Noisy when braking???? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Noisy when braking????

ktgdgt04
05-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I own a 2004 Grand am Gt. Its only about 8 months old and I am having a lot of problems with it while braking. I get a very annoying and embarrassing grind/low pitch squeak while I brake. Its been in 7 times for this problem and I have had the brake pads replaced 6 times, the rotors refaced 1 time and the calipers replaced 1 time. I have taken it to 3 pontiac dealers around here and nobody can seem to fix this problem. I have even called the 1-800 number to GM! I do have after market rims on the car. I have called the place I purchased them from and they said there is no way they can damage the car because they are only 17" and stock is 16". I also took them off during the winter and still experienced this with my stock rims. Im looking for some answers...If any of you may be experiencing this or have an idea what it could possibly be PLEASE reply!!!

Bouchie11982
05-26-2005, 12:29 PM
i have this also in my 2003 GT, my bf has it too i've noticed but there is nothing u can do. im guessing its just the way it is..???

brim
05-26-2005, 06:54 PM
i had slight squealing while braking, the best thing you can do is switch out to new pads

I had the pads i bought it with, then had cheap carquest pads in

I've switched to carbon metallic fronts and semi metallic rears, and since then I haven't had any trouble aside from when they're wet

a good set of pads and rotors will do ya

Bouchie11982
05-27-2005, 07:21 AM
^^^^ hey Brim where is Dennis MASS??

brim
05-27-2005, 07:44 AM
^^^^ hey Brim where is Dennis MASS??

it's right smack in the middle of cape cod

although I'm now down in RI =\

UNCTYPE-S
05-27-2005, 08:09 AM
i have this also in my 2003 GT, my bf has it too i've noticed but there is nothing u can do. im guessing its just the way it is..???

if it wasnt like that from the factory, then is not "just the way it is"

ktgdgt04
05-28-2005, 08:52 AM
They did tell me at the pontiac dealer that there were metallic pads on it and thats why it would squeak like that. I know for a fact to that the rims are NOT causing the problem. My stock rims make the same noise. Its just frustrating!!!

Bouchie11982
05-28-2005, 03:03 PM
^^ ye ai hear ya Katie, when i hear some weird noise with my car i freak out.....right now it is that same braking thing, but i hear it ONLY on the passenger front wheel :???:

BigTaters
05-28-2005, 03:06 PM
it could possibly be the tires.. there was a tsb on that.. i had to have mine replaced.. they actually tried to tell me it was the rust ont he rotors.. i got new tires and it stopped the sounds so i made gm pay for them (sure had to fight with them though lol) even had to call the complaint department a few times. But i noticed on here there was a tsb at the time thats why i mentioned it to the dealer multiple times and they said they never heard anything about it.. asses. It was the goodyear eagle tires in 2000-2002 cars with certain product #'s on the actual tire themselves..

i know it sounds stupid but it is true.. i have soem nicer bf goodrich american eagle tires now and they are way better than the goodyear were and less money. The goodyear ones with the defect apparantly the inner rib on the tires was cut wrong or soemthing and it rubs on something when you turn and are braking at lower speeds.. It was damn embarrassing i remember clearly lol

BigTaters
05-28-2005, 03:10 PM
#02-03-10-003 Scraping/Scrunching Noise from Front of Vehicle During Low Speed Turning and Braking (Clean Front Wheels and Replace Front Tires Only) - (Jun 19, 2002)

this is what i had.. the lady i talked to at GM customer service said they had tonnes of complaints and there was a known defect in the goodyear tires.. the 2 dealers i took it to both blamed it on different things but eventually they covered my new tire cost under warranty