Power Options Going Nuts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Options Going Nuts

Jason E
06-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Ok, I'm getting a little baffled here...hope someone can help. 3 weeks ago my girlfriend's sunroof stopped working right. Push the button once, it would vent. Push it again, and it would only slide back about 2" and stop. It would then close fine, however. She messed with 6-7 times, and it kept doing the same thing. By the time she was done with her 2 hour trip, it worked fine and continued working right until this morning.

Yesterday, after coming back from an 8 day vacation she started it up and the driver window would not move. All 3 other windows worked fine. Drove it 3 hours home, and last night it still didn't work. I figured the switch had gone bad.

This morning, on her way to work the driver window now works fine, but the sunroof is now doing the same thing it was 3 weeks ago!!!!!!! WTF?????? Is it possible she has a bad ground? Are these 2 problems related, or entirely different? I know both are on different circuits, so I think they are not related? When the sunroof wasn't working right 3 weeks ago, I did a search and found 2 other guys had bad sunroof motors when their's did the same thing.

Somebody help!!!! She just got this car 4-5 weeks ago, and she gave up an immaculately running '93 Probe for the GA. She's gonna kill me if I put her in "a lemon"....

pyro
06-02-2005, 11:53 AM
you got a lemon, happened to my friend, gm couldnt reprogram the sensors or chip or something, so she just took out all the power options, seats , windows and locks, it sucks.

Jason E
06-02-2005, 12:51 PM
With all due respect, that's not exactly the solution I'm looking for. Something must be causing these issues. I'm sure it will not be easy to find, but its likely someone else here has experienced at least something like this before...

sc02grandam
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
just pull everything apart and check the wires with a multimeter.. do a continuity test.. check if the switches are good.. i dont think windows or sunroof are controlled by the bcm.. its a completely separate system so it should be fairly easy to do

Jason E
06-02-2005, 02:10 PM
We'll see if the sunroof begins working on her way home tonight...I'm willing to bet it will. I just wonder if the 2 things are related or not...very odd.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

sc02grandam
06-02-2005, 03:04 PM
i just checked the wiring schematics of both sunroof and power windows.. they are both isolated systems and have nothing to do with each other

something you might want to check is the fuse block

SilverGAGT04
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
The next time the sunroof acts up, open it till it stops. Then close it and let go of the botton. Within 6 seconds of closing it and letting go of the botton, push and hold the botton in the closed position. The glass should try to open and go all the way back and then close by its self. DO NOT LET GO OF THE BUTTON TILL IT CLOSES. Then wait about 1 min and see if the glass works right. I am guessing that you have a window motor that is dying, and that the sunroof needs to be timed. The proceedure I gave you is to time the roof.

Jason E
06-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, thanks for the info on timing the sunroof. I also appreciate re-confirmation on the wiring. Based on the fuse setup, I assumed there really wasn't a way they were related, but I'm not a know-it-all when it comes to electronics either.

But here's something interesting...I think I fixed it :winner: Wanna know how? The negative terminal on the battery was barely hand tight!!!!!!!!! I tightened it a little, after it didn't work right about 6 times, and it opened perfect. Tightened it some more, tested it another 15 or so times, went for a ride and whacked some potholes, and it works great lol. A shot in the dark, but maybe I solved it? Time will tell. It worked fine this afternoon, then didn't work right tonight until I messed with the battery...

Jason E
06-03-2005, 06:17 AM
OK, I take it back...like I said above, it seemed just too easy. Window is still fine, but the sunroof was acting up this morning. Bad sunroof motor? SilverGAGT04, thanks again for the info on the timing...I'll try that before I write off this motor. Do you think the window motor really is going? I've seen 3 other GMs where the window wouldn't work for a day or so, and then they'd work again and worked fine ever since. I dunno...

I'll let you guys know if the timing thing works...any other info is sincerely appreciated.

Jason E
06-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Well, I tried this sunroof timing thing, and when I push close after its closed it doesn't do a damn thing. I asked one of the techs here at work, and he said the only time you need to re-time a sunroof is when you remove it. I dunno...he mentioned a couple parts in the assembly that could be goofing it. All I know is, its getting worse and more obnoxious.