Whistle noise from tires [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whistle noise from tires

Costa
06-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Hello all.

Once again my crappy car has another problem (I think im gonna break the record!.)

I have a whistling noise coming from my tires. It is an oscillation noise, meaning it comes in rotation of the wheel. When I drive, it gets faster and faster. It seems to be coming from all 4 tires.

Another thing, I can hear it more in a closed spaces, like when Im driving beside a wall or other cars.

I've read about the RSA's possibly causing noises, but I don't think it's the same problem. I have 50000 kms on the car...half of that on the RSA's since I use winter tires. I dont recall if the noise is there with the winter tires, since the windows were always up during the cold months.

Anybody have any ideas?

freakydeaky
06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
i would be willing to bet you have one or more "bad" wheel hub assemblies....... jack the car up, start it and give it some gas, listen to each of the wheels, this will tell you exactly which hub assemblies need to be replaced.

AznGA
06-14-2005, 09:49 AM
RSA's are known for noises.

Costa
06-14-2005, 04:04 PM
i would be willing to bet you have one or more "bad" wheel hub assemblies....... jack the car up, start it and give it some gas, listen to each of the wheels, this will tell you exactly which hub assemblies need to be replaced.

Can you please explain what exactly is a wheel hub assembly. Is it something I can see and insepct if I remove the wheels?

tenspeed
06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Let's approach this problem logically. I consider running a car on jackstands to be something left for seasoned professionals.

You say the noise is coming from all four wheels. How about trying an inspection of the tire tread. Check the tire pressure and if it's good try inflating an extra five pounds to see if the noise changes. You could also rotate the tires from front to back to see if anything changes.

Wheel bearings can not be easily inspected. They are inboard of the rotors and support the wheel. If you have a bad wheel bearing, it will make more noise when you turn. A bad bearing on the right front will make more noise when you turn left. That is because there is more weight on that bearing.

Try those couple of things and let us know how you make out.