Larger Fuel Filters [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Larger Fuel Filters

rickhigginshtbr
06-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Hey,
Does anyone know if a larger fuel filter would fit onto the 99+'s? It seems like the regular sized ones get pretty bad after roughly 9 months.

papiogagt
06-08-2005, 09:12 PM
sorry pyro, but he asked for FUEL filters.. not oil. everyone knows you can get oversized oil filters..

back on topic..

even if there is an oversized fuel filter.. not sure if you'll see ANY advantages to it. but i highly doubt you'll find one with the right fittings..

rickhigginshtbr
06-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Actually, Pyro, seeing that thread reminded me that I wanted to investigate this.

The only advantage that I think may be possible is that it will extend the time between fuel filter changes, and possibly filter better. Like I said, after 9 months my car feels as though I'm in need of a change. If I could get closer to a year out of one, I'd be happier. Hopefully my dealership would know, if no one else does.

pyro
06-08-2005, 09:21 PM
ahh, my mistake FUEL not OIL although easily confused... sorry :hang:

Malaclypse
06-08-2005, 11:51 PM
If your fuel filter clogs after only 9 months I'd suggest you take a sample of your fuel to see what exactly is floating around in the bottom of your tank. You can do this by unhooking the plastic line going into the filter, sticking the end in a clear plastic bottle and cycle the key on for 2 seconds, then off. Repeat until you get a decent sample. This will show you if and how much trash is getting past the strainer and into your fuel filter.

Alot of trash means you need to buy fuel at a different station. The newer the station is the better. Their tanks haven't been sitting underground corroding for a decade or more.

Either that or just bite the bullet and change your fuel filter every 10k miles. I do this because my fuel pump is whining like a sissy and a fresh filter helps keep it alive. Hey, it beats buying a new $400 sender from the General.

action
06-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Actually, on these cars the sending unit is getting screwed no matter how often you change your filter becuse the filter is after the pump. There is a screen on the end of the pick up tube in the tank to keep big chunks out of the pump, but it still gets the brunt of dirt and grime. At least its not getting to your fuel rail and injectors.