Grand Am CD Players and code E20..... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grand Am CD Players and code E20.....

eBandit
05-31-2005, 09:56 PM
My CD player on my 2000 Grand AM GT just displays code E20 and spits the CD's out everytime I put one in no matter what. At first I though the eye could be knocked out of whack or dirty because I bought the car as a lightly wrecked vehicle. But after checking into the matter it looks as if this is a common problem amoung these cars.

Anyway, my question is: If I were to replace the radio with another factory one, are there any certian years or models (ie. 2002 Trans Am, 97 Sunfire, etc.) that would have less of a chance to have the same problem, like so many others have had?

For several reasons, I prefer to stay with factory right now, but dont want to buy a radio that will act up in a few months (or weeks).

Can anyone tell me what my best options are as far as trying to stay with factory? (or is it just hopeless?).

Thanks,

Charles

pyro
05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
you can buy my stock one from my 99 malibu ls if you want, $20 bucks. im pretty sure as long as you stay within a few years youll be fine with any n-body stereo.

eBandit
06-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Also does anyone know if there is any difference between my head unit (2000 Grand Am GT CD Player with EQ) and the same type of unit that says Monsoon on it?

eBandit
06-03-2005, 07:06 PM
No one has any info on these CD Players? Basically I would like to know if any certian years etc. are any better than others. Would I be wasting my time to buy another CD player (stock one) or not, I dont want to buy one and then it take a crap in a few months or weeks. I prefer to stay stock right now, but if I have to I guess I could add a changer or something or replace with aftermarket (but again I prefer not to).

Any help? Any Info?

Thanks,

Jason E
06-04-2005, 12:36 PM
No, they all either work or they don't. My '01 GP had a fresh one put in it when I got it while still under factory warranty. Meanwhile, my fiance's '99 GA SE's head unit works perfect and is the original. You never know.

Don't buy a Monsoon head unit...won't work. There's plenty of generic ones out there...I own two :D

E20 means the CD can't be read, by the way. FWIW, it happens more with burned CDs than store bought ones, according to my dealer. Store bought ones for some reason are harder for some CD players to read...that may be BS though.

eBandit
06-04-2005, 11:09 PM
So if I buy one that is a couple years old (that works fine), will I have good odds on it working for awhile. Or am I taking a chance no matter what?