Help in removing black shield around gauges.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help in removing black shield around gauges....

freakydeaky
06-06-2005, 08:38 AM
i was dressing up my interior this weekend and came across a minor problem.... i can't seem to remove that black shield around the gauges, i removed the two screws, my steering wheel was lowered as far as it would go,...... i noticed clips holding it in place, i had no problems getting the top part unclipped but after trying to unclip the bottom for a good hour, i was ready to kill someone!.... can anybody give me any tips on removing this damn thing..... it would be greatly appreciated....

action
06-06-2005, 08:52 AM
you have to take off the plastic piece under the steering column where your knees are. There are 2 more screws.

freakydeaky
06-06-2005, 08:53 AM
thanks alot!

Joeyavhu
06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I was having this same problem yesterday.

Love my GT
06-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Wow everybody must of been trying to do the same thing. I tried to get mine off and couldn't figure it out so I just quit, frustrated. But now I can do it.
Thanks.

crazypontiac03
06-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Just try not to take it off completely. Its a PITA to try and get back on over top the steering wheel adjuster. Plus i never did get mine to "lock"into the top one.

Joeyavhu
06-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I still cant get mine... Does anyone have a little more detail description or pictures perhaps of where these other screws are. The thing that my knee hits is the entire dashboard, And, I dont think that whole thing is supposed to come off. Thanks.

action
06-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Maybe they're blocked by the plastic of the steering column. Its been a year or so since I've taken mine apart. There are definantly 2 more screws though. Bloody GM's, I wish they were like the old cars that had lots of bolts and screws instead of clips and hidden screws. At least everything stayed tight and didn't rattle.

Joeyavhu
06-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Thats true. I hear a few things rattling when the subs hit, but, I have to take off that entire black piece that is right behind the steering wheel and that holds all the mechanical stuff in, right?

action
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
From what I remember, you have to take off the plastic that surrounds the steering column. Come to think of it, it was a PITA to get the plastic around the tilt steering lever. I forgot that the knee panel is one big piece, its removeable in alot of other cars.

BigTaters
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
this is what u are lookin for i do believe

http://evicerator.com/cars/grandam/interior/cowl.html

here is the rest of the interior & other different GA mods this guy had incase u need instructions..

http://evicerator.com/cars/grandam.html

Joeyavhu
06-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Perfect, That was just what I needed. I have been to that site a bunch of times, but I didnt even think of it. Thanks.

Joeyavhu
06-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Also, in your little icon, are those LEDs behind the Pontiac logo, like you cut out the letters and stuck plexiglass behind it, then some LEDs, thanks for this too.