Step by step instructions for CAI, '96 GA [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Step by step instructions for CAI, '96 GA

GrandAmGT1996
06-23-2005, 08:27 PM
I tryed to search this, but nothing came up. I was looking at some instructions but everyone posts for the new GA's (ex-99+) and well, I'm only sixteen and dont have a lot of cash so I have a 1996 GA. So if anyone is willing to give some instructions, I'd appreciate it. And if this is a re-post...sorry, and please provide a link to the other post.

Breadfan
06-24-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm sorry I can't assist much, as I don't have a '96.

Did you already get the CAI? If so, did it come with instructions? It shouldn't be that difficult to install, the instructions should detail what goes where and what to do. If you haven't bought it yet you could call the seller and see if instructions are included.

If so, is there any part of the instructions you don't understand?

Maybe someone who's done a CAI on a '96 can chime in. Also, it may differ from CAI to CAI depending on the brand and how much OEM tubing it replaces.

Dexman1349
06-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Depends on the engine, 4 or 6 cylinder?

On my 3.1 v6 I have more along the lines of a Warm Air Intake.

**Disclaimer** It's been about a year since I did this so the dimensions might be off. I'm just doing this off of memory.

All I did was removed my intake box, I think there's a couple of screws under the battery that need to be removed. Went to Home Depot and got a couple of 3" hose clamps and a 8" section of about 3" rubber tubing. Went to Checker's and got a cone filter. I drilled about a 1/2" hole in the tube (for the air sensor). I clamped the filter onto the tube, then onto the MAF. Pushed the sensor into the drilled hole and done.

The only other modification I did as far as this is concerned is that I took a sawsall and make the hole for the factory air box about an inch wider all the way around. Definately had to remove the battery and the plastic wheel well to do that.

All done, I think I spent about $30. It helped the car a little bit in the gas milage and very slight horsepower increase. Still enough to notice.

GrandAmGT1996
06-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing what you did except with chrome piping, I also have the 3.1 V6. I'm not going to spend $150+ on a kit. Thats what I had in mind, just wasn't sure what to do with all the damn sensors. Thanks, if anyone else knows anything...post