2.4 engine replacement---How Bad? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 engine replacement---How Bad?

nebula72
06-19-2005, 05:39 PM
The engine on my 2.4L 97 GAGT blew. I thought I sold the car but the buyer stiffed me. Im thinking about keeping it and putting in a new engine in but it looks pretty tough. I wanted to get some input on doing this. Just to let you know I dont have much experience with FWD cars but have done plenty of engine swaps in RWD cars. Where is a good place to get step by step instructions on doing this?? OR is this a lost cause.

thanks

Tom

Coop
06-19-2005, 07:36 PM
if you've already done engine swaps in RWD cars then you've got the basics covered. Only real differences is the engine/transaxle will most likely sit in a cradle so the motor mounts will be different and it varies alot from car to car - typically there are 4 altogether. Another difference is pulling the halfshafts as opposed to just sliding a driveshaft out - they usually feel like they're stuck - pull harder, they will come out :D Biggest problem is things are just more cramped but with the 4-banger it shouldn't be as bad. It's really not as bad as it looks, good luck!

nebula72
06-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks Coop. Someone told me that some people pull the engine by dropping the motor under the car as opposed to lifting it out. Is that true?

Thanks

tom

http://www.1972chevelless.com

Coop
06-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah you can do it that way, that's how most are put together at the factory anyway, but I've pulled FWD's out of the top plenty o times. Dropping them out the bottom is really only an option if you have the available lifts, etc. It's usually only 4 bolts that hold the engine cradle to the frame but you still have to remove the engine from the cradle then anyways. I'd take a good look at where all th mounts are and how they're oriented first to make sure.

Cars like 4th gen f-bodys you almost always have to pull out the bottom though, sonsabitches :D

action
06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
unbolt everythign like you would normally, take off the main crank pulley (sometimes they come off without a puller) and the engine will come out from above with out having to remove the transaxle. This saves alot of time and fustration. Dont try to pull it with the crank pulley on, it needs that extra inch to clear.

coupe
06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
If the car is paid off and you have a different car to drive then your set. Just take your time. If it takes a year then oh well it was a fun experiance and something to tinker on when the woman is in a b!tchy mood.

action
06-22-2005, 06:37 AM
We did a swap the way I mentioned starting supper time on a friday, worked till 1am (had the old motor out. Saturday we dropped in the new motor and had it running by supper time. Granted we had mechanical experience as hobbyist mechanics only, this was the first 2.4l swap I've ever done so we did pretty good. The time saver was that the new engine was all ready to drop in, so little time was wasted, and we had all the shop supplies picked up. While your swapping, drop in a new set of plugs in the new engine, pick up new oil and filter, new coolant and maybe a fan belt too. Check that all the appropriate sensors are installed in the new engine, if not swap them from your old engine before you drop in the new. Check the rad hoses and stuff too, if they look sketchy, pick up some new ones.

nebula72
06-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the input.. Is there any good books that illustrate this?