LIM Gone, Need Suggestions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Gone, Need Suggestions

lufkintravis
06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, I knew it was going to happen, just didn't know when... It's gone but when i get it replaced, is there any actions i can take to prolong the next one (ie: don't drive hard, cooler thermostat, or anything else)? :rx7:

Malaclypse
06-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Above everything else, Torque all the LIM bolts to spec and use blue loctite on each one. Clean up the sealing surfaces really well.

Other than that, change your coolant every 2 years or so.

AznGA
06-15-2005, 10:50 PM
There isn't much you can do about it. The improved gasket kit should last longer. Make sure you use some sealent too.

lufkintravis
06-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Work will be done under warranty, but just wanted to know how to minimize the chances of it going again after warranty. (73K now, warranty out @ 80K miles)

SilverGAGT04
06-16-2005, 07:19 PM
When I do mine, I am going to change over to green, I would do that. Today I did a LIM reseal on a 13,000 mile engine. It was a 02 GAGT. When I pulled the lower manifold, the coolant passages were blocked over 60% of the way with red junk, a soft grit type gunk. The coolant passages in the gasket were crushed and the little sealant strip around the plastic was eaten away. I almost wonder if the gunk causes a hot spot that breaks down the gasket faster. There is no real way to see if that is the cause but it might be possible. I know you all on here believe that Dex-cool is not the reason that the gaskets fail, but I believe it is. Since 96, intake reseals increased in accurance by 10000%. 96 is when GM changed over to Dex-cool in all their cars. EVER SINCE....

TOMGT99
06-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Well I'm not willing to take that chance on converting to something else. As someone once said on here "if it's good enough for Corvettes then it's good enough for my car!" If the coolant is the case then GM is part of a caspiracy on consumers.

Malaclypse
06-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Don't switch over to green coolant. Dexcool does not eat gaskets for the last frikkin time!

Properly maintain your coolant and you won't get that nasty sludge.

lufkintravis
06-17-2005, 09:46 PM
why do i have visible sludge @ 3 years and 70K miles, thought it's supposed to last 100K? I'm getting the same response from the GM tech above that i'm getting from one of my best friends that owns a radiator shop... I have to go with the majority, as well as the logical explanation, and yes, as for the conspiracy theory, GM does make obvious mistakes with no concern to correct them, after all, they still sell cars to many people who still think domestic cars even hold a smoking candle to foreign engineering...

Malaclypse
06-18-2005, 01:31 AM
GM "says' the coolant is good to 100k but everyone knows better. However, in defense of Dexcool, it protects aluminum parts alot better than green coolant.

As a matter of fact, green coolant had a bad tendency to scale on the engine block and inside the radiator. That can clog and cause a cooling system to fail long before its overdue.

Every LIM or water pump job I've done at the shop I've filled with factory reccomended coolant (usually dexcool). And every single one has never come back for a leak of any type.

TOMGT99
06-19-2005, 02:30 AM
As for the sludge.. the whole reason for this discussion is based on the LIM being replaced. As a result of that sludge is going to be there on the account of oil and coolant mixture. Ever since I got mine replaced over a year ago it's been (the coolant) clear and free from the sludge that I encoutered before the replacement.

Panacea
06-19-2005, 07:18 AM
God damnit. How many times do we have to say this. It's not the focking coolant causing the issue. It's a shatty engine design that is causing it.