K&N Gold Filter Life [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : K&N Gold Filter Life

pyro
06-07-2005, 12:43 PM
I did a search as well as went to the k&n website, but i could not find an age in miles when you are supposed to change the filter out. Since it is a k&n i trust that i can leave it in as long as i have the synthetic iol til i will change it at 7k. Am i alright leaving it in that long?

coupe
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
K&N is lifetime.....that means you dont change them out.

coupe
06-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Do you mean oil filter? or air filter?

badboy2451
06-07-2005, 01:42 PM
oil

pyro
06-07-2005, 01:54 PM
yea oil,i just went to the bobistheoilguy site and it didnt say anything. i dont have a k&n air filter yet, ive got a fram.

BigTaters
06-07-2005, 02:15 PM
fram uuuuuuuuuck lol

i dunno bout the oil filters. i just use ac delco ones.. they are made way better than most filters.. we used to have 3 or 4 cut apart to show how much better they were

air filters i clean and oil mine every couple months.. im gunna get a CAI soon so i shall be sellin my KN soon.. it was like 75 bucks canadian (wholesale +10%) if i recall.. damn expensive lol better than payin like 35 bucks a pop to gm though haha

pyro
06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
hmm, do you think its ok to leave it in then? i mean they are supposed to be really good filters, why not last that long. I know my fram air filter sucks, i got cai commin tomorrow!

Panacea
06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Air filter lasts 1,000,000 miles/10 yrs/7-10 cleanings. Oil filter, may last two oil changes, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I wouldn't waste my money on one (oil filter that is).

pyro
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
you dont use oil filters? lol
but seriously, why dont you use k&n, if thats what you meant?

Mike Jung
06-07-2005, 05:41 PM
...i dunno bout the oil filters. i just use ac delco ones.. they are made way better than most filters.. we used to have 3 or 4 cut apart to show how much better they were

air filters i clean and oil mine every couple months.. im gunna get a CAI soon so i shall be sellin my KN soon.. it was like 75 bucks canadian (wholesale +10%) if i recall.. damn expensive lol better than payin like 35 bucks a pop to gm though haha
In Canada:

Regarding: AC Delco oil filters are well built.
Because AC Delco PF-xxc (like: PF-47c & PF-52c) are made by the people, who make the Wix (NAPA Gold & Carquest Premuim Blue) oil filters.
The Wix (NAPA Gold & Carquest Premuim Blue) oil filters are a higher end oil filter (according to Wix) compared to the AC Delco 'c' versions of oil filters.

& WOW!
Did you ever over-pay for the K&N Drop-in air filter & AC Delco air filters.
If you need AC Delco parts: Find an AC Delco 'wholesaler/distributor' that is open to the public.
I paid like $55Cdn for a 'Malibu' (before there was a GA version, with a gasket option) K&N air filter through Canadian Tire.
When K&N products are on sale 20% off.
I have paid like $15Cdn for our AC Delco air filters (I thought it was only like $20 or $25Cdn Retail).

pyro
06-07-2005, 05:43 PM

Mike Jung
06-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I did a search as well as went to the k&n website, but i could not find an age in miles when you are supposed to change the filter out. Since it is a k&n i trust that i can leave it in as long as i have the synthetic iol til i will change it at 7k. Am i alright leaving it in that long?
Yes.

But since (I believe) this is your 1st Mobil 1 (synthetic) oil run:
I would NOT run an extra long/exteneded oil change interval.
Keep the 1st oil change interval shorter; like maybe 3K miles.
To clean out some of the deposits in your engine (that was left over from when you used 'dino' motor oil).

You might also want to consider trying an 'over-sized' oil filter, that is similar in size to an AC Delco PF-52, like: K&N Performance GoldŽ Oil Filter # HP-2001 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-2001) (vs the stock size AC Delco PF-47).

pyro
06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
ok, ill see if autozone has any, thanks.

Mike Jung
06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
...You might also want to consider trying an 'over-sized' oil filter, that is similar in size to an AC Delco PF-52, like: K&N Performance GoldŽ Oil Filter # HP-2001 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-2001) (vs the stock size AC Delco PF-47).

ok i know im gonna sound like a dumbass, but it will work fine with our cars? is it more expensive?
Sorry, I don't have 1st hand experience.

K&N oil filters are too $$$ for my blood.

Maybe someone else that has tried an over-sized K&N oil filter, can confirm for our generation GA's.

But I do know that: AC Delco PF-52c & NAPA Gold 1036 (Wix) oil filter physically fit/work for our cars.

pyro
06-07-2005, 07:10 PM
and those are oversized right? would you reccomend those all the time, or just for first syn use? are they more expensive than regular?

Mike Jung
06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
...You might also want to consider trying an 'over-sized' oil filter, that is similar in size to an AC Delco PF-52, like: K&N Performance GoldŽ Oil Filter # HP-2001 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-2001) (vs the stock size AC Delco PF-47).

ok i know im gonna sound like a dumbass, but it will work fine with our cars? is it more expensive?
Sorry, I don't have 1st hand experience.

K&N oil filters are too $$$ for my blood.

Maybe someone else that has tried an over-sized K&N oil filter, can confirm for our generation GA's.

But I do know that: AC Delco PF-52c & NAPA Gold 1036 (Wix) oil filter physically fit/work for our cars.

and those are oversized right? would you reccomend those all the time, or just for first syn use? are they more expensive than regular?
Yes.

Stock is AC Delco PF-47 oil filter.
'Over-sized' (bigger than stock) is AC Delco PF-52 oil filter.

IMO, I would use an 'over-sized' filter all the time; & long as it physically fits.

According to AutoZone (http://www.autozone.com): K&N Performance GoldŽ Oil Filter # HP-1001 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-1001) & K&N Performance GoldŽ Oil Filter # HP-2001 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-2001) are priced the same at $12.99US.

pyro
06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
ok, thanks ill go return the 1001 tomorrow and buy the 2001, then sit and wait for my car to come back from the shop... :mad:

Mike Jung
06-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Opps...

We are talking about you having a 3.4L V6 engine; not the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine ?

[I sometimes forget not everyone has the 3.4L V6 engine.]

pyro
06-07-2005, 09:06 PM
i dont see a point in buying a car that big with only 2.4 gerbils running around, i prefer 3.4, the last one adds 20hp.

i went from v8 to v6 in my last two cars, and i could never bring myself any lower than that! lol

Malaclypse
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Yeh. Run your first M1 oil change for around 3k like was mentioned above.. hell, you might want to do that for the next two oil changes and use an oversized Delco filter because they're cheaper. Then on your third oil change switch to the K+N oil filter and drain it 7k later. I do that and I live in a dusty ass city.

pyro
06-07-2005, 10:35 PM
ok so ill use the AC Delco PF-52 for the first couple of times then, good idea, cheaper. Anyone reccomend a better synthetic oil than mobil1?

badboy2451
06-08-2005, 01:18 AM
stick with mobil 1....thats what i perfer hands down, some say purple royal or castrol syn german blend but i would say roll with m1

pyro
06-08-2005, 04:26 AM
ok thanks.