Timing\Serpentine belt (97 GA) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Timing\Serpentine belt (97 GA)

butterfly98
06-22-2005, 08:26 PM
The serpentine belt on my car fell off today and I was wondering if this belt also controls the timing. I found instructions on how to put it back on, but I wanted to make sure that I don't have to mess with timing it as well. I tried starting the car before realizing that the belt wan't on, could this have done any damage to the rods or any other part of the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

sc02grandam
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
nothing to do with timing

Matt95GT
06-23-2005, 07:33 AM
With the exception of the 2.0 OHC turbo found in some 87-89 Grand Ams, no engines found in the Grand Am use a belt for timing... they are all chains... yes, even the 2.3/2.4 DOHCs.

action
06-23-2005, 07:45 AM
No worries, but if the belt fell off, you will want to find the reason it fell off, maybe a bad tensioner, pulley out of alignment, in any case a belt should never fall off.

Coop
06-23-2005, 01:19 PM
No worries, but if the belt fell off, you will want to find the reason it fell off, maybe a bad tensioner, pulley out of alignment, in any case a belt should never fall off.
unless it just broke due to age or a cat sitting in your engine bay to keep warm when you start the car (don't ask)

action
06-24-2005, 04:43 AM
Yeah, they break all the time when people dont replace them when they should!!! When mine start to crack and look bad (about every 2nd year) I replace the belt so it dont leave me stranded.

My other post was directed more to the belt popping off in one piece.