Transmission Problem? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem?

traingeek087
06-05-2005, 09:27 PM
ok so here's what's up. Driving around tonight and i stopped at a lot. i then put the thing in reverse and backed out and my car was cool, but when i put it into drive the engine revvvved but hardly went anywhere. it appears that the tranny was trying to catch, but wasn't. i tried turning the car off and taking the keys out then starting it again and this did not help. Something is terribly wrong with my tranny. Any suggestions what it could be? I was thinking about changing the transmission fluid because it could need to be replaced and or low, but i don't know how. Does anyone know how to do this?

eBandit
06-06-2005, 07:54 PM
It sucks that GM didnt put a tranny dipstick on our cars dont it. The only way to check the fluid is to have the car in the air (preferably on a lift) and have it perfectly level. Then their is a plug on the tranny you have to remove to check the fluid (car running of course).

I'm new to the Grand Am though so I couldnt say what all could be wrong with your car. Other than low tranny fluid, there are many other possibilities though.

atc3434
06-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Sounds like low fluid. Its happend to a few guys that the shaft seal starts leaking. Eventually you'll loose enough fluid till it won't wanna move when its cold. Will it move once you let it warm up some? The reason reverse still works is the line pressue is higher in reverse than drive, so it'll work better. You can try going reverse to drive a few times to see if you can get it moving. I'd get the tranny fluid checked, it defintely sounds like its low. Then look for where its leaking, my money is on the shaft seal, I replaced mine this winter.

traingeek087
06-06-2005, 08:43 PM
now the funny thing is it's fine now. today i backed it out of the garage and it ran fine. took it to the dealership and they drove it and said they don't know. Kinda strange. I haven't seen any fluid on the ground at all.

Intuit57
06-28-2005, 05:51 AM
traingeek087, my '99 had the same problem. I changed the tranny fluid...had the pan dropped...called in to car-help talkshows...with No Luck!!! I noticed it only happened when the engine was hot...from Reverse to any gear or often just from Park to any gear. I had an extended warranty that was almost expiring so I risked it and had a tranny shop take it apart. they put all new parts(so they said) and it still did the same thing! Then I asked thyem if they had inspected(fixed/replaced) the Valve Body..they said NO. I left the car with them for another few days and they did 'whatever' to the valvebody and now it is fine. So, hope that helps ya a bit?

SilverGAGT04
06-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Thats what I'd guess, dirt in a fluid passage in the valvebody sticking a valve, solenoid, or a ball.

seffedman
06-30-2005, 02:52 PM
My 2000 GT is having the same problem I still haven't checked the fluid level yet (it does suck there is no dip stick) going to this weekend, but I've never heard of a valve body? What's a valve body? Any help would be awesome.

badboy2451
06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
yup i have the same problem with my car, only when the car is warm and only when you go from reverse to drive

probably gonna drop the pan and change it all out, maybe add some lucas tranny treatment, i heard that stuff will help with a tranny slip...anybody else have input??

sonicfrequency
07-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Yup Mine does the same thing.... Had a new tranny fluid filter kit and new fluid put in...still does it and only when its warm and Ive been driving for more than a half hour or so...I think this maybe something we just have to live with, even a girl at work has a 99 grand am gt identical to mine that does the same exact thing. If someone could please shine a little light on this subject or atleast link us to another forum post with a better answer...THanks! :thumbs:

bigtard
08-20-2005, 12:37 PM
ok so here's what's up. Driving around tonight and i stopped at a lot. i then put the thing in reverse and backed out and my car was cool, but when i put it into drive the engine revvvved but hardly went anywhere. it appears that the tranny was trying to catch, but wasn't. i tried turning the car off and taking the keys out then starting it again and this did not help. Something is terribly wrong with my tranny. Any suggestions what it could be? I was thinking about changing the transmission fluid because it could need to be replaced and or low, but i don't know how. Does anyone know how to do this?

I have a 1999 GT that does the same thing on occasion. I took it to one transmission shop, and they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong other than the fact that the oil was a little low. (Obviously there's something wrong -- why do they think I took it to them?). They filled it up and sent me on my way. And then the problem continued. Then I took it to a GM dealership. They couldn't find anything wrong either. They basically said, "well, with that many miles (~94k) you'll probably have to get a new transmission. A service replacement will cost about $3600."

For now, it only seems to slip when shifting into drive when it gets really hot. And since I only drive it about 5 miles for my commute each way, it doesn't normally get hot. So, I'm just hoping nothing goes out any time soon

Bgonz22
08-20-2005, 12:48 PM
yup i have the same problem with my car, only when the car is warm and only when you go from reverse to drive

probably gonna drop the pan and change it all out, maybe add some lucas tranny treatment, i heard that stuff will help with a tranny slip...anybody else have input??
Before you put Lucas Oil treatment... check out bobtheoilguy.com or something and click on additives. Personally.... I'd say away from additives if you have good oil.

Inferno
08-21-2005, 07:30 AM
My tranny is on its way to heaven. It slips going around corners and during hard accelerations. I wish my damn property would sell so I can go get my 06 Charger R/T on order before the tranny is pooched completly

DarkKnight
09-18-2005, 01:05 PM
My tranny is on its way to heaven. It slips going around corners and during hard accelerations. I wish my damn property would sell so I can go get my 06 Charger R/T on order before the tranny is pooched completly

That seems most definitly like a low fluid issue. Perhaps not beating on your car when it's having problems would be a good idea. :smack:

To the rest of you, remember that your transmissions are electronically shifted, thus vulnerable to heat failures. If the shift solenoids, or the line pressure solenoid in the valve body stop working 100%, when they get hot they will reduce the hydraulic pressure to the various parts of the trans responsible for holding your trans in gear. It's somewhat like having your shifter between 2 gears in a non electric trans, and attempting to drive it. If it were a clutch pack issue, you should still have either 1st or 2nd gear since they share different clutches. It could also be dirt of some sort blocking the valves, but I doubt that. The easy fix is to pull out the valve body and replace the solenoids. It's not all that difficult, just time consuming, and somewhat messy given that it's all drenched in Dexron III.

Sprucegagt
09-18-2005, 09:25 PM
That seems most definitly like a low fluid issue. Perhaps not beating on your car when it's having problems would be a good idea. :smack:

To the rest of you, remember that your transmissions are electronically shifted, thus vulnerable to heat failures. If the shift solenoids, or the line pressure solenoid in the valve body stop working 100%, when they get hot they will reduce the hydraulic pressure to the various parts of the trans responsible for holding your trans in gear. It's somewhat like having your shifter between 2 gears in a non electric trans, and attempting to drive it. If it were a clutch pack issue, you should still have either 1st or 2nd gear since they share different clutches. It could also be dirt of some sort blocking the valves, but I doubt that. The easy fix is to pull out the valve body and replace the solenoids. It's not all that difficult, just time consuming, and somewhat messy given that it's all drenched in Dexron III.

From what I have read here, the valve body in question is not under the main pan under the car. Instead it is behind the side pan and the only way to get it off is to either drop the cradle or pull the tranny. Either way not an easy task.