Temperature control knob removal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Temperature control knob removal

Coop14
05-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey!
New here.
Does anyone know how to effectively remove the rubber around the temp control knobs?
I had an '02 Sunfire and was able to remove the rubber and now that I bought this new car, I can't seem to figure out how to do it.
Please advise.

2002GT
05-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Remove the knobs from the climate control panel. Simply pull the knobs straight off (they may be stiff, but they will come!).

Use the hair dryer to heat the glued edge along the backside of the knob. You will see that the knob is clear, but has a grey vinyl covering over it.

After heating, simply pry along the edge of the circumference of the knob, prying the grey vinyl away from the clear plastic.

Once removed, you may wish to paint the knobs. If you apply a light coat, the light will shine through and illuminate the knob.

OR

Boil them in water for awhile and keep peeling away at the rubber

Coop14
05-24-2005, 04:45 PM
I tried boiling one and it didn't work. I have been peeling the plastic off with an exacto-knife for the last two hours. I think I will try the hair dryer approach. Thanks for your reply.

badboy2451
05-24-2005, 09:31 PM
2 hours is nothin, it takes patience to get it right...take your time and make sure that you dont melt them

DjSylentMystyk
05-25-2005, 05:44 AM
If you use nail polish remover, you will be able to remove the plastic much more easily than burning your hand with a hair dryer. this is what I did.
:put whole knob with plastic in a glass of nail polish remover. Then I took it out and kind of pryed up the sides with a butter knife to allow the acetone to infiltrate all the bumps and curves of the knob. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, and BAM, I just tore the stuff right off, left hardly any adhesive on the knob and the rest was removed by sanding. This is by far the BEST method to remove the plastic from those temp knobs.

Coop14
05-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the tips.
I am still working on the knobs. Almost have them done. Hard to do with kids and a full time job! Everyone (at home) thinks I am nuts and can't figure out what I am doing but it doesn't matter cuz when it's done they will see.

BigTaters
06-02-2005, 10:33 AM
ya man dont listen to thge guys that used heat guns and boiling water.. its not worth it. use nail polish remover. i did the boiling water on mine cause thats all that was noted here at one time.. then i did my buds in nail polish remover and its way easier.. like im talking 100 times easier lol.. the door ones.. like the pw pdl and so on. those are super easy.. maybe like 1-2 mins in the nail polish remover and the vinyl practically falls off.. if u want a red glow on the doors.. (which imo looks better than stock crap) get inventive and wire in different colored leds'' thats outta my league for the time being haha

Coop14
06-11-2005, 05:03 AM
I am STILL working on those darn knobs. I soaked one for two days in nail polish remover and still couldn't get them right.
I got a vinyl trim kit from rvinyl and have started applying that around the inside of the car. It is red and my interior is black. It looks really cool.
So you say you can do the same rubber removal on the pw/pl knobs too? Great!
Will keep working on the knobs...it's turning into a real knob job actually! lol

digitalballz
06-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I can get them done in about 25 mins. all three. Then just hit them with a smooth sandpaper and clearcloat them. I just did a set for Bibi (grandam02chick) I think thats her username.

Coop14
06-13-2005, 08:14 AM
I think I could have had them done sooner but I am out of fine grit sand paper. I was excited when I started the project because they are red plastic under that crappy factory grey.
Another problem is the fact I have kids running all over the place here and it is hard for me to get much done in one sitting. Unless, I give them all shots of Jack and put them to bed...I don't get them all down at once....that was a joke btw....would never feed children booze...my luck there wouldn't be any left for me! lol

DjSylentMystyk
06-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Did you pry up a little piece of the vinyl with some sort of knife before you tried to dunk them? I had my first knob sitting in the solution for literally 3 days and all it got was softer. Once I pried up a little piece to let the nail polish remover set in, the thing almost fell off the original knob. have another go at it.

Coop14
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
I couldn't get any part of it to pry up even a little bit. On my Sunfire the whole thing came off in one piece..after heating and prying. These are tougher.
Will keep working though. Thanks for all the advice.

digitalballz
06-13-2005, 05:58 PM
ive done a couple of sets for people i know. all come out real nice.

Joeyavhu
06-28-2005, 07:10 PM
I took of the PW/PL and you can clear all but one of those. Then, LEDs will fit behind them for a more custom look. The LEDs just arent bright enough to get through the Red plastic though for the HVACs. Good luck.