...I'm leaving it for next Saturday. My sister has a car for the week so it's no biggie.

So my only advice is to take your time.

I've got mine to do next, not sure when I'll start. I'm gonna go ahead and order headers as me minor exhaust leak took a turn for the worse...whatever is bad blew out completely and my car sounds HORRIBLE. At idle it sounds loud and throaty, but hit the gas and it's just whiney exhaust leak. Yuck! Rather than just take everything apart and fix it I think I'll just toss some headers and flex pipe/high flow cat down there. Then all new gaskets/seals. :)

Ugh, I'm tired...once I'm all done if I compile info from the threads, some pics, and things I found when doing this job I may be able to do a how-to for LIM's.

That being said, it's a pretty long process and if you don't know what you're doing you might wanna think twice...just look at the pics you can find when searching for LIM repairs, there's plenty of places to do damage. :) But if you know what you're doing and take your time it's not all that bad a job.

Just learn from me -- if you rush you'll miss something, it may be minor but it'll really annoy the crap outta ya when the car doesn't start or it springs a leak. :)