Anyone heard the SLP Exhaust? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard the SLP Exhaust?

Jason E
08-29-2002, 08:20 PM
How does it sound? Is it really possible to get 10 HP out of it?? I can get one through work for dealer cost, so it ends up being like $250 less than Borla...just curious what people thought about it...

GrandAmGT99
08-29-2002, 10:19 PM
It sounds good, but is very loud. If you don't want to constantly hear your exhaust, then don't go SLP. My opnion, get Borla. Better quality, better sound, better everything.

blk99gt
08-29-2002, 11:31 PM
i like mine. if you want a loud and deep sound then get it. i have never heard the borla so i can't compare them for you. if you do a lot of highway driving (65-75 mph) you might want to go for the borla cuz it does get kinda annoying at that speed, or get some dynamat.

koolZ71
08-30-2002, 06:15 AM
i have the slp...and my buddy matt..SilverGA2001 has the borla...no i dont care what anyone says...i cant hear the @#$# thing till u really chomp on it...at idle it sounds like stock were as the slp and magniflow i know for sure u can hear at idle...u can hear it in the upper rpm range but thats about it...as far as 10hp...id give it at most 5 and a lil better mpg

iceman
08-30-2002, 06:21 AM
Here's a thread.. I posted a video that IrateGT made of my exhaust at the picnic.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380

koolZ71
08-30-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by iceman
Here's a thread.. I posted a video that IrateGT made of my exhaust at the picnic.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380

I will have to add....im not sure if icemans resinator is removed or not..but with my resinator removed...i get a little more mellowness outta it

iceman
08-30-2002, 07:08 AM
No resonator w/ the SLP...

jaketuff
08-30-2002, 09:20 AM
Yep, the SLP does not have a resonator in the kit. The Borla does, but from what Spoon has told me the resonator is just for show. It does little to quell the loudness of the exhuast note. The Borla will not sound stock. It gives a deeper sound down low. At idle it makes the car sound like a Camaro Z28 w/stock exhaust "lum lum lum." The SLP will have a deeper rumble at idle, and it sounds kind of like a motor boat... "blub blub blub."

At revs, the car will have a snarl with the borla. The SLP will produce a more raspy snarl though. The SLP probably gives more HP because - it has less restriction, and no tips. But the SLP is a "cheaper" exhaust in every sense, you get what you pay for.
Borla is built for a performance with a softer sound, it seems they really thought about how to make is sound subtle and have performance, looks, and durability at the same time, SLP seems to be for all out performance.

I almost prefer the SLP because the Borla is very calm unless you tromp on it... the SLP will draw more attention and get you more looks on the street.;)

JOUT

Macleod52
08-30-2002, 09:22 AM
I have the SLP and I love it! I don't know why everyone say's it's loud cause to me it's not! Sure when you chomp on it it's loud and there is a slight drone at highway speeds but to me it's not annoying at all. I almost think it's not loud enough. I say go for it!

StarFire
08-30-2002, 11:23 AM
I think in terms of loudness, so far from what I've heard, it would go:

For idling (Loudest to softest):

Flowmaster
Dual Magnaflows
SLP
Single Magnaflow
Borla

I haven't stood outside of anyone's car while doing too many drive byes...maybe we need to make a vid of that GrandAmRamAir. :)

Slim
08-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by StarFire
I think in terms of loudness, so far from what I've heard, it would go:

For idling (Loudest to softest):

Flowmaster
Dual Magnaflows
SLP
Single Magnaflow
Borla

I haven't stood outside of anyone's car while doing too many drive byes...maybe we need to make a vid of that GrandAmRamAir. :)

I've got the single Magnaflow and I love it. The sound is a nice deep rumble at idle and a nice snarl when you stomp on it. I have no idea about how many HP it freed up but I did notice an increase in the upper rpm's. (3500 +) The exhaust combined with the CAI definitley turns some heads.
:boogie:

StarFire
08-30-2002, 11:47 AM
hehe...dual magnaflows gunning it through a tunnel is insanely loud and musclecar like. I can't wait for the cai...cuz duals turns heads no matter what. ...and everyone has the same expression...confused and curious like, "wft, it shouldn't sound like that." :)

It's all about the type of sound you are looking for...decide that, then go hear all the exhausts.

ash
08-30-2002, 05:04 PM
hehe...dual magnaflows gunning it through a tunnel is insanely loud and musclecar like. I can't wait for the cai...cuz duals turns heads no matter what. ...and everyone has the same expression...confused and curious like, "wft, it shouldn't sound like that." :)

That's the best part!! I love the confused look. But I really don't get many heads turning cause I don't want that all the time so I drive softer by people. I've got the duals too and it's really nice in a tunnel like star said. I don't understand why people think the Mags are loud at idle. I can hardly hear them in the car (undercoated though). It's a great exhaust overall. Sounds like a V-8 and is the perfect volume. SLP should add about 12 hp with a K&N drop in. Borla I've heard up to 15-18 hp with a K&N. SLP is probably nice except for the sharp raspy note. I think a CAI and my mags will be perfect.
-Mike

AaronGTR
08-30-2002, 05:19 PM
I've heard people with magnaflow and flowmasters and they do not sound as loud or as nice as my SLP. Difference is the pipe diameter. I personally don't like the borla's sound. Sounds buzzy like a honda and too quiet at idle. As far as quality, my SLP was of very high quality and easy to install. It's made of the same kind of stainless steel as borla and IT DOES COME WITH POLISHED TIPS. I don't know how many times I have to tell people this. I would choose the SLP first. Second choice would be a single flowmaster and have new piping made. There is a big restriction in the stock pipe where it goes over the rear suspension. I wouldn't get dual mufflers because it adds way too much weight to the car for no performance gain.

StarFire
08-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Uhmm...I got a performance gain from the duals. To say you get no performance gain...that's a little uhmm...bold of a statement.

They are heaver than SLP or borla, but for the sound difference, I will take it. You probably won't get the same performance changes as you would with SLP or Borla....I will agree with that. The only reason I agree is because most dual magnaflows don't take the extra time/money to get all mendrel bent pipes.

I still have yet to see any GAGT pull away from me that has "basically" the same thing as what I have.:confused:

Jason E
08-31-2002, 06:26 AM
Ok, a few comments...

1) No one here can tell me SLP quality is inferior to anyone elses...there may be more elaborate, slightly better designs, but the QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT is second to none. As a new car dealer, I have sold 7 Firehawks this year (SLPs take on a Ram Air Bird...), and the quality of SLPs parts are the same as OEM or better. No one can knock the quality of SLP to me...anything that touches either of my cars will be an SLP part.

2) Does the SLP have significant drone at highway speeds?? This would be the only problem I have with it. 85% of my driving is 75 MPH highway driving...a large drone may drive me nuts, even though I have the Monsoon cranked most of the time.

3) How much is Borla? Over $500?? The SLP will cost me much less. I refuse to spend over $500 for an exhaust for a Grand Am...sorry, but if I'm gonna spend that much $$, its gonna be something for the Z, not the Grand Am.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Macleod52
08-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Dude go for it! You won't be dissapointed! I love mine and the drone is not bad at all. Some think it is but to me it's not. Dunno why, maybe people are wussier than I? haha it seems to annoy some of my friends and stuff but they're the bitchy type in the first place so yeah.. haha

Jason E
08-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Well, assuming your friends are in the back, the drone is probably mush worse. The back seat in my friend's '00 TA is horrid...he has an SLP Loud Mouth that reverberates off the hatch BAD and kills your ear drums. However, the Loud Mouths are just about an open exhaust...you expect it loud :D

I will probably do the SLP in 6 months or so...just wanted to know what I was getting into.

Black Z28
08-31-2002, 10:13 AM
if you wanna hear what all the exhaust sound like check out the link to my video site below. i have every type of exhaust on there except the borla, which is in my opinion not enough of a change from stock to be worth all that money that you pay. i love my slp and spend a good amount of time on the highway with it. its not annoying at all and can easily be covered up with you radio being on, even if its not loud.

ash
08-31-2002, 09:59 PM
Uhmm...I got a performance gain from the duals. To say you get no performance gain...that's a little uhmm...bold of a statement.

They are heaver than SLP or borla, but for the sound difference, I will take it. You probably won't get the same performance changes as you would with SLP or Borla....I will agree with that. The only reason I agree is because most dual magnaflows don't take the extra time/money to get all mendrel bent pipes.

I still have yet to see any GAGT pull away from me that has "basically" the same thing as what I have.:confused:

I got a huge high end gain. My high end really sucked a big one before, but now it doesn't level out. My pipes are really smooth for crush bent. The guys did a great job with them. My mags weigh 70 lbs w/out piping. But the stock exhaust weighs around 60 so it's not much weight added. The sound (and looks) are well worth it if not the performance. And star, you mean you haven't seen anybody else with an exhaust on our car or the mags in particular?
-Mike

AaronGTR
08-31-2002, 11:18 PM
What?wtf Stock exhaust doesn't weigh anywhere near 60lbs. I know because I weighed mine when I took it off (it's about 40lbs for the muffler). Both your mufflers together probably weigh 90lbs, with the pipes.

Now, if you guys knew anything about air flow dynamics, you'd know that putting 2 mufflers that size at the end of a single similarly sized pipe is going to cut your air velocity to less than half. That in turn creates backpressure (especially at low rpm) and cancels what little scavenging effect you have with the stock exhaust manifolds. More weight and less power? Yea, that's what I want.:rolleyes:

BTW: If your exhaust weighs 90lbs from cat back, and stock weighs 60lbs, that 30lb increase equates a 3hp loss in power/weight ratio. What ever power gain you imagine you got just flew out the window.

ash
09-01-2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by AaronGTR
What?wtf Stock exhaust doesn't weigh anywhere near 60lbs. I know because I weighed mine when I took it off (it's about 40lbs for the muffler). Both your mufflers together probably weigh 90lbs, with the pipes.

Now, if you guys knew anything about air flow dynamics, you'd know that putting 2 mufflers that size at the end of a single similarly sized pipe is going to cut your air velocity to less than half. That in turn creates backpressure (especially at low rpm) and cancels what little scavenging effect you have with the stock exhaust manifolds. More weight and less power? Yea, that's what I want.:rolleyes:

BTW: If your exhaust weighs 90lbs from cat back, and stock weighs 60lbs, that 30lb increase equates a 3hp loss in power/weight ratio. What ever power gain you imagine you got just flew out the window.

That's the number I got from someone on the board, when I get home from college, I'll weigh it myself to see. If you'd like to drive in one of our dual mag equiped cars to see if there are any gains, you're more than welcome, cause there's a considerable increase. It pulls much harder in the higher rpms. It would still push more air out of the exhaust than the stock exhaust and by doing so, it would cause the computer to adjust the air/fuel charts to get used to the increased air flow equaling more power. And I have a hard time believing that these straight through pipes create backpressure. They're designed to eliminate it.
-Mike

AaronGTR
09-01-2002, 10:21 AM
It doesn't have anything to do with straight through pipes. Why can't you understand that? It has to do with size of the pipe versus the volume of air an engine of this size moves, and it's direct effect on air speed (velocity). Also, driving the car won't tell you anything. It's a placebo effect. You put something new on the car so you imagine it's faster. The only way to know for sure is to dyno the car with both types of exhausts on it. The car won't adjust any fuel tables either. Those are set in the program and DO NOT change. The ECM has no way of recognizing increased exhaust flow anyway. Shows how much you know about this car. You can believe whatever you want, but your just deluding yourself. That's all I have to say on this topic.

BorlAlero
09-01-2002, 07:38 PM
Alright, so I'm biased. I've tested the Flowmasters and Borla. Went with Borla. I really didn't think there was a comparison. I want to keep my car a sleeper. All the ignorant ricers out there :cool: have no idea what kinda car I had before I even did any mods. NOW I've got the oomph to kick it to 'em. My girlfriend loves the Borla. First thing she said when she got in the car after I installed it was "wow, it sounds like my boat." It gives the 3.4 the kinda character that it keeps inside. I have had one problem however. The pipes on the Borla MIGHT be too long. I have to cut mine so that the exhaust doesn't hang low. I've already caught a bump and it was agonizing. Other than that here's the lowdown on the Borla:

1- At idle and slow accel it's stock.
2- You kick it to 2000 and it resonates in the cabin, you will know that it's there.
3- 2250 --> 3000 It has a singin' note that would make even a camaro owner cry (my friend is and he did)
4- 3250+ I can't hear it because my K&N intake is too loud, but I know other people can.

Like jaketuff said... you get what you pay for. And I can tell that the Borla has the quality down. Besides, sounding loud at idle is for ricers. I love to see those Hondas cry.

ash
09-01-2002, 11:03 PM
AaronGTR, dude, that was a little harsh. As far as the ECM, I'm just repeating what I've read on the boards. Can you explain what would be the best setup for our cars in terms of size/single/dual exhaust? We're all buds here, and if you want to teach, I'm more than willing to listen.
-Mike
:cheers:

Macleod52
09-02-2002, 12:31 PM
I have to agree... No need to be a jerk Aaron! You could have been a lot nicer in your post. Not everyone here is an expert and we are all trying to learn things! If you are a jerk about it people will not like you and won't care/believe what you have to say anyways so it's more damage than good! Just chill man.

AaronGTR
09-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Look... I'm not trying to be a jerk. But I do have some experience with this subject. I was just trying to give people some valuable info because I don't like seeing them waste their time/money. I had to post this 3 times though, and I don't like repeating myself (call it a character flaw). He said he's willing to learn, but every time I posted a few people kept re-hashing the same garbage, even after I told them why it wasn't true. That just gets on my nerves, sorry. I'll try to be more patient next time.:)

StarFire
09-04-2002, 07:03 PM

I don't want to restart anything with the arguement above.

But for the Magnaflow 14815s (which is what a lot of us here have)... the shipping weight for one muffler is:

Shipping Weight: 16.00 pounds.
http://www.fmsexhausts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=14815

So two mufflers weigh in at almost 32lbs give or take a pound for packaging.

Like I said, I'm not trying to start, or prove anything. Just thought I would make aware that the Magnaflows are not as heavy as everyone thinks they are. :)
-=StarFire=-

ash
09-04-2002, 09:33 PM
Look... I'm not trying to be a jerk. But I do have some experience with this subject. I was just trying to give people some valuable info because I don't like seeing them waste their time/money. I had to post this 3 times though, and I don't like repeating myself (call it a character flaw). He said he's willing to learn, but every time I posted a few people kept re-hashing the same garbage, even after I told them why it wasn't true. That just gets on my nerves, sorry. I'll try to be more patient next time.:)

Yeah, I didn't read your posts on the old board. So what do you think is the best setup people should get? And not the exhaust specifically but according to air flow, like which part should be bigger (You said one pipe of the same size going into two splits the velocity by more than half) or if it should be a single or a double? You teach me once and I'll teach others for you, just don't bitch at me! :p

I must've read the shipment weight on the mags thinking that they were 32 lbs a piece instead of combined, so now the weight for the mags drops below that of the stock exhaust. And dual mags are nowhere near a waste of money, the look and sound alone is well worth it.
-Mike
:cheers:

StarFire
09-05-2002, 06:06 AM
I get more compliments on the sound and looks of my car then I do racing people and getting compliments on how fast it is...I still do get compliments on how fast it is though ;)

So for my money (which I paid less than SLP/Borla including install)...it was well worth it.

I couldn't count the amount of times that people will stop and just say, those mufflers look soooo good...what are they (this was before I got the magnaflow vinyl on the back)...and we would just talk for a couple of minutes...heck, ask 3x3...he loves the looks of them and the sound, and he's only seen them twice! lol

For me, I'm not going for the fastest car...cuz if I was, I'd start with a better base (like a TA or Mustang, NSX,...etc.). I think we all like our exhausts equally the same. No one has dynoed with the exact same car in the exact same conditions with each different exhaust. I doubt anyone here would want to go through all that work.

I know there are times (like this morning) when my car definitely had more get-up-and-go to it, then it does on other mornings driving to work. I can't explain it...so I don't try.

Slim
09-05-2002, 06:12 AM
I know there are times (like this morning) when my car definitely had more get-up-and-go to it, then it does on other mornings driving to work. I can't explain it...so I don't try.

Aint' that the truth. I don't think my car is really a "morning car" though. :D Like me, it can be a little sluggish until it wakes up. lol

StarFire
09-05-2002, 06:15 AM
Maybe you should give it a cup of coffee?!:thumbs:

Slim
09-05-2002, 06:27 AM
Mmmmmm coffee!

:cheers: <-- I know it's not coffee, but close enough.

Drew99GT
09-05-2002, 06:45 PM
Even though the Borla and SLP I think have 2.5 inch piping, I'd say the best is 2.25 inch, mandrel bent if you can get it. Our stock piping is apparently already 2.25 inch, so maybe just replacing that nasty bend over the axle with some better 2.25 inch piping, and the muffler of your choice, and whoalla, you got yourself a badass, tuned exhaust system :cool: I do agree that dual mufflers will kill velocity and probably sacrifice a bit of HP, but they do lool better. I myself think even a single muffler, single driver side exit tip on a GT loks great. I have one with a nice 2.5 inch stainless tip. Not flashy, not ricey, just right IMO.

StarFire
09-05-2002, 07:32 PM
Okay I'm just a little bit confused...

I understand the whole velocity thing...but what makes it so much different on a dual muffler system vs. a single muffler with dual outputs...and the ones that have another Y section to make a 4 tip exhaust. Isn't that doing about the same thing?

I also thought that when you bend air (making it do angles and what not) that, that will slow the velocity down as well?

I'm no expert...trust me on that...I'm just confused!:confused: :)

:boogie:

AaronGTR
09-05-2002, 10:56 PM
Well, if your still using the stock pipe before your mufflers you're probably losing velocity from the resonator, the crimping, and the nasty indentation over the rear suspension. The SLP and Borla use mandrel bends and large radius curves to minimize any velocity loss due to changing direction. The muffler design they use enters one side, goes through a perforated core, then goes straight out the other side. The other pipe opens behind the screen inside the muffler and exits the other side of the muffler. Because of this, most of the exhaust goes straight through and out the passenger side. The extra pipe and Y-tips just change the sound slightly, and they don't affect velocity as much because they are closer to the end of the pipes. Distance of the pipes makes as much difference as diameter. On a dual setup it Y's off before the mufflers so the distance with larger daimeter piping is longer.

If you like duals, and you want the best setup, this is what I recommend. First, replace the downpipe and cat with either the random tech or a custom one. The stock one sucks, and it's the next thing I'm replacing. Second, get 2.5inch mandrel bent piping from the cat back to where you want it to split (this will match the downpipe). At the split, reduce pipe to 2.25 inch to help keep velocity up. Both mufflers should have 2.25inch inlets and outlets, and you can get whatever size tips you want. Usually bigger tips deepens the tone slightly. This is a little more expensive setup, but you will have a complete exhaust from headers back that kicks butt! Get the headers to with it and you'll really be rocking.

Drew99GT
09-06-2002, 07:23 AM
I still say 2.25 inch is the best combination of sound, low end/high end power etc. Our stock system really isn't that restrictive except for the over the axle portion. By simply replacing that part with possibly a mandrel bend and going with a straight through muffler, you'll minimize backpressure and keep velocity up. All the other bends in the factory catback look better than any pressbend you'll get at a muffler shop.

Macleod52
09-06-2002, 07:44 AM
One thing I'd like to add to the Magna boys is that your piping is going to rust within a few years... Therefore costing you more $$$ down the line, unless of course you got it coated with something to prevent the rust, but even then moisture will buildup inside and cause it to rust from the inside out... Just something to think about. Oh and this is what the local shop said because He said I would be better off with stainless steel.

ash
09-06-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Macleod52
One thing I'd like to add to the Magna boys is that your piping is going to rust within a few years... Therefore costing you more $$$ down the line, unless of course you got it coated with something to prevent the rust, but even then moisture will buildup inside and cause it to rust from the inside out... Just something to think about. Oh and this is what the local shop said because He said I would be better off with stainless steel.

Stainless steel piping or a stainless steel exhaust? Cause our exhausts are stainless steel. If you're talking about the pipes, it would depend on what the shop uses. So you go back to the shop and bitch to them that their pipes rusted.
-Mike

madmonkey
09-06-2002, 10:09 AM
Wow, that's a long ass thread. In my opinion,however biased it may be, Borla is the ONLY way to go. I've got a friend with an SS with SLP loudmouth exhaust, and a friend with a TA with Borla, and I have borla too. My friends TA sounds SOOO much better thatn my friends SS. The SS sounds good, don't get me wrong, but the Borla is just a better quality exhaust system.

I personally LOVE my Borla. I wouldn't want anything else on it. The resonator does add to the sound, at least from the inside. I've had it about a month now, and it's gettin to sounding meaner and meaner. I spent $650 on it, and it was well worth it.

ash
09-06-2002, 03:05 PM
If an exhaust sounds good on one car, it won't necessarily make it sound the same on another. The SLP on a camaro sounds really low and loud, and on a GA it sound higher pitched and loud. There's also a big difference between the sound you can get from a v8 and a v6. From what I've heard, the Mags make the exhaust sound like a REAL car. I've read that borla can sound a little ricy. And the sound clip on borla.com doesn't do anything to dissuade me. It all depends on what you're lookin for on your particular car.
-Mike

Jason E
10-26-2002, 06:57 AM
Ok, to drag this old post up again :D

I'm ready to go with an exhaust...I want to do SLP. 2 questions. Has anyone in MA gotten this exhaust through inspection? Supposedly, there is a theory that if the car is louder than stock at idle, its illegal. But, with all the F bodies and trucks around here with Flowmasters and such, I can't imagine the GA will cause much trouble...

Second, is the SLP 50 state legal? Do they supply a paper saying that? I want to know this just in case I do put it on and there's a problem at the inspection station...thanks for everyones help!

iceman
10-26-2002, 07:00 AM
SLP sure is 50 state legal. I got something when I bought it saying that.. It clearly says it on the product info on their web site too. Their CS is great, if you want some sort of paper saying that, they'll give it to you

Macleod52
10-26-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ash

Stainless steel piping or a stainless steel exhaust? Cause our exhausts are stainless steel. If you're talking about the pipes, it would depend on what the shop uses. So you go back to the shop and bitch to them that their pipes rusted.
-Mike

Both... The Magny's are SS so you don't have to wory about that but, if someone wanted a cat-back system for the magny they'd have the regular steel pipe that would rust.

Macleod52
10-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Jason E
Ok, to drag this old post up again :D

I'm ready to go with an exhaust...I want to do SLP. 2 questions. Has anyone in MA gotten this exhaust through inspection? Supposedly, there is a theory that if the car is louder than stock at idle, its illegal. But, with all the F bodies and trucks around here with Flowmasters and such, I can't imagine the GA will cause much trouble...

Second, is the SLP 50 state legal? Do they supply a paper saying that? I want to know this just in case I do put it on and there's a problem at the inspection station...thanks for everyones help!

The car is not that loud at idle (when it's warmed up that is :))

mjhurley1
04-01-2003, 05:46 PM

Has a lot to do with humidity and barometric pressure.

AaronGTR
04-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Actually any exhaust part from the catalytic converter back is exempt from emmissions control because they have no effect on the engines emmissions. They only have to meet local Db (sound) requirements.

jaketuff
04-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Borla - ricey ? lol Nah-uh... Listen to a z28 at idle, and a growl on acceleration = borla.

The SLP is much more raspy and close to ricey. The SLP and a downpipe will make the car sound like a motorboat at idle and a raging 6/small 8 at WOT.

The car sounds... "glub-glub, glub, glub-glub" at idle with the RT downpipe and SLP. The RT DP makes the SLP viscious! But, the Borla was only slightly louder with the RT DP, it remained calm and restrained, but managed to produce more of a snarl, and slight crackle when revving into the midrange in N.

JOUT

Panacea
04-02-2003, 02:12 PM
SLP sound ricey... Not a chance!!! And talk about bringing a post back from the dead :rolleyes:

Black Z28
04-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by jaketuff
Borla - ricey ? lol Nah-uh... Listen to a z28 at idle, and a growl on acceleration = borla.

The SLP is much more raspy and close to ricey. The SLP and a downpipe will make the car sound like a motorboat at idle and a raging 6/small 8 at WOT.

The car sounds... "glub-glub, glub, glub-glub" at idle with the RT downpipe and SLP. The RT DP makes the SLP viscious! But, the Borla was only slightly louder with the RT DP, it remained calm and restrained, but managed to produce more of a snarl, and slight crackle when revving into the midrange in N.

JOUT

borla sounds like a Z28??? ok, go here and listen to my car, tell me that it sounds like a v6 and there is something wrong with you.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/foglebrian/Rev.mpg

and if anyone wants to hear the difference from a stock Z28 and the SLP Loudmouth, check this one
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/foglebrian/Z28vsSS.mp3

Greed4Speed
04-02-2003, 07:04 PM
I also want to know how these systems sound at highway speeds. I'm looking at dual or single magnaflows. From what I've seen, by the time I buy a crossover muffler and some nice tips, I could buy 2 mufflers w/ the tips. I just think they look great, I just want to know what they're like on a trip. Its ok if they're loud around town. What RPM do they start to resonate?

I have a 70 Camaro SS for my racing exploits, so I don't really care if the GA would be a tenth quicker with the SLP. Its a daily driver, but it was still fast enough to outrun a late 70's TA today. :D I just wish I had some sound to go with it.

As for all the velocity stuff, yes going with smaller tail pipes does help, this is also because the gas is cooling and expanding towards the rear of the car.

jaketuff
04-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by GrandAmRamAir
borla sounds like a Z28??? ok, go here and listen to my car, tell me that it sounds like a v6 and there is something wrong with you.

Too long a ride Grand... Anyways, to be clear, AT IDLE it sounds like a Z28 STOCK. Accelerating it is more 6 banger or small 8, and fades fast to revealing it's a v6 as you tip into the throttle. My hearing holes work well enough, and even a few z enthusiasts have been surprised (read shocked/appalled) that the GA sounded so similar. Once accelerating it was clear who had the 8 and 6 tho!

SLP sounds more ricey than the Borla, by that term, it sounds more raspy, and tinny... but it sounds vicious, and will never be mistaken for a 4cyl. The muffler is essentially a str8 thru flow on the SLP, a cheaper construction than the Borla, which seeks to deaden more sound......

JOUT

gran dam good
04-02-2003, 10:47 PM
I just ordered the SLP system and hear good things about it. I cant wait to hear how it sounds in person... I know that this is a little off topic but those of you with the SLP, how long did it take for them to ship the exhaust to you from the SLP place. I have only been waiting a week with out any word from them and it feels like forever.

Black Z28
04-02-2003, 11:02 PM
i waited about a week and a half when i ordered mine, don't worry SLP is a great company. as long as they had some ready to ship, it will get there and you won't be disapointed

Panacea
04-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Usually there is about a 3 week waiting period...

PiMpInGa
04-03-2003, 05:37 PM
brian howd that ga do that burnout the e brake?

JuniorsGt
04-04-2003, 09:15 PM
what if u just get the borla tips and not the whole setup and put the tips on the stock mufflers would there be any difference then??

jaketuff
04-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by JuniorsGt
what if u just get the borla tips and not the whole setup and put the tips on the stock mufflers would there be any difference then??

Not performance wise. The sound is made primarily by the muffler, the tips barely have an effect on the sound. The stock system is very quiet relative to the Borla.

Pat

highwayprowlerz
04-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Yeah... after reading all this imput I think I am going to go with the SLP instead.... Borla just costs TOO MUCH...

Greed4Speed
04-07-2003, 07:39 AM
If you look at your stock dual outlet muffler, You couldn't put these tips on the passenger side. Those tips are actually 2 pipes that exit unlike the driver side that one pipe exits then y's. Which is what you'd need.

Like they said, it'll still sound stock.

SC/T02
04-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Borla does not sound like a Z-28 a Trans am or a Vette. They have there own noise and unless you drop an LS-1 in your GA the Borla does not sound like it. The CAI is much louder than Borla ever gets.

SLP on the other hand sounds like my 85' Trans Am with Flowmaster. A mean burble noise. I put mine on, on 4/04 and love it. When it is cold it sounds the meanest. Anywhwere in the 1,500-2,250 RPM range there is no six that sounds better. I had 3 techs at the Pontiac place say who droped a 305 in here. That is about as close to a V-8 sound you will get. I have heard SLP, Flowmaster, magnaflow, flow pro, Borla, etc. And I picked my exhaust out after I got a chance to hear them all. SLP is the best sounding one to me.

AznGA
04-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Is APOC the only place to order SLP? SLP website and PFYC don't carry it anymore.

luniz
04-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by AznGA
Is APOC the only place to order SLP? SLP website and PFYC don't carry it anymore.

1. APOC
2. www.slponline.com

There is a couple other stores that offer it. Do a google search and it will net some results.

AznGA
04-12-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by luniz024
1. APOC
2. www.slponline.com

There is a couple other stores that offer it. Do a google search and it will net some results.
I just said that SLP online store does not have it.

:D

AznGA
04-12-2003, 10:37 AM
After reading this thread, I think I am going with SLP as well. Borla just seems too much expensive for an exhaust system. SLP has a huge lineup of performance vehicles right now and I will never doubt the quality of them.

luniz
04-12-2003, 10:46 AM
I just said that SLP online store does not have it.

:D

No PFYC is not the same as slponline.com. Click on this link right here. http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=31027

phantom505
04-12-2003, 11:22 AM
blah blah blah Borla this SLP that.

Well here is what I plan on doing now:

Get a cutout so the muffler doesn't matter anymore.

Now get the one you like better. Personally I can't have a loud muffler because the wife would bitch, not to mention it can't be good for your hearing. And yes over time it will hurt your ears. Just check out OSHA's recommendation for noise limits.

compcg
04-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Has anyone that has an SLP catback exhaust noticed that when you rev it, it won't go pasted 4 grand??? Or maybe my car is screwed up somewhere. As far as the loudness, it is a bit loud. But it does sound sweet when you are on a back road and you punch it. You do lose some speed on take off though.

luniz
04-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by compcg
Has anyone that has an SLP catback exhaust noticed that when you rev it, it won't go pasted 4 grand??? Or maybe my car is screwed up somewhere. As far as the loudness, it is a bit loud. But it does sound sweet when you are on a back road and you punch it. You do lose some speed on take off though.

If you are revving it in park or neutral, I believe the computer won't let it redline. Thats what I think, anyone please feel free to chime in if I am wrong.

AFdefender
04-13-2003, 04:24 AM
Thatd be correct. Its a rev limiter... imagine that a device that limits the revolutions the engine makes while at idle being called a "rev limiter" lol ok so Im being sarcastic :rolleyes: But realy though the car has a rev limiter its to keep stupid people from sitting in their car everyday and holding the gas pedal down to the floor so they can hear how loud their car is. All new cars as far as im aware of anyway have them.

Skillet
04-13-2003, 11:16 AM
I ordered my SLP it is sitting in my warehouse right now. I get it tommorow!!! Took 4 days shipping from SLPonline.com Getting it installed on Tuesday! I will take new pics with the clear tails, intrax drop, tint and slp!

Chris

AznGA
04-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by compcg
SLP makes you lose some speed? I don't think so.

AznGA
04-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Skillet
I ordered my SLP it is sitting in my warehouse right now. I get it tommorow!!! Took 4 days shipping from SLPonline.com Getting it installed on Tuesday! I will take new pics with the clear tails, intrax drop, tint and slp!

Chris

If you get it, can you tell me how big the box is and what exactly you had to tell the muffler shop so they can put it in? Thanks.

luniz
04-13-2003, 01:32 PM
SLP makes you lose some speed? I don't think so.

I think he is referring to low end power. Overall you definately gain some high end.

Skillet
04-13-2003, 04:45 PM
If you get it, can you tell me how big the box is and what exactly you had to tell the muffler shop so they can put it in? Thanks.

I am putting it in myself. But I will let you know how big the box is. All you would have to tell them is to remove the old exhaust and install the new one. If you wanna keep the old one, tell them.

Chris

SC/T02
04-13-2003, 06:49 PM
I put mine on myself. If you have a cutting tool of any sort. It would not be any problem. I used a hack saw/Jig saw and went at it. You have to cut it on both sides of the rear suspension. Trust me there is no other way around it, because I tried. The cutting was the hardest part. If you have it done at a shop they need to put in new Bolts with Nuts on the end of it. Your new exhaust does not come threaded. If you do it yourself use WD-40 to allow the pipes to slide into each other. When you get to the muffler line it up before you tighten the clamps. There is no welding involved so it can be done yourself. Be sure to put the correct tips on the correct sides!!! Hope this helps.

Adam

iceman
04-13-2003, 06:51 PM
GOTTA have a sawzall, you'll be sittin there with a hacksaw forever.

SC/T02
04-13-2003, 07:04 PM
It would have made my project a lot easier. The Jigsaw with metal cutting tips worked well though. About how much does one of those cost iceman? My garage looks like a few iles of Sears Craftsman tool department. But that, I don't have.

Ant
08-29-2003, 12:30 PM
now THIS is a long dead thread, but here goes:

After reading EVERYTHING slp related on this site, read all the reviews on other sites, I believe I know everything about the SLP kit that there is to know. Except... When you lose the low end, does the amount of High end make up for it? An example would be does it improve your 0-60 speeds or 1/4 times or 60'? And, ALSO! don't say "search" or call me a tool or Knob, I already said i read everything. Does/Did anyone have a problem with the pipes not fitting over the suspension? Or ? what? I don't know...tell me stuff. I'm about...2 months away from being SLP-ed.

cavingman
08-29-2003, 12:37 PM
i had no problems with mine. did it myself, went smooth as can be.

Ant
08-29-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by AntTheGreat
When you lose the low end, does the amount of High end make up for it? An example would be does it improve your 0-60 speeds or 1/4 times or 60'?

?

compcg
08-29-2003, 07:48 PM
I think that for my car I lost a lot of low end power. For example, my fastest 0-60 was in the high 13's low 14's. Now its around high 15's low 16's.

Ant
08-29-2003, 08:07 PM
13 SECOND 0-60?!!! Is there something wrong with your car? A buddy clocked me on a stopwatch at 7.89! Stock!

compcg
08-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Thats right, sorry I was talking about another car of mine. My fastest time on my gt was 6.44.