turn signal mod? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : turn signal mod?

pyro
05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
ok,i used search and nothing came up, like usual and im changing all of my lights on my car to leds, and i was wondering if there is a way to change the front inner 3157 bulb socket to just be a parking light, rather than be a turnsignal/hazzard lamp. And if possible i would like it to run on the higher wattage instead of the lower one.

thanks

magyver
05-31-2005, 08:55 PM
no prob dude, you can do it very easy, but it involves cutting of the factory wires unless you got to an auto parts store and buy an 3157 socket, if you do this, and buy the socket so you dont have to hack out your factory ones, its fairly easy

LIST OF THINGS NEEDED:
1: red t-taps 4 of them w/ 4 red insulated male spade connectors
2: 3157 sockets (2)

STEPS
1: take out socket from headlight
2: take our your bulb
3: crimp on the red t-tap devices to the brown and black wires
4: strip and crimp on the red male spades to the blue and black wires of the 3157 socket you just bought
5: plug the black male spade into the t-tap and the blue spade into the brown t-tap
6: put new 3157 socket and bulb into your headlight

on a side note, your outer 194 will be your only blinker, which NO ONE can see, it is hella dim.. no one will know your turning.. especialy at night cause the briightness of the 3157 on constandly will drown it out completely..

what i did was cut the parking light wire from the 3157 so all i have is my outers for parking lights, and the blinker of the 3157 still works... just a suggestion... w/ my setup, i have a 9 led 194 bulb in the middle 194.. almost acts like a daytime runnigh light... but be my guest.. pm me for any more help...

boost21
05-31-2005, 08:58 PM
i just put a 3156 bulb in there wich is a single fillament and only turns on when my signal is on.
pyromaniac6565 check your PM box

pyro
05-31-2005, 09:29 PM
pms sent

magyver
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
i just put a 3156 bulb in there wich is a single fillament and only turns on when my signal is on.
pyromaniac6565 check your PM box

thats fine but its not what he described... its the exact 180 of it.. mine is still correct

pyro
06-03-2005, 10:32 PM
what i did was cut the parking light wire from the 3157 so all i have is my outers for parking lights, and the blinker of the 3157 still works... just a suggestion... w/ my setup, i have a 9 led 194 bulb in the middle 194.. almost acts like a daytime runnigh light... but be my guest.. pm me for any more help...

will a 9 led fit in the outer space behind the reflector? i think it may be too big
also, does anyone know of a 912-921 led bulb that is a refractor, im changing out my chsml to leds and they dont fill in the lense at all.
thanks

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-07-2008, 01:26 PM
can youi change out that 3157N/A yellow bulb to a clear 3157. legally . we already have a yellow turn signal in the yelow corner reflector . is that enough.

stillriza
06-07-2008, 01:36 PM
can youi change out that 3157N/A yellow bulb to a clear 3157. legally . we already have a yellow turn signal in the yelow corner reflector . is that enough.

Yes you can. As long as you have the amber reflector in there, you can change that to a clear or white bulb.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-07-2008, 02:07 PM
i meant that large round bulb closest to the center of the car narrowest end of headlight assembly NO REFLECTOR THERE. i plan to leave the tiny bulb yellow that is behind the corner fender reflector end of the headlight.

reason i ask is because i am finally getting around to swaping in the new TYC chrome with blk inside housing style headlights. and my corner reflector is the clear lense with blk in behind it also.

so i am trying to see if we can have all clear bulbs all the way across with the exception of that corner blinker behind the corner reflector. that will remain a yellow blinker bulb. is it legal cdn and or usa ,and would it look good.

since the new headlight assemblies are all clear be nice to elimiante as much yellow bulbs as possible. i already swapped out the second tiny 194 bulb to a clear one ,that is next to the large round 1157n/a bulb

stillriza
06-07-2008, 02:28 PM
i meant that large round bulb closest to the center of the car narrowest end of headlight assembly NO REFLECTOR THERE. i plan to leave the tiny bulb yellow that is behind the corner fender reflector end of the headlight.

so i am trying to see if we can have all clear bulbs all the way across with the exception of that corner blinker behind the corner reflector. that will remain a yellow blinker bulb. is it legal cdn and or usa ,and would it look good.

Again..your answer is yes. As long as you have the reflector in your housing you can have all clear bulbs in your headlights. When the blinker under the reflector lights up, it will look amber.

So yes.. you can have all clear bulbs all across.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-07-2008, 03:03 PM
okay trying to fully understand . i guess my own lost area is you meantion as long as the reflector is yellow. well the 1157n/a bulb that is closest to the center of the vehicle has no yellow reflector the inside backing around that bulb and all others is chrome with the exception of the far corner reflector.

so when i make the new headlight assembly change , example using the drivers headlight and starting from the center of grill working towards the reflector at fender corner .

i will have a clear bulb 3157 that BLINKS for most part white or yellowish white as you said , then a 194 clear bulb that is now STAYS ON white , then my headlight bulbs 9007show in white , then my corner refector with BINKING yellow bulb. so all would be good except we are not sure if the front blinking bulb change from yellow bulb to clear blinking bulb would be legal correct. THANKS FOR YOU QUICK HELP BY THE WAY.

stillriza
06-07-2008, 07:18 PM
okay trying to fully understand . i guess my own lost area is you meantion as long as the reflector is yellow. well the 1157n/a bulb that is closest to the center of the vehicle has no yellow reflector the inside backing around that bulb and all others is chrome with the exception of the far corner reflector.

so when i make the new headlight assembly change , example using the drivers headlight and starting from the center of grill working towards the reflector at fender corner .

i will have a clear bulb 3157 that BLINKS for most part white or yellowish white as you said , then a 194 clear bulb that is now STAYS ON white , then my headlight bulbs 9007show in white , then my corner refector with BINKING yellow bulb. so all would be good except we are not sure if the front blinking bulb change from yellow bulb to clear blinking bulb would be legal correct. THANKS FOR YOU QUICK HELP BY THE WAY.

Here is the thing...by law you are required an amber blinker..

In you headlight housing..the far left corner has an amber reflector., unless you get the headlight housing with the clear corners.

Since there is that amber reflector in your lense, even when you have a white bulb under that reflector part...it will still look amber when your signal is on. Reason being..the light hits the reflector and lights it up an amber colour.

As for the rest of the lights..it's ok for all of them to be white..even the one your concerned about..becuase you technically have an amber blinker (due to the reflector). Am I making sense?

Like i said..you can have white bulbs all the way across...(that is the setup I am running at the moment) and the blinker will still blink amber becuase of the reflector in the lense. Hope that helps.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-07-2008, 07:36 PM
got you now thanks . still have the factory headlights in now will go out now and see at night how easy it will still be for other on coming drivers to see the far corner reflectors when they blink.

just want to makesure it bright enough to keep me out of accident. although likely will be again less noticeable after i put the clear reflector style new headslights in .

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-07-2008, 08:10 PM
not overly bright if i leave that as my only YELLOW blinking bulb . is there a stronger / brighter yellow blinking bulb i can put in it's place to brighten that corner up.

because i am thinking it will be even LESS bright ????, when it's behind the new headlight clear corner reflector with has the blk inside housing behind the reflector. what do you think . or will the clear lense make that yellow blinking bulb brighter ??

stillriza
06-08-2008, 08:13 AM
not overly bright if i leave that as my only YELLOW blinking bulb . is there a stronger / brighter yellow blinking bulb i can put in it's place to brighten that corner up.

because i am thinking it will be even LESS bright ????, when it's behind the new headlight clear corner reflector with has the blk inside housing behind the reflector. what do you think . or will the clear lense make that yellow blinking bulb brighter ??

i think the brightest yellow blinker is the ones made by sylvania, but i could be wrong. Did you check in the day time or at nite?

it will be brighter at night obvisouly, but i dont need to tell you that. And when you do get the new black style headlights all your light output will be slightly less. the chrome style clear corner housing has slightly better output beucase the light reflects better off the chrome than off the black housing.

anyways, you will be fine with your current setup. you don't need to stress over it.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-08-2008, 08:35 AM
yes i checked last night day light kind of tuff to see up close . maybe easier to see farther away ??? just want to make sure if that corner reflector in my case clear with blk backing is going to be the only place with blinking yellow bulb. that it's visible enough for oncoming cars to see.

not sure when i change the other bulb the 3157n/a to clear 3157 has to how well that will be seen by others at least in day light. night time should be no problem after all it will still flash.

guess i will just have to see my self. just want to not have to take these headlights out anymore then reqiured , when i hear things break etc.

i did have them out myself once , only tuff problem was ligning up the aimers to there hole locations when pushing headlight assembly back in then wee sang pushing the clips back down. but has far as i know nothing broke.

TOO BAD they did not make clear bulbs that flash in yellow. sylvainia . we have cdn tire up here , napa / uap gm dealers not much more. i tend to use from cdn-tire general electric long life

stillriza
06-08-2008, 08:49 AM
TOO BAD they did not make clear bulbs that flash in yellow.

they actually do! They are called SilverStar Performance Signal Light bulbs. They light up yellow but look totally clear. I think PFYC also sells them too.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/SilverStarSignal/ProductLine/

And here as well
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN1021/GAEXT/Stealth+Invisible+Signal+Bulbs+-+most+makes+and+models.html

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-08-2008, 02:47 PM
THANKS FOR THAT INFO. THOSE WOULD BE CLOSE TO THE IDEA. BUT NOT SURE IF 1005 RIGHT ON. THAT 3157N/A THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CLEAR , WOULD ONLY BE CLEAR WHEN HEADLIGHTS / PARKING LIGHTS ARE NOT ON. ONCE PARKING LIGHT WERE ON THEN YOU WOULD HAVE THE UGLY YELLOW LIGHT AND OF COURSE YELLOW LIGHT WHEN BLINKING.

so if they were clear when not on and clear when just parking lights were on BUT then when yellow when signal is on. that would be 100% right up my alley.

also i was wounder more about that small 168 that is behind that reflector.