Fog Lights problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lights problems

Firsty1
05-31-2005, 03:58 PM
I read a recent post about someone having problems with their fog lights, it sounded similar to the problem I am having:

One night I noticed my fog lights had not turned on. The switch on the dash is turned on and it illuminates properly. I tested the fuse and it was fine, I also measured to see if I was getting any power just before the light and there was no powering getting there, so I'm pretty confident it's not the lights. My Relay, unlike the similar post, DOES click when I flip the switch so it doesn't seem to be a broken relay, otherwise I didn't think it would click.

Anyone have any advice? I tried looking for an electrical schematic to see if maybe there were any other components inline on the circuit that I could check but I didnt find any. Is it worth replacing the relay even though I hear the click, or any way to test it? also Can you pick them up at an auto store or will I have to get it from a dealer. (if that is the problem, I'm very open to any other suggestions you may have)

Thanks guys!

Firsty1
06-01-2005, 09:41 AM
I read in one of the previous posts with a similar problem, someone reccomended jumping a wire to test if it were the relay. I jumped a wire where the relay is... the power light turned on but the fog lights were still out. I did notice a small hole in the glass where a rock hit, which may have burned out that bulb, but I dont think the should make both lights go out? They are also aftermarket fog lights.. not sure what wattage or anything, but could they have just happened to go out at the same time? They were in the car for about a year and this is the first problem I've had.

tenspeed
06-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Unplug the light, hook up a meter and see if you have power to the light. If you have power, check the bulb for continuity.

You could have blown out one bulb and not noticed it until the second one went out.

Firsty1
06-01-2005, 01:21 PM
I have no power to the light. it's got to be something after the relay, I was thinking maybe a short of some sort but that would more than likely blow the fuse? So I am pretty stumped on the one. Also I was thinking maybe there's a lose connection somewhere, but I cant follow the fog light wires so I dont know where they go, and I dont think there are any other components after the relay, I could be wrong though. thanks for the suggestion

tenspeed
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
It is possible that your relay clicks but doesn't pass any power. Check to see if you have power out of the relay. You can also take some relays apart and check out the contacts.

Firsty1
06-01-2005, 02:19 PM
I dont have a multimeter to check it, but instead I used a 12V interior neon light, I hooked the ground up.. and had the relay pushed in, but not completely so that the pins were still slightly showing. I connected the positive wire of the neon to the "output" part of the relay and it was giving out power, the light lit up (haha I know it's ghetto, but its all I had handy at the time). Also, even when I used the jumper instead of the relay the lights remained off, maybe I have a bad ground, lose connection, or something. I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealer to get checked out for $$ reasons but I'm running low on ideas. The only other thing I came up with was.. while searching "Advance Autoparts" website for a Fog Lamp Relay 2 results came up. They have you put your car information in so I'd assume both of the relays must fit my car. one had 4 pins (which is the one I have looked at) the other was a 5 pin relay.. I dont know if maybe that's a separate relay somewhere in the car I should look at but I checked all the fuses boxes and didnt see it. Sorry for the repeated and really long posts but I appreciate the ideas

tenspeed
06-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Your test light will work just fine. You can get a inexpensive digital multimeter from ebay or Harbor Freight if you have a store near you. They are less than $10.

So you have power leaving the relay but not getting to the fog lights. That is really strange. You may want to double check for power at the fog lights again. If it's still not there, you have to have a open somewhere in the circuit.

It might be easier to run a new wire if you can't find where it is.

Firsty1
06-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I think that's the best bet, maybe my ghetto testing method isn't all its cracked up to be, ha! big suprise, I'll try to pick up a multimeter tomorrow and test again. I'm also getting new fog lights anyway since one was cracked, if not I guess I'll be running that wire, I just dont know how to hook it up to the stock relay. I'm hoping the problem will be solved before it comes to that anyway, but I'll update tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks again. -Seth

Firsty1
06-03-2005, 10:08 AM
So I took your advice, got a multimeter.. $20 to see if I could finally get to the bottom of this. As it turns out, my neon light multimneter technique may not be the smartest way of solving problems. haha- big shock, but I guess we learn new things all the time. When I used the real multimeter I was in fact getting 12 volts to the light, the bulbs must have just blown around the same time. I just picked up a new pair of fog lights, they aren't anything special but I'm going to go work on mounting them right now and see if I can't get them done before work. Thanks a lot Tenspeed for your help!