synthetic to regular oil? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : synthetic to regular oil?

onesexyga
05-26-2005, 06:02 PM
ive heard all about changing over to synthetic, but what about changing back to regular oil? My sister has a '00 SE with 88k on it. Shes doing a lot of commuting now putting on 500 miles a week. Its had Mobil I since day one, which is getting kind of pricey for her. Would it be a bad idea to change to regular oil?

ViperGTSR
05-26-2005, 06:21 PM
doesnt really matter in all honesty, sure some technician sounding guy will come in here talkina bout some random bull****. but the car has 88K, whatever damage is already done, change to regular, ull be just fine

scotiez
05-26-2005, 06:57 PM
ive heard all about changing over to synthetic, but what about changing back to regular oil? My sister has a '00 SE with 88k on it. Shes doing a lot of commuting now putting on 500 miles a week. Its had Mobil I since day one, which is getting kind of pricey for her. Would it be a bad idea to change to regular oil?

Why is it getting pricey for her? How many miles is she going before changing the oil? Mobil 1 is much better for her engine then regular dyno oil is, and it lasts alot longer to. She should be able to go 2 to 3 times longer with Mobil 1 then with regular oil.

If she puts on 500 miles a week, then thats 2000 miles a month. She should be able to go 3 to 4 months before changing the oil with mobil 1. I think it would be a huge mistake to switch it to regular oil.

Plus i see you live in New Hampshire. Mobil 1 stays flowable in the cold winter months, where regular oil gets very thick. Cold starts in the winter with thick oil is what does damage to the engine. Mobil 1 starts lubricating the engine right away in the winter since it stays thin and protects your motor.

SilverGAGT04
05-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Scotiez is correct. I use Mobil 1 0W30 and go 7000 on it before a change. I have read studies of Mobil 1 and Royal Purple being able to go 10,000-20,000 miles before having to be changed. I wouldn't want to do that in my car but it is nice to know I could.

Check this out http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
Tell me what you think.

Mike Jung
05-26-2005, 09:02 PM
...but what about changing back to regular oil?
My sister has a '00 SE with 88k on it.
Shes doing a lot of commuting now putting on 500 miles a week.
Its had Mobil I since day one, which is getting kind of pricey for her.
Would it be a bad idea to change to regular oil?
IMO,

I would keep using Mobil 1 & change it according to the OLM (oil life monitor) system.

Mobil 1 is not that expensive.
Just go to Walmart & buy the big jugs; like we have them in 4L or 4.4L jugs up here for sale.

I would think using 'dino' oil & doing more frequent oil changes, would be equal / to more costly because of the labour cost.
Plus less oil changes, means less time she has to take for them.

Yes, you can change back to 'dino' oil; but I wouldn't for the above reasons mentioned.

Panacea
05-27-2005, 05:27 AM
You could easily go 4-7k on Mobil 1. I go about 4-5k on mine. As for switching from Syn to Dino, I did that last oil change (well, dealer did becasue of the LIM gasket). No adverse affect. Oil is oil, just some is better than others.

onesexyga
05-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. Yes walmart has 5 quart jugs for like 20 bucks. The change oil lights goes off pretty often. Safe to just ignore it and go by miles? If so, how long would be safe. sisters a little careless about car maintence, so we have to watch after it quite a bit. The light is really the only reason she even thinks of changing her oil. She doesnt even check the level. This time it was down over 2 quarts!

ktgdgt04
05-28-2005, 09:01 AM
I use mobil 1 5w30 in my car. Its got about 15,000 miles and I have changed the oil twice. Once at 3,000 and another at about 11,000. I know that I ran my car for just about 8,000 miles befor my oil light came on that said I needed an oil change. Im not sure if its good to wait that long, :iconfused but my car seems to still run great. But when I change my oil I make sure that I put a K&N oil filter in to just to make sure. I have also heard that once you put mobil 1 in your vehicle you can ever put any kind of oil in it, is this true????