Rust Question [Archive] - Forum


View Full Version : Rust Question

05-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Today I was doing an oil change and I noticed that there is a piece of metal that runs pretty much the length of the car on the side right by the doors. Anyways, this piece by the back tire is flaking off. It's now a shinny silver. I am guessing that there is some kind of like black coating or something over it, as it will just flake off if you pick at it. My question is, should I put something over it, or just leave it? I'm not sure if thats stainless and will not rust or what? If anyone could help me out that would be awesome.

05-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Most of the body panels are galvanized steel to slow down rust. If its flaking, a bodyshop can repaint the piece, of you can go to an automotive supply store and have a custom factory match spray can made and touch it up yourself for the time being.

05-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, is it really worth spending the money to get this done? It's under the car totally out of sight. You wouldn't notice it unless you get down and look up under the car. I think it's flaking from jagoff's jacking up the car, but I could be wrong...

05-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Well fix it your self, a custom spray can is $20 max. The premade ones that they say may match are even cheaper.