Purple Smoke??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Purple Smoke???

iroc355
05-28-2005, 03:38 PM
I was at a buddy's place today, when i got in my car to leave he said he seen a big puff of purple smoke coming out of my exhaust. Anyone heard of this before? Also at times my cars takes a long time of cranking to start.

Lets here some insight guys.

Ridenour
05-28-2005, 03:55 PM
You're burning oil. You could have bad o-rings, or a bad headgasket.

tenspeed
05-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Head gasket would be white smoke.

When you shut the car off, there is oil up in the valve train. You have valve guides to keep the oil from getting into the cylinders. If the guides are worn, oil will seep into the cylinder and burn at start up. If the rings are worn, it would smoke all the time. It normal with a engine that has miles on it.

Keep a eye on the oil level.

atc3434
05-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Head gasket would be white smoke.

When you shut the car off, there is oil up in the valve train. You have valve guides to keep the oil from getting into the cylinders. If the guides are worn, oil will seep into the cylinder and burn at start up. If the rings are worn, it would smoke all the time. It normal with a engine that has miles on it.

Keep a eye on the oil level.

+1 I usually get a slight oil burn on startup anytime I've been doing serious hard driving without an extended cruise afterwards, such as autocross or 1/4 mile runs. I don't get it during normal operation, but parking it after having turn some serious rpms, I'll get a little bit of oil burnoff at startup.

iroc355
05-29-2005, 06:27 AM
I don't use any oil and I've never noticed this before. The car has 92km on it and has yet to get a tune up since new, so I'm taking it in to get a tune up(plugs,wires,fuel filter, etc.) and hopefully it'll make a difference.

by the way are the msd wires worth buying or should i just go with stock again?

tenspeed
05-29-2005, 07:21 AM
+1 I usually get a slight oil burn on startup anytime I've been doing serious hard driving without an extended cruise afterwards, such as autocross or 1/4 mile runs. I don't get it during normal operation, but parking it after having turn some serious rpms, I'll get a little bit of oil burnoff at startup.

I have seen some cars at autocrosses smoke when they're at redline and holding that gear till the next set of cones or heading for the finish. High speed thruway runs will burn more oil than normal too.

There's two ways for oil to get into the cylinder, valve train or rings. I don't think high RPMs would push much more oil past the rings but you would have more oil flow to the valves. If there's more oil around the valves, more is getting past the guides and being burnt on startup. I have a Chevy van that blows a cloud of blue smoke at every startup. I know the guides are worn after 200K miles but we don't use the van much so we just keep the oil level full.

atc3434
05-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Exactly... the extended high rpms put a lot of oil in the topend, and especially if you shutdown with all that oil up there, its likely to have some get past teh valve guides.