Need help! Leaking Coolant!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Leaking Coolant!!

82-T/A
06-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Hey guys,

I need help. I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT. It has a 2.4 TwinCam with the automatic 4T60e. It has been
leaking coolant lately. I've had a couple of issues with my cooling system, and I can't seem to find the leak.
The leak isn't MAJOR, but it does leak enough that after the car has been sitting the entire day, the warning light
will come on.

About 3 months ago, the thermostat got stuck. It started running hotter than normal, so I replaced it myself with a
180 degree one. Then 2 months ago, I noticed the leak. I assumed it was the waterpump as they always seem to
go out at around 80k miles (which is the exact mileage I have now on my car). So.. I paid $800 bucks to have it
replaced! :)

Well, I'm really trying to save my money and I want to do fix this myself. I certainly have the technical know-how
as I've rebuilt my own engines before, but I just don't have a lot of time. I was wondering if anyone knows
or could possible give me some sort of hint as to where they think this leak could be coming from.

The leak seems to be coming from the back of the engine (the side of the motor closes to the firewall). It
appears to be leaking slightly more towards the drivers side.

I know it's not the heater core because I don't have any coolant leaking into my passenger compartment.

I haven't driven the car in almost a month... which is ashame because it's a NICE car and I know that when
a car sits... it starts to deteriorate quickly. In any case, I'm worried it might be a freeze plug.
What are the chances?

Thanks!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice (On Order!)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE WS6
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

SilverGAGT04
06-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Check the plastic outlet neck. They usually crack and leak slowly at first and then drips down the trans and then on the ground. And the stock t-stat is 180*.

82-T/A
06-15-2005, 06:19 AM
Check the plastic outlet neck. They usually crack and leak slowly at first and then drips down the trans and then on the ground. And the stock t-stat is 180*.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I'll check that out.

I'm glad to hear that the stock one was 180, because that's what I pulled out of there as well, I was assuming that maybe it had been replaced.

I'll check that out....

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice (On Order!)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE WS6
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter