Need help with a few repairs !!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a few repairs !!!

mjpaquette
05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
I have a few things I'd like to fix on my wife's 99' GA GT coupe w/ 82,000 miles. I could use your expertise to help me diagnose and order the correct parts, as some of these issues could have more than one part being the problem:

1. The driver's power window doesn't like to initially respond when the switch is pushed. It requires either a long period of holding it down OR it requires several attempts before it moves the window. The movement seems fine, so I think its the switch or a bad connection, but any thoughts???

2. The plastic flap found under the front of the car (air dam?) has torn off. Any idea what parts I need or issues I'll have replacing it?

3. The power drivers seat has stopped working. When the switch is pressed, I can hear something turning (like the motor), but nothing moves. Any thoughts?

4. I need new brakes. The last brake job I did, I used the wearever rotors and ceramic pads. The rotors warped within 4 months. I need to replace them and the pads, and I'm looking for recomendations on the pads AND rotors. I don't need high performance, but I'd like something that gives effective braking power, and won't require me to redo the brake job within another 2-3 years. I'd been looking at some Brembo rotors from tire rack and some semi-metallic pads.

5. The stereo display is completely garbled. It is almost always wrong and often doesn't change when a button is pressed. Is there a reset I can try, or is the stereo unit toast?

Thanks, in advance for your help! I definitely need it!
Matt

Malaclypse
05-22-2005, 05:17 PM
1) Replace the driver's window switch. Its a common failure (a little more common than window regulators)

3) It likely needs a seat adjuster put in. Personally I've never installed one and they're likely to be expensive.

4) If you drive 15 - 20,000 miles in a year a brake job won't last you three. Front pads lasting about 30k is normal with that kind of yearly mileage. It also depends on weather conditions and such.

5) Time to get an aftermarket deck. Once a GM stereo takes a dump its expensive to get fixed. Cheaper to upgrade to aftermarket.

mjpaquette
05-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on the missing air dam? Also, how is gmpartsdirect.com to deal with? Is there a better place to get the parts I need?

Lastly, when I put the blower motor resistor (part#15359314) into my cart, it says to purchase part # 89018413. Is this correct? I'd like to not buy the wrong part...

Thanks!

Joker694
05-24-2005, 05:23 AM
get the air dam from gmpartsdirect.com, that should be the best place. I have never had to deal with replacing one but I am sure it is a simple fix, there is nothing to it so you shouldnt have any issues

Breadfan
05-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Sometimes at gmpartsdirect.com you have to order a large amount of small parts just to get one.

Also try Pace Performance - http://www.paceparts.com - just search for the PN, you won't find most of the stuff just by browsing categories. I had all my LIM parts within 2 days from them.

SilverGAGT04
05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
The air dam holds the cooling fans into the car. You have to bungee up the fans so they don't fall when you take the dam off. Also the 4 bolts that hold it up do break very, very easy. They don't need to be very tight, just snug.

Greed4Speed
05-29-2005, 05:26 AM
I'll tackle the brake question.

Get your rotors turned. It may have been due to the lugs being on at various tightnesses. If you have 1 or 3 lugs tighter than the others, it'll warp quick. Happened on my SS w/Wagoner rotors. Turned the rotors and fixed that and the haven't warped since and its been almost a year with a lot of hard braking. After a place installs wheels w/impact wrench. I'll loosen them and tighten them by hand.

Quietstop pads suck BTW. They don't dust bad but don't like heat. So if you're cruisin at highway speeds for long durations, they fade quickly if you have to get on them hard. I've even cooked them a few times with some hard braking, EBC or Hawk will most likely be on it next.

My Ga has NAPA replacement rotors. Been on for over 2 years and no sign of warpage. Napa pads suck. They dust like crazy!!! I like the Performance Friction pads on it now. Got them at Autozone. They do dust, but that goes with carbon metallic pads. Still not as bad as the NAPA pads.

tenspeed
05-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Check out www.rockauto.com for parts. I use their data base for ballpark prices and they have a good selection. They give a 5% discount after each order. Here's my latest from buying a Ciera exhaust ($21) and Ceramic pads ($60).

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer!

To show our appreciation, we would like to give you and your friends a special discount on auto parts.

Here's how it works:

- You give this discount code: 22293772202 to friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.
- When someone (including yourself) places an order at www.rockauto.com and enters your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on that order.
- The discount code expires on July 5, 2005; so don't wait!

You may use this discount code as often as you wish until it expires, but only one discount code can be used per order.

**Each month we see people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code.**

Troy_V
06-21-2005, 10:01 AM
get the air dam from gmpartsdirect.com, that should be the best place. I have never had to deal with replacing one but I am sure it is a simple fix, there is nothing to it so you shouldnt have any issues

Does someone have the part number for the air dam? I've looked on GM parts direct but don't see it listed.

Thanks!
Troy

Kdawg207
06-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I dont have it....but if you search this board it's here

freakydeaky
06-21-2005, 10:11 AM
1) new window switch
2) i wouldn't worry about.... it directs air into the engine bay, the grand ams gets plenty of air in the engine bay with out it..... you'll never notice a difference without it
3) no idea what this could be
4) i still haven't figured out the whole rotor/brake s***t
5) get a new head unit, aftermarket.... you don't want to know how much the stock one's cost to fix

action
06-21-2005, 10:16 AM
I think the part number for the blower resistor is different because they changed the part to a better designed unit.

For brakes, I have installed "top quality" rotors (about $30CDN each) which I thought would be junk, but they have turned out to be extremely good!!! 2 years and no problems. I'm also running monroe premium pads, they have been holding up well and are not very dusty. There's at least 30k kms on this set up now, and I run 5-6 autox events each summer.

lironet
06-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Does someone have the part number for the air dam? I've looked on GM parts direct but don't see it listed.

Thanks!
Troy

mjpaquette
06-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the great info... I'm going to wait on the air dam and seat adjuster - not worth the investment, and I've got no real issues with it the way it is now...

The new power window switch went in with no problems, and the blower resistor also had to be changed. Pain in the butt, but only took about an hour with the great advice on this forum (1/4" universal adapter and yoga classes to prepare for the contortionist act...)

I'm going with Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads and rotors from AutoZone @ about $42 each (can't remember the brand at the moment). I am using them on the rear of my 2000 Grand Prix right now and they seem pretty good.

Thanks Again!

Matt