tranny innerchange ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tranny innerchange ?

93 GT
05-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Okay now, my mothers grand am is still on jack stands with my chain lift holding the engin up :( .

The other night I took the drivers side axel seal out of the tranny and I saw what almost looked like a pice of soda can behind where the seal was. I don`t know what it is but it don`t look like it should be there so I tried to get it out but it wouldn`t :banghead . Also I can move the input (or is it output?) spline side to side a little and I know that I shouldn`t be able to move it at all so that looks like thats why the seal was leaking so bad :crying: .

Can I use a tranny that used to be in a '86 sunbird with a 1.8 in the the grand am with a 3.3 ? I pulled the engine and tranny from the sunbird and put in the engin and tranny from a skyhawk a while back. The engine was bad but as I`m sure y`all have already gessed the tranny worked great and didn`t leak. I called the parts store and had them do a parts # check on a tranny rebuild kit for both the trannies and it was the same so I gess they are the same on the inside but is the bellhousing be the same ?

Sorry for such a long post but thanks for any and all help .

SilverGAGT04
05-24-2005, 07:20 PM
The valvebody is probably different, the converter is difinatley different, the bellhousing, I'm pretty sure. Get a junkyard one for a couple hundred bucks and call it done. Thats what I'd do.

93 GT
05-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Okay , thanks for the advice :) .