Caliper bracket bolts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Caliper bracket bolts

Kyle
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
The two caliper bracket bolts will not go back in. I keep tightening and tightening and nothing happens. How can I get them back in tight?

boost21
06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
are you sure they are not striped?

Kyle
06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
are you sure they are not striped?
I don't know how can I tell you can't see where the bolts go into the threads.

Kyle
06-14-2005, 02:26 PM
The bracket does not have to come off to put new pads on anyway. Too bad I did not know that.

Kdawg207
06-14-2005, 02:27 PM
sounds like yur just not ligned up right...that has happened to me

Kyle
06-14-2005, 03:10 PM
To put new brake pads on is it possable to leave the bracket on the caliper and just remove the caliper and bracket all together. Why does the bracket and caliper have to come off in two different pieces?

Kyle
06-14-2005, 05:08 PM
anyone know?

tenspeed
06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Use a mirror to see if the holes are lining up or use a #2 Phillips head screwdriver to hold the one side when you stick the bolt in the other hole.

Kyle
06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
in case some of you diden't know I am talking about the sliding bolts.

Joker694
06-15-2005, 05:32 AM
To put new brake pads on is it possable to leave the bracket on the caliper and just remove the caliper and bracket all together. Why does the bracket and caliper have to come off in two different pieces?

yes it is possible, it is not neccesary to take them off seperately to change your pads. All you have to do is take off the two caliper bracket bolts and take off the whole thing

action
06-15-2005, 11:08 AM
If its the slide bolts, you have to peel back the rubber boot and put a wrench on the slider to keep it from spinning (its what the bolts that hold the caliper on screw into.

The only other 2 bolts hold the bracket to the hub, and if they dont line up then make sure the mating surfaces are clean, spin a lug nut onto the wheel post to hold the rotor in the right spot and they should line up pretty easy.

Kyle
06-17-2005, 05:57 PM
If its the slide bolts, you have to peel back the rubber boot and put a wrench on the slider to keep it from spinning (its what the bolts that hold the caliper on screw into.

The only other 2 bolts hold the bracket to the hub, and if they dont line up then make sure the mating surfaces are clean, spin a lug nut onto the wheel post to hold the rotor in the right spot and they should line up pretty easy.
Could you repeat that first part don't make sense really Thanks.

lufkintravis
06-17-2005, 09:30 PM
if your just changing the pads, all you have to do is remove the upper smaller bolts (sliding ones) and the caliper body comes off to change the pads... you only have to remove the larger lower bolts to remove the whole caliper assembly from the wheel hub assembly (i.e. to remove the whole assembly so you can slide the rotor off the lug studs)... hope that helps a little...

Breadfan
06-17-2005, 10:25 PM
The slider bolts will turn internally as you tighten them - you must use a pair of pliers or wrench to hold them underneath the rubber boot portion. If you look behind the caliper where the rubber boot is on the slider bolts, peel that back and when you tighten them you'll see the entire slider bolt spinning.

You'll also notice under that rubber boot the surface isn't completely round - it's squared off to allow a wrench or what I like to use, needle nose pliers to fit on. So with one hand brace that and with the other tigten the slider bolts.

Make sure to grease your sliders with brake grease if possible otherwise std. axle grease will be better than nothing.