Low Traction Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low Traction Light

Quaf069
05-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey all. I have used the search function for the forum and have read through a bunch threads, but am not sure if I have the same problem alot of people are describing.

1) I notice when i first start up the car, then take it out of park (either reverse if fowards), as I turn the steering wheel, The low traction light always comes on. This only happens at very low speeds or if i am stopped and just (to test it out) turn the wheel back and fourth.

In just regular driving on the road, the light doesn't come up. I've read about the wheel berings being off, but I just dont know thats me. The service veichle light did come on once while this happaend.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

brim
05-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey all. I have used the search function for the forum and have read through a bunch threads, but am not sure if I have the same problem alot of people are describing.

1) I notice when i first start up the car, then take it out of park (either reverse if fowards), as I turn the steering wheel, The low traction light always comes on. This only happens at very low speeds or if i am stopped and just (to test it out) turn the wheel back and fourth.

In just regular driving on the road, the light doesn't come up. I've read about the wheel berings being off, but I just dont know thats me. The service veichle light did come on once while this happaend.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

more than likely a bad wheel sensor which = hub assembly

i'd try disconnecting the plugs, cleaning out the connections and then resecuring them and see if it goes away

Pontiac Ninja
05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
thats interesting. Just today for the first time I had the low traction light come on all of a sudden when I slightly accelerated I believe it was (maybe turning also). I'll search to see if this is possiblyh the bad wheel sensor or whatever, but if anyone wants to let me know for sure on what it might be feel free. We both could use some help it sounds like. Good luck Quaf.

Clyde
05-26-2005, 02:16 AM
i'd try disconnecting the plugs, cleaning out the connections and then resecuring them and see if it goes away

Where exactly is this plug? Im havin the same troubles. Pics would be great! :)

action
05-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Its the only electrical connector on back of the brake rotor.

Quaf069
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM
i went to the dealer and they told me i need a new front tire (i dont remembr which one) speed sensor. Parts and labor like $280. I asked if i could ride around on it...he said yes but i do not have ABS. Is this true??

How does the speed sensor interact with the ABS??

Thanks

Matt

robry
05-26-2005, 03:11 PM
well the speed sensor monitors how fast your wheel is accelerating or decelerating and this information is directly used for your traction control/abs. Its a 4 channel system (one at each of the 4 wheels) that helps the ABS/ETS computer determine if you are in need of ABS or traction control.

brim
05-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Where exactly is this plug? Im havin the same troubles. Pics would be great! :)

it's really as simple as stated

all you have to do is get under the car, look behind the wheel

from behind the wheel you've got

1)the caliper bracket
2)the rotor
3)the wheel bearing/hub assembly

there's an electical plug that goes into the hub (aka big round thing with 5 studs in it to hold your wheel on)

brim
05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
280 isn't the worst i've seen

the hub assembly runs around $110

the first one that went on me I paid 330 or so for to have it done

I've had to do the driver side and REDO the passenger side since due to my mechanics bad part or ****up

coupe
05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Are you talkin about the "low traction" light or the "traction off" light?

brim
05-27-2005, 06:48 PM
low traction, but essentially the low traction can be getting tripped because of the sensor

1/2dolla
05-29-2005, 09:01 PM
I had the same problem after it rained. after cleaning the connectors the lightshave not come back yet

toddau
06-06-2005, 07:34 AM
do you have to take the rotor off to clean the sensor? Also, how do you find out which wheel it is? MIne does the same thing...

action
06-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Do both front wheel connectors. You dont need to take off the rotor to do it.

Quaf069
11-08-2007, 09:59 AM
what do you use to clean the sensors??

Quaf069
12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey all. you all have been very helpful, saving me $$ on simple repairs. It's time to give back to the community!

So here is what was happening to my car:

I would back out of a parking space, turn my wheels and the "low traction light" would come on. The light would go off when I straightened out my wheels and drove forward. However, the problem got worse, it now included times when I would turn my wheels at slow speeds going forward as well. It got to the point where there were times that the "Service Veichle Soon " Light and "No Trac" light came on. I would have to shut the car off and turn it back on.

I've been seeing the suggestions to get some electrical cleaner and spraying it on the wheel sensors (the cheap way), or taking it to the dealer (having the risk of them telling me I need a new wheel assembly and charging me alot of $$).

I went with option 1 and it worked (Cleaning the Wheel Sensors). Here is what I did:

1. The Parts:

- Electrical Cleaner from Radio Shack - $10 (see attachement)
- GM Dielectrical Silcone Grease- GM Part #12345579 - $11 (see attachement)

2. What I did:

Take off your two front tires. You do not have to remove any other parts. Behind the rotor, you will see an electrical plug that is connected by a plastic "clip". Disconnect the clip and you will see the connectors. Spray the Electrical cleaner from radio shack on each set of connectors. After that, take a plastic straw or coffee stirer and put some of the dielectrical grease on it. Really put alot of the grease on the senors (even leave chunks of it on the sensor). This will help make a better electrical connection.

Connect the clip back together and put the wheel back on. You are done! Takes like 5 minutes. Now do the other front wheel.

- Before taking you low traction light problem to the dealer, try this first. It may just be a dirty wheel sensor.

- its been over a month and no low traction light.

I hope this helps some people out.

Quaf

brim
12-29-2007, 10:58 AM
thread is still kickin heh

if anyone else reads into this i'd check the wiring as well due to the fact that it's all exposed, can lead to small cuts into the wire that'll act up when hit with road debris or when it gets wet