Wiring a Eurolite Neon [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Eurolite Neon

traingeek087
06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Just bought a Eurolight 15" neon to put in the rear of the car, and this is the first one i've ever bought so i have a few Qs. It says you can wire it to the battery, do i ground one and take the other and just put a toggle swich in there and run it throught the firewall to the battery? And it has a white line on one of the wires, is this positive?

I know these sound like dumb questions, but I work hard for my money and I don't want to ruin the neon by installing it the incorrect way. Thanks guys.

pyro
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
no, that would mean negativee. you can wire into any switch

traingeek087
06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
so the white is negative, and the one w/o a stripe is positive?

and do i need to run a fuse in there anywhere or should it be alright?

One last Q before I forget. Can i just use some basic wire to run it to the battery? and i am planning on connecting 2 or 3 more neons, so if i run it heavy enough i can connect them to the wire later on to right?

pyro
06-20-2005, 11:19 AM
you dont need a fuse, and you can use speaker wire, that what i used for mine, i have 6 12" neons, and you can wire them in later if i read right.

traingeek087
06-20-2005, 01:30 PM
ok cool. I'm gonna go buy a roll of speaker wire tonight when I get off work. Thanks for the help, I'll post some pics when i get it going, not that anyone cares, but just for the fun of it.

traingeek087
06-20-2005, 02:40 PM
talking to some people, what do you guys think of wiring it into the taillights? where have you guys wired them before?

pyro
06-20-2005, 02:50 PM
i think thats cool, having the underbody brakelight. but i have only wired them into a switchbox i fabbed into the spot where my tape deck was. you can see picks on my cardomain.

tenspeed
06-20-2005, 07:00 PM
You better know which wire is positive and negitive. My neons had the wire with the white stripe as positive. I wired up two backwards and burned the transformers up.

Better double check before hitting them with any volts or you can believe the named pyromanic and says you don't need a fuse.

pyro
06-20-2005, 08:07 PM
You better know which wire is positive and negitive. My neons had the wire with the white stripe as positive. I wired up two backwards and burned the transformers up.

Better double check before hitting them with any volts or you can believe the named pyromanic and says you don't need a fuse.
no **** you would test them, if its backwords they wont turn on, numbnut

traingeek087
06-20-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't want to fry them though, should i just mail the company and ask them?

pyro
06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
ok, if you touch the ends to a hot(powered) source and they dont turn on, then its backwards. Just flip the wires so they match up, and you will know which is positive and negative.

SC/TGrandAm
06-21-2005, 06:24 AM

You resort to name calling when your in the wrong? BTW you dont know what the F- your talking about.

pyro
06-21-2005, 06:27 AM
You resort to name calling when your in the wrong? BTW you dont know what the F- your talking about.

correct me then

SC/TGrandAm
06-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Traingeek,

Heres what I would do, run some 12-18GA (Gauge depends on if your going to run more neons off of that line in the future) up to the front of the car you can tap off of the Cigerette lighter or if you get into the drivers side fuse box theres an orange wire in there you can tap off of. Don't tap off of the tail lights and dont use speaker wire for your runs.

Now you can actually run one single wire your (+) wire up to to the front to a switch, then off of the switch to either the cigerette lighter or the orange wire I was referring to or even any acc powered device on the fuse box (radio, etc). The (-) wire you can ground to a bolt back towards the trunk or tap into a black ground wire. That way you dont have to run a wire up to the front of the car.

Don't forget to fuse the wire, no matter what anybody tells you, fuse the damn wire. It will prevent a fire in the future if a wire should get pinched and ground out or something gets messed up somewhere.

Heres a quick diagram of what im talking about:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/SCTGrandAm1/diagram.jpg

SC/TGrandAm
06-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Dont forget proper connectors and such for the project. You dont just twist two wires together put some electrical tape on it and call it a day.

From what it looks your going to need butt connectors, ring terminals for the grounding, self tapping screws, connectors for the switch, and then T-taps to tap off of the vehicles (+) power.

pyro
06-21-2005, 06:51 AM
i did the same thing, just without a fuse, never had a problem with it

SC/TGrandAm
06-21-2005, 06:54 AM
i did the same thing, just without a fuse, never had a problem with it

Not smart to wire anything up without a fuse. You could wire something up and it last for 100 years without a fuse,but a fuse and holder is what $2 or less? cheap insurance...

Same thing, why do you buy medical insurance? You dont need it right? but yet you still have it (just in case). Think of a fuse like that.

pyro
06-21-2005, 07:10 AM
i guess i never thought about it, i figured i got everything capped off and taped off and where i wired mine there was nothing to pinch it or anything. i guess if there were a situation where one may get pinched id use a fuse. My mistake. :hammer:

traingeek087
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
ok that's a plan. if i tap into the cigarette liter, whenever my car is off the neons will be off so I like that idea. Where do i get some of those things? Radio Shack?

I already have a 12 gauge wire with a 10-20 fuse on it from when I had my old setup (my sterio) and a 12 gauge ground, can i just run the + right into the cigarette lighter and the - into the amp. The amp has a 4 Guage wire for a ground.

One more thing, can i use speaker wire to get to the cigarette lighter?

traingeek087
06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
do i T off of the orange wire or the black one in the cigarette lighter? and does it matter how far away the fuse is from where i tapped it? I was thinking about putting the fuse in the little compartment where all the other fuses are in the dash, you know on the end where the door opens?

pyro
06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
ok that's a plan. if i tap into the cigarette liter, whenever my car is off the neons will be off so I like that idea. Where do i get some of those things? Radio Shack?

I already have a 12 gauge wire with a 10-20 fuse on it from when I had my old setup (my sterio) and a 12 gauge ground, can i just run the + right into the cigarette lighter and the - into the amp. The amp has a 4 Guage wire for a ground.

One more thing, can i use speaker wire to get to the cigarette lighter?

they can still be on when the cars not, and you can use speaker wire, thats what i use, then again im wrong usually...

tenspeed
06-21-2005, 01:00 PM

No, you punk ass-munch, if it's backwards they will never turn on ever again. I didn't make up that part about burning up the transformers. Actually it burns the power transistors due to the reversed voltage applied.

You're a little 17 year old who calls himself a "Computer Genious". The word is spelled Genius there Einstein. Now go put on your orange vest and bring the shopping carts back to the store and I'll go back to maintaining the automated equipment where I work.