Car Won't Start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Start

wildcanada1
05-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey everyone. I know this topic has been around for awhile, but I thought I'd write about my problem.

I have a 2001 Grand Am GT with about 60,000 Kms and it has been having problems starting lately. I've read through the topics and I think I'm going to rule out the Passlock problem because I don't get the flashing security light. Although I did try the relearn strategy and that never did anything.

The car will continually crank over but just won't fire. I don't even hear it attempting to fire at all, hence no spark or fuel .. I think.

If I turn the key to the on position and wait for 5 seconds, I can hear a small sputter like it was trying to fire but thats about it ... then it continues to crank and crank.

I had it towed to the dealership about 2 weeks ago and as soon as it got there, it started fine for the next 3 days. How stupid. Now 2 weeks later, it decided to act up again, thankfully in my parking spot at home.

What sort of things should I look for before taking it in?

Fuses? Spark? Fuel Filter? Fuel Pump?

Thanks for your help .. :rage:

Mike

rizer
05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, i'd check the fuse's. Specially the fuel pump fuse

BigTaters
05-30-2005, 02:45 PM
yah man.. i had the exact same problem .. identical.. i had it towed to a pontiac dealer.. i adimately told them to check the fuses to the fuel system.. (i checked them but couldnt find anything)(musta missed one haha) but anyways they called back 2 hrs later and told me it must be my pump.. i was like thats bs it ran fine until it wouldnt start just outta the blue;.. so i got it towed to my bros gm for wholesale parts and labour lol and they replaced the pump and guess what it still didnt start.. so they went back towards the engine and low and behold a 80 cent 10 amp fuse was the cause... so i made sure and took my bill to the other dealer and made them pay for it since they charged me 85 bucks to misdiagnose my car with a 600.00 fuel pump and 3 hours labour.. asses lol

wildcanada1
05-30-2005, 02:58 PM
So where is this wonderful fuel pump fuse located? I know there are fuses on the sides of the console, but anything under the hood I should be checking?

I haven't done much work on cars in years.. so please bare with me. :iconfused

BigTaters
05-30-2005, 03:29 PM
i really dont know where it was.. i didnt see one.. i tested the fuses and they were all good.. i obviously didnt check the right one lol.. maybe call your local dealer.. it basically just wont allow fuel to hit the fuel pump.. they will likely know where it is.. well maybe get them to ask a mechanic or talk to the parts department

wildcanada1
05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
I checked the fuses under the hood and they are all fine. Now, there is a relay under there for the Fuel Pump, which I didn't check yet.

How does one check if the relay is working or not?

Thanks,
M

BigTaters
05-30-2005, 04:09 PM
u cant really.. just swap with another one that is the same.. relays pretty much never blow though.. did u make sure and check both points on the fuses? left and right.. i know it sounds dumb but sometimes if one lights up and the other doesnt it might be blown still

but other than that phone gm.. thats what they are there for

wildcanada1
05-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks.

Yeah all the fuses looked good. How do you swap the relay? Does it just pop out? Do i need any special tool to get it out?

Thanks
M

redramair01
05-31-2005, 07:11 AM
Does the security light flash or stay on?

BigTaters
05-31-2005, 03:49 PM
them relays are harder than hell to take out.. just brute force or maybe some vice grips.. i wouldnt use small pliers.. .. but it shouldnt be them.. the guys i talked to say they rarely if ever would blow up.. the fuse would blow first..