SES then a grinding [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES then a grinding

videoman
06-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Today on my way to work I was comming over the nairn overpass when I got a SES light blinking with a warning beep. I pulled up into the front of a parking lot then the car began to stutter badly and a mild grinding noise could be heard. I turned the engine off immediatly. Poped the hood checking everything, all looked well. Oil was clean, coolant was fine, plugs were on np. I gave the car about 20 mins to cool down. Gave the engine a test crank, immediatly there is a heavy grinding sound after 2 secs. I turn it off and gave my dealer a call . Had to call a tow truck ( all coverred under GM Extended warranty). Pushed the car into a spot on the Lot ( btw it was +33'C today ) Called GM and then sent a truck over. Ran to work about 4 blocks away.

All I can say is it sounded like it was comming from the powertrain. I dont think it would be the starter as I had already been driving for about 45mins to an hour before. Normal temps on the gauges along with oil pressure. Didn't have any leaks under the car.

Any ideas, searched with no real leads.

AaronGAGT
06-22-2005, 09:54 PM
well when they read that SES code, it'll shed more light on the subject. Definitely doesnt sound too hot. Blinking SES with a warning beep usually means your engine is taking a bad beating.

curtpank
06-22-2005, 10:13 PM
:bleep: Today on my way to work I was comming over the nairn overpass when I got a SES light blinking with a warning beep. I pulled up into the front of a parking lot then the car began to stutter badly and a mild grinding noise could be heard. I turned the engine off immediatly. Poped the hood checking everything, all looked well. Oil was clean, coolant was fine, plugs were on np. I gave the car about 20 mins to cool down. Gave the engine a test crank, immediatly there is a heavy grinding sound after 2 secs. I turn it off and gave my dealer a call . Had to call a tow truck ( all coverred under GM Extended warranty). Pushed the car into a spot on the Lot ( btw it was +33'C today ) Called GM and then sent a truck over. Ran to work about 4 blocks away.

All I can say is it sounded like it was comming from the powertrain. I dont think it would be the starter as I had already been driving for about 45mins to an hour before. Normal temps on the gauges along with oil pressure. Didn't have any leaks under the car.

Any ideas, searched with no real leads.

sorry to hear about that...keep us posted. I'm having some lights checked out too. Got my first ones last week: "trac off", "abs", and "service vehicle soon" all at once (not blinking). That's an interesting combo that's not mentioned in the manual. I'm getting it checked tomorrow. I'll keep you posted too. Maybe our experiences here will help some of the other ga owners.

action
06-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Bad wheel bearing which includes the ABS sensor.

fishhunter911
06-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Sounds like a broken rod or main bearing went. Either way that sucks dude. Sorry to hear. How many miles on it?

Coop
06-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Doesn't sound good, doubt it's the wheel bearing if the car is just started and never put into drive. I hate to say it, but fishhunter may be on the right track - hopefully not. Keep us posted on this one!

AaronGAGT
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Doesn't sound good, doubt it's the wheel bearing if the car is just started and never put into drive. I hate to say it, but fishhunter may be on the right track - hopefully not. Keep us posted on this one!

the wheel bearing comment was towards the fellow with the ABS trac off problem.. :irate:

Coop
06-23-2005, 05:54 PM
the wheel bearing comment was towards the fellow with the ABS trac off problem.. :irate:
:doh:, my bad

videoman
06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
I got the code diagnosed, and it turns out one of my ignition coils blew. I did have to pay for the diagnosis which turned out to be 60$, but this morning I went to the dealer and brought one of my old stock coils and changed it in the dealers parking lot. I will now try to get my warranty taken care of on the MSD Ignition coil which was bought last august.

I never thought it would be the coils as the sound the car was making when the issue started, but the code said faulty coil and When I replaced the so called bad coil it seemed to start ok. So far all day it seems to be ok.

Thanks for the support and looks as though everything is going good.

Coop
06-24-2005, 05:29 AM
huh, freaky. Maybe with 2 dead cylinders it was just that out of balance? Good to hear it's fixed.

videoman
06-24-2005, 08:17 AM
One of the tech's was saying that he has seen this issue, and it can give a grinding sound. It can also ruin a starter which might explain the sound. Now I just have the chore of getting the warranty on the MSD coil, the part store here is being a pain :thumbsdow , so I might have to deal with MSD directly. That and the towing company lost my FOB ( remote ). But my car isworking so thats the most important thing.

Thanks

fishhunter911
06-27-2005, 05:01 PM
glad to hear it wasnt internal.

videoman
06-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Just to re-affirm my thoughts that the tranny is good, I went for a fluid flush. Everything was very clean and there were no metal particles. I normally go for a change every 1.5-2 yrs.