Need to flush my coolant got this lovely gookie build up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need to flush my coolant got this lovely gookie build up

braves511
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
SO lets start at the beginning.....on Friday I was driving and my low coolant light went on so I figured no problem ill just add more....well when I opened the top for the coolant i found this disgusting gookie cr*p. Well anyway I added fluid and that gook has been bothering me for the last few days and I have decided to flush out my system and add new fluid....what have people used and gotten good results with...Do I have to use something with Dex-COOL? and is there anything I should check before putting new fluid in....also one oversite how do I flush the system. I know about the release valuse and yadda yadda, but what do i run through the system to clean it out? I did a search btw thats how i know about the 2 releases on the bottom of the radiator, so dont say search. Thanks all.

2Dambad
05-31-2005, 05:17 PM
SO lets start at the beginning.....on Friday I was driving and my low coolant light went on so I figured no problem ill just add more....well when I opened the top for the coolant i found this disgusting gookie cr*p. Well anyway I added fluid and that gook has been bothering me for the last few days and I have decided to flush out my system and add new fluid....what have people used and gotten good results with...Do I have to use something with Dex-COOL? and is there anything I should check before putting new fluid in....also one oversite how do I flush the system. I know about the release valuse and yadda yadda, but what do i run through the system to clean it out? I did a search btw thats how i know about the 2 releases on the bottom of the radiator, so dont say search. Thanks all.
Really no use flushing the coolant until you get your LIM changed. That is what is causing the "gookie crap"

eric99gt
05-31-2005, 05:25 PM
check your oil...if the same thing is happening there get it changed quick. can cause many more problems

braves511
05-31-2005, 06:07 PM
oil is perfectly normal it was changed like a week ago....it was no differnt than it has ever been...how much a lim run? orcan i clean it some how

eric99gt
05-31-2005, 06:47 PM
LIM is like an $800 dollar job. Can't clean it. It's an actual gasket that goes bad.

boost21
05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
he can still get it done if he is under the facotry warrenty

iceman
05-31-2005, 08:19 PM
You will get gook without an LIM leak... If your oil is clean then you are probably good to go on that front.

You can easily flush the coolant with one of those prestone flush kits that you T a coolant line with and hook up a hose. I did it, theres a pic and thread around here somewheres you'll need to search for it.

grande
06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
whatever you do, pleeeease do your car a favor and dont run dex cool. that crap will gunk up your car by itself, leak or not. my friend is a sae certified gm mechanic and we recently replaced the lower intake gasket on my wife's 99 SE. he had warned me before and told me how awful that dexcool junk is and i took his word on it, but seeing it for myself was something else. there was one whole water jacket that was completely clogged. it looked like dog food and chewing gum mixed together and had a rubbery consistency to it.

we had been getting low coolant lights about every couple of weeks, and i would add about a half gallon of water each time. my bud told me it was that gasket and we replaced it, and it did need it, but it still kept bitching about water. turned out to be the O ring on the radiator cap, so check that out too.

i dont have the websites handy that told all about dexcool but if anyone is interested i will see if my friend can find them again and i'll post the links.

SilverGAGT04
06-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I believe the dexcool is what causes LIM gaskets to fail like they do. When I do my LIM gasket on my car under warranty, before the 3/36 is up, I am going to convert over to green. I did it with my 99 Sonoma and will do it to my 04. I had overheating problems with my Sonoma, then when I went to green all of them were gone. I reccomend people do this if they want a reliable cooling system.

eric99gt
06-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I honestly doubt the problem is dexcool. That gunky stuff you're seeing is caused by the oil mixing in with it. The LIM manifold leak was due to a poor design. I've had dexcool in mine since the beginning and no problems.

rocketfast123
06-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Lets not start dexccol is crap stuff. If they run it in vettes it's ok for my car. My coolant stills look new at 57k. It's never been flush.

TOMGT99
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
It's definitely the LIM. Been there down that at 80,000 miles. As stated above it's live between $700-800. All grand ams will eventually go through it

grande
06-03-2005, 03:16 PM
but i sure wouldn't run that stuff in my lawn mower, if it was liquid cooled.

i bought an '03 GT today, what sort of fun stuff can i look forward to fixing on it?

crazypontiac03
06-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I heard that u will **** up your radiator if u switch from dexcool to the green ****?