BAD Gas Mileage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : BAD Gas Mileage

lufkintravis
05-24-2005, 04:16 PM
I have a 2002 GT and my gas mileage seems to be getting worse and power seems down from when I bought the car just two months ago. I have 72k miles and no SES or SVS lights but it took a full tank plus about $12.00 just to get 400 miles out of it and that was with hwy. 3/4 of the time. Anyone know where I should start... I'm thinking the cat conv. Tried different brands and grades of fuel also to no avail. Anyone with the same experiences?

gaowners32
05-24-2005, 04:18 PM
get used to it! it sucks but most of us have that problem

boost21
05-24-2005, 04:58 PM
*iagree* but just check your air filter, 02 sensor or run fuel injector cleaner when you fill up

lufkintravis
05-24-2005, 05:24 PM
new K&N filter, ran expensive injector cleaner through and hasn't helped the "out of breath" feeling or the stumbling idle, car doesn't run hot or anything but have noticed low coolant light coming on under hard acceleration, but when you level off, it goes right back off... seems to be oilyish dust accumulation on manifold lines (where the LIM joins the block or whatever) it looks like, but no oil burning or loss and don't think any coolant loss, i'm guessing LIM soon though... I've never seen plugs or wires make that much a difference with performance problems like these either... I could've bought the damn Yukon for less and had the same gas mileage... (with leather seats, to boot)... Also engine seems to really work after 4K rpm... really sluggish and not much torque until then...

IMICEMAN
05-27-2005, 11:48 AM
A clogged CAT will give you both sucky gas mileage and also crappy performance problems (ie, no power, shifing at high rpm's severly limited).

Panacea
05-27-2005, 04:04 PM
get the fuel injectors cleaned.

ViperGTSR
05-27-2005, 07:30 PM
i get 29mpg on the freeway :D i dotn know why, and thats WITH my 18s, its great

Clyde
05-28-2005, 05:23 AM
Im havin the same troubles my mechanic tells me its the MAF <mass air flow> filter thats causin the sluggish car and the horrid gas consumption. For all you experts out there -- is this a 'back yard mechanic' fix or do i have to pay to get it done??

steranko75
07-31-2005, 09:49 PM
I've never changed it on the GT, but the MAF was an easy fix on my explorer - take your old one into the store to get a 'core' charge reduced from the bill - that'll save a bunch (this means you'll need to go in another car :) )

KPimm
08-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Try putting a new fuel filter in.

coupe
08-01-2005, 07:05 AM
You definately have a LIM leak. Its not the cuase of your gas mileage im sure.